Is it legal for the president to shake down a state?

Imagine that. Trump feels he has to take action to FORCE blue state governors to protect the 1st Amendment rights of its citizens

I’m sure by now, everybody is familiar with President Trump threatening the state of Michigan because he thought the Secretary of State, Joycelyn Benson, sent out ballots for the next election.

she was actually sending out applications for mail in ballots.

But the president threatened to withhold funding from the state if they sent out ballots which they didn’t do.

so do you think that’s OK? I’m pretty sure withholding federal funds for a political favor is illegal, but is it OK?

we know it’s not legal if one country does it to another, which is why Trump was impeached. But is it legal for a president to do that to a state?

so whether or not it’s legal, do you guys believe it should be OK?

yes, it is done all of the time, for instance, if states do not enforce seat belt laws they can withhold federal highway funds

I’m sure by now, everybody is familiar with President Trump threatening the state of Michigan because he thought the Secretary of State, Joycelyn Benson, sent out ballots for the next election.

But the president threatened to withhold funding from the state if they sent out ballots which they didn’t do.

so do you think that’s OK? I’m pretty sure withholding federal funds for a political favor is illegal, but is it OK?

we know it’s not legal if one country does it to another, which is why Trump was impeached. But is it legal for a president to do that to a state?

....deanrd---Summa Cum Laude graduate of USMB College of Law is ''pretty sure'' it's illegal

hahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhaha

Only the President can suspend certain things under certain circumstances.
You guys better be lucky, that Hillary wasn't elected. Or else your taxes will be very high because of the Paris accord? Green New Deal. They was trying to make it necessary to build new buildings and etc..
But the only way they can get rid of Pres.Trump. It is by controlling both House ans Senate. And they are not focusing to win the Presidential seat. Their main focus is the House and Senate. But they are pretending that they are after the Presidential seat. But actually, they are misdirecting.

Under these circumstances, what kinds of rights and privileges would likely be suspended? For the answer to that question, it is educational to review the various executive orders that can be invoked by the Office of the President. Here are some of them:

• #10990 enables the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
  • #10995 enables the government to seize and control the communication media.
  • #10997 enables the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals, public and private.
  • #10998 enables the government to take over all food supplies and resources, public and private, including farms and equipment.
  • #11000 enables the government to mobilize American civilians into work brigades under government supervision; allows the government to split up families if they believe it necessary.
  • #11001 enables the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions and facilities, both public and private.
  • #11002 empowers the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons: men, women and children, for government service.
  • # 11003 enables the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.
  • #11004 enables the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned as “unsafe”, and establish new locations for populations.
  • #11005 enables the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and storage facilities, public and private.
  • #11051 identifies the responsibilities of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to invoke all Executive Orders in times of heightened international tensions and economic or financial crisis.
  • #11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.
  • #11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen-year period.
  • # 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any (undefined) national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress shall cannot review the action for six months.

You guys better be lucky, that Hillary wasn't elected. Or else your taxes will be very high because of the Paris accord? Green New Deal. They was trying to make it necessary to build new buildings and etc..
But the only way they can get rid of Pres.Trump. It is by controlling both House ans Senate. And they are not focusing to win the Presidential seat. Their main focus is the House and Senate. But they are pretending that they are after the Presidential seat. But actually, they are misdirecting.

Under these circumstances, what kinds of rights and privileges would likely be suspended? For the answer to that question, it is educational to review the various executive orders that can be invoked by the Office of the President. Here are some of them:

• #10990 enables the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
  • #10997 enables the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals, public and private.
  • #10998 enables the government to take over all food supplies and resources, public and private, including farms and equipment.
  • #11000 enables the government to mobilize American civilians into work brigades under government supervision; allows the government to split up families if they believe it necessary.
  • #11001 enables the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions and facilities, both public and private.
  • #11002 empowers the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons: men, women and children, for government service.
  • # 11003 enables the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.
  • #11004 enables the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned as “unsafe”, and establish new locations for populations.
  • #11005 enables the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and storage facilities, public and private.
  • #11051 identifies the responsibilities of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to invoke all Executive Orders in times of heightened international tensions and economic or financial crisis.
  • #11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.
  • #11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen-year period.
  • # 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any (undefined) national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress shall cannot review the action for six months.

This load of horseshit propaganda dates back to 2012 and the 900 Executive Orders Obama was alleged to have put out to seize control of the Nation.

But some will believe it, regardless!

I don’t know was it? That was my question.

but since you brought it up, the very states that refused the Medicaid expansion are about to get hit with a prairie fire called the coronavirus that they never imagined.
And we know that Obamacare became extremely popular and that’s why Republicans were devastated during the 2018 midterms.
The reason was because one they don’t like Americans to have help from the government whether it’s food stamps or healthcare or anything that really helps them. Only billionaires deserve that kind of help. And two, if it came from Obama it had to be awful because he’s black.
Free stuff is always popular with the people not paying the bills. With other people...not so much.
The democrats run their entire scam based on that single simple principle. I'm sure you've heard.

By the way, did you object when Obamaa using the government came down on Arizona for trying to enforce border integrity?

No. Of course you didn't! That was different (quote-unquote).

It's very illegal to do what trump did.

If a democratic president did that he would be facing impeachment and being thrown out of office.

But a republican did it so it's ok.

This load of horseshit propaganda dates back to 2012 and the 900 Executive Orders Obama was alleged to have put out to seize control of the Nation.

But some will believe it, regardless!

Obama wrote 900 Executive Orders?

What drugs is that far right radical extremist on?

In the 8 years he was president Obama wrote a total of 276 Executive Orders. Which is an average of 34.5 a year.

The bush boy wrote more, 291. Which is an average of 36.37 a year.

So far in just less than three and a half years trump has written 151. Which is an average of 43 per year if you go by three and a half years.

What does executive orders have to do with trump breaking the law and trying to blackmail the state of Michigan?

was it okay when Obama did it?

but since you brought it up, the very states that refused the Medicaid expansion are about to get hit with a prairie fire called the coronavirus that they never imagined.
And we know that Obamacare became extremely popular and that’s why Republicans were devastated during the 2018 midterms.
The reason was because one they don’t like Americans to have help from the government whether it’s food stamps or healthcare or anything that really helps them. Only billionaires deserve that kind of help. And two, if it came from Obama it had to be awful because he’s black.

What I dislike is that the left and the right don’t seem to care when their guy does it, and will justify it, like you just did but will scream and get upset when the situation reverses itself, like you are.

Pretty hypocritical, if it is wrong, then it is wrong, no justification, no excuses.

Any sense in your arguments was offset by your last sentence. I reserve my right to criticize any politician regardless of skin color or what's between that politician's legs. Your last sentence implies that we can't criticize Obama because he's black. We cant disagree with AOC because she has a vagina. We can't critisize Iihan Omar because she's part of an "approved" religion. Sorry but I'm an American and I can critisize anyone I want (except my wife of course). This doesn't me racist, sexist, homophobic, islamaphobic, or any other name you want to call me. You can disagree with someone without being a bigot.

Any sense in your arguments was offset by your last sentence. I reserve my right to criticize any politician regardless of skin color or what's between that politician's legs. Your last sentence implies that we can't criticize Obama because he's black. We cant disagree with AOC because she has a vagina. We can't critisize Iihan Omar because she's part of an "approved" religion. Sorry but I'm an American and I can critisize anyone I want (except my wife of course). This doesn't me racist, sexist, homophobic, islamaphobic, or any other name you want to call me. You can disagree with someone without being a bigot.

Dean believes that if you disagree with him, you are a racist, bigot and homophobe. Right Dave.

We're you against Obama threatening federal funding to schools if they didn't let men in girls locker rooms?

Forum List

Back