Is high speed internet a right?

They put in fiber optic lines here last summer. No hookups yet. This is a fairly rural area. I have heard that the project was paid for with a grant. We do not have a land line phone here because it is expensive and does not include long distance. Previously even calling twenty miles away here from the land line meant a long distance charge.

Is it a right to have high speed Internet? Probably not but I'm with Goldcatt, I think it is the right thing to do. Wealth in every way you can think of has been stripped from rural communities for years and years in favor of corporate globalization. Would everyone now deny the people in rural America a service that cities that were built largely with the help of taxpayer dollars enjoy?

They put in fiber optic lines here last summer. No hookups yet. This is a fairly rural area. I have heard that the project was paid for with a grant. We do not have a land line phone here because it is expensive and does not include long distance. Previously even calling twenty miles away here from the land line meant a long distance charge.

Is it a right to have high speed Internet? Probably not but I'm with Goldcatt, I think it is the right thing to do. Wealth in every way you can think of has been stripped from rural communities for years and years in favor of corporate globalization. Would everyone now deny the people in rural America a service that cities that were built largely with the help of taxpayer dollars enjoy?

Not me but without political clout they don't give a shit about your internet.

Well thank you Mr. Dillo. There may come a day rural folks don't give a damn about whether they have those food products that are grown in the rural areas. Who knows justice has a way of working out.

Well thank you Mr. Dillo. There may come a day rural folks don't give a damn about whether they have those food products that are grown in the rural areas. Who knows justice has a way of working out.

If there was only a way rural folks could pull that off-----all my farming relatives in South Dakota all went under in spite of Willie Nelson's best efforts

If there was only a way rural folks could pull that off-----all my farming relatives in South Dakota all went under in spite of Willie Nelson's best efforts
Ya, never know they may get a lil' extra help from above.

Don't get this in a wrong way, but you are getting paid when you deliver, right?

Unfortunately someone else owns all the land now.

And unfortunately without services like high speed internet (or paved roads, or water service, or...or...) the economic development necessary to pay the pols to give a shit won't happen. It's a vicious cycle.

And unfortunately without services like high speed internet (or paved roads, or water service, or...or...) the economic development necessary to pay the pols to give a shit won't happen. It's a vicious cycle.

and don't forget unfair !!! :tongue:

Depends what you mean by "unfair". But don't get me on my soapbox about how much of rural America is treated by our own pols, especially in economically depressed areas hit hard by the usual suspects. We can't pay them off, so they figure it's all right to turn their backs on their own. The forgotten people know they're forgotten, in that I can understand a lot of the anger coming from some on the right. High speed internet may be a small thing, but how many fledgling businesses can develop and grow from practically nothing over the web? That's money, and jobs.

Depends what you mean by "unfair". But don't get me on my soapbox about how much of rural America is treated by our own pols, especially in economically depressed areas hit hard by the usual suspects. We can't pay them off, so they figure it's all right to turn their backs on their own. The forgotten people know they're forgotten, in that I can understand a lot of the anger coming from some on the right. High speed internet may be a small thing, but how many fledgling businesses can develop and grow from practically nothing over the web? That's money, and jobs.

I feel a grassroots movement beginning led by you and Care

Land will be cheap enough one day maybe they can get it back. People had no clue what was going to happen to them when they signed on with the banking devils back in those years or even in most recent years. I talked to one of our neighbors about all the farms lost to bankers. His dad used to run the bankers off his land with the shotgun. When the seventies hit he followed dad's routine but a lot of their neighbors did not. From what I have learned from people that lost their homesteads the banks used every fraudulent tactic back then as they used in my business loan for the mine operation. You know it has worked for them very well and these same bankers now control the majority of the food chain plus a lot more industries most everyone depends on today.

I have sat here and considered it all and it is like a repeat but with houses instead of farm land. Wide spread fraud, a repeat of the flu vaccine fiasco like in 1976, crash and burn the people and take away a bit more of that freedom of choice this country was built on.

Land will be cheap enough one day maybe they can get it back. People had no clue what was going to happen to them when they signed on with the banking devils back in those years or even in most recent years. I talked to one of our neighbors about all the farms lost to bankers. His dad used to run the bankers off his land with the shotgun. When the seventies hit he followed dad's routine but a lot of their neighbors did not. From what I have learned from people that lost their homesteads the banks used every fraudulent tactic back then as they used in my business loan for the mine operation. You know it has worked for them very well and these same bankers now control the majority of the food chain plus a lot more industries most everyone depends on today.

I have sat here and considered it all and it is like a repeat but with houses instead of farm land. Wide spread fraud, a repeat of the flu vaccine fiasco like in 1976, crash and burn the people and take away a bit more of that freedom of choice this country was built on.

I can't imagine farmland ever becoming cheap but I see the similarities. You need to help Care and GC with the grassroots movement for rural America. :cool:

Ame®icano;2095126 said:

Don't get this in a wrong way, but you are getting paid when you deliver, right?
Don't take this wrong but I will probably be the worst enemy that every money grubbing SOB out there has. We won't be delivering anything grown from this place into the hands of those who have abused and mistreated the middle class and poor, ever if I can help it. It would all rot in place first.

Nothing produced by somebody else is a right.

I can't imagine farmland ever becoming cheap but I see the similarities. You need to help Care and GC with the grassroots movement for rural America. :cool:
I've been working on a news blog:cool:

I've been working on a news blog:cool:

uh oh---I knew it

Nothing produced by somebody else is a right.

You are so wrong.

Our Founding Father , Karl Marx, stated that you owe me a living. That you must feed me, educate me, shelter me and clothe me.

200px-Karl_Marx_001.jpg

Forum List

Back