Is Cruz Cheating? He is Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

From your link:
My bold.

Cruz spokeswoman Catherine Frazier said the notice is “a standard mailer that folks at the Iowa Republican Party and other get-out-the-vote groups have used to help motivate low-propensity voters,” according to Politico.

So according to your link this is not the first time this form has been used, but suddenly everyone is all pissed off about it, well not everyone. Also according you your link, the guy raising a stink is a Rubio supporter.

From a voter in this area replied to this comment in Bold
There may have been other similar mailers but the ones have seen so far, they did not use people's names and they did not show up looking like an official document.

Ever thought the State might stop trying to make a buck by selling this information to campaigns, PACs and others. Sure it's public record, but do you honestly think campaigns would go to the expense of compiling it themselves. The State serves it up on a silver platter, all just to make money.
I think they get it for nothing using the FOIA. Or just copy costs.

According to articles I've read the information is licensed (sold) to political organizations, ever know a State to license anything for free?

The information is free, but a copy of it costs money - if you were to get a simple voter list from the county clerk, it'll usually cost about $5 for the data on a CD. Most campaigns use proprietary voterfile databases, though - which are third party commercial products, and cost a whole lot more.

image.jpg

Ted Cruz's campaign is under fire for a mailer it sent out in Iowa that is designed to look like an official government document.

The mailers tell the recipients they have a "voting violation" for failing to caucus in previous elections, and grades them on an A to F basis, Politico reports. The paper has the words "official public record at the top," and also includes actual names of the recipients neighbors.

Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate slammed the campaign, saying the mailer "misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law.”

Cruz Campaign Under Fire for Sending Iowans Controversial Letter

3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg

I know if a candidate sent something to my neighbors disclosing how many times I voted and then graded me on that record, I may show up at the caucus would it definitely wouldn't be for that candidate.

To me that's an invasion of privacy.

From your link:
My bold.

Cruz spokeswoman Catherine Frazier said the notice is “a standard mailer that folks at the Iowa Republican Party and other get-out-the-vote groups have used to help motivate low-propensity voters,” according to Politico.

So according to your link this is not the first time this form has been used, but suddenly everyone is all pissed off about it, well not everyone. Also according you your link, the guy raising a stink is a Rubio supporter.

There may have been other similar mailers but the ones have seen so far, they did not use people's names and they did not show up looking like an official document.

Ever thought the State might stop trying to make a buck by selling this information to campaigns, PACs and others. Sure it's public record, but do you honestly think campaigns would go to the expense of compiling it themselves. The State serves it up on a silver platter, all just to make money.

According to articles I've read the information is licensed (sold) to political organizations, ever know a State to license anything for free?

The information is free, but a copy of it costs money - if you were to get a simple voter list from the county clerk, it'll usually cost about $5 for the data on a CD. Most campaigns use proprietary voterfile databases, though - which are third party commercial products, and cost a whole lot more.

See link in post #20.

image.jpg

Ted Cruz's campaign is under fire for a mailer it sent out in Iowa that is designed to look like an official government document.

The mailers tell the recipients they have a "voting violation" for failing to caucus in previous elections, and grades them on an A to F basis, Politico reports. The paper has the words "official public record at the top," and also includes actual names of the recipients neighbors.

Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate slammed the campaign, saying the mailer "misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law.”

I know if a candidate sent something to my neighbors disclosing how many times I voted and then graded me on that record, I may show up at the caucus would it definitely wouldn't be for that candidate.

To me that's an invasion of privacy.

Feel free to point out where the form says how many times they voted, it says nothing on how the percentages and grade were calculated or what time period was covered.

See link in post #20.

Every state is different - apparently Iowa is pretty shitty when it comes to files - a statewide file will cost $1,500.

It's a moot point, though - Ted Cruz is using "Data Center", or whatever it is that Voter Vault changed their name to.

See link in post #20.

Every state is different - apparently Iowa is pretty shitty when it comes to files - a statewide file will cost $1,500.

It's a moot point, though - Ted Cruz is using "Data Center", or whatever it is that Voter Vault changed their name to.

Great, I'll just file your post under the unsubstantiated claim category.

See link in post #20.

Great, I'll just file your post under the unsubstantiated claim category.

Data Center is a national voter file that's cross-referenced with countless terabytes worth of demographic information, and it's available to any Republican candidate in the country.

Why wouldn't he be using it?

Here's the 2016 Data Center press release: RNC Launches Data Center 2016

I've never used it myself, but I'm interested in how it would stand up against VoteBuilder/VAN - which is the Democratic Party's voter file.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

What Catherine Frazier is saying is probably a lie.

After seeing the mailers, Iowa’s secretary of state, Paul Pate a Republican, issued a statement condemning Cruz’s tactic:

“Today I was shown a piece of literature from the Cruz for President campaign that misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law. Accusing citizens of Iowa of a “voting violation” based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act. There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses.

Additionally, the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never “grades” voters. Nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation. Caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials. Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.”

I said it in the other thread...Cruz is desperate. He really needs a win in Iowa, and he overreached. This should be his bread and butter primary...he was expected to win here. If he loses, or only wins by a narrow margin, it becomes almost impossible to make the argument that he can win the nomination.

There is a way to do this...subtly. This was as subtle as a hammer blow. Folks in the Midwest don't take kindly to this type of coercion. It's disappointing.

BUT...changing hats from ethical to political, from a political standpoint...desperate times call for desperate measures. This was a miscalculation, but he is doing all he can to try to win within the law. Hard to blame a guy for that.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

After seeing the mailers, Iowa’s secretary of state, Paul Pate a Republican, issued a statement condemning Cruz’s tactic:

“Today I was shown a piece of literature from the Cruz for President campaign that misrepresents the role of my office, and worse, misrepresents Iowa election law. Accusing citizens of Iowa of a “voting violation” based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act. There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses.

Additionally, the Iowa Secretary of State’s Office never “grades” voters. Nor does the Secretary of State maintain records related to Iowa Caucus participation. Caucuses are organized and directed by the state political parties, not the Secretary of State, nor local elections officials. Also, the Iowa Secretary of State does not “distribute” voter records. They are available for purchase for political purposes only, under Iowa Code.”

I am so glad that someone figured this out and just not vote, many probably don't know still and won't vote...He must really think they are all really stupid.
The internet has been a very good tool.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

I am so glad that someone figured this out and just not vote, many probably don't know still and won't vote...He must really think they are all really stupid.

Cruz lies with every breath so it would follow that his campaign staff would be involved in this deceptive and criminal mailing.

Republican voters are quite depraved but even these of these depraved individuals won't sink to the depravity of Ted Cruz. The state attorney general and the US DOJ needs to show up with some handcuffs and a paddy wagon and put the Cruz gang in jail.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Why do you call Frazier a liar and not Pate? The form said the score was based on voter participation, not caucus participation as Pate stated. It did say that participation in the caucus could improve the score. Also if you had actually kept up with the thread, another poster posted evidence that similar forms had been mailed in the past, they just didn't include names. That being said, there is evidence that Frazier told the truth and Pate lied, and you can't seem to be able tell the difference. Carry on.

Congratulations, Mr. ___ of __________ Street! YOU may HAVE WON a 2016 CADILLAC ESCALADE.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Cruz lies with every breath so it would follow that his campaign staff would be involved in this deceptive and criminal mailing.

Republican voters are quite depraved but even these of these depraved individuals won't sink to the depravity of Ted Cruz. The state attorney general and the US DOJ needs to show up with some handcuffs and a paddy wagon and put the Cruz gang in jail.

Feel free to post the specific law he broke. If you can.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Personal Moral Law...Wouldn't you be upset if all of your neighbors saw this lie?

CZ_ecyWUEAAmUtR.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Personal Moral Law...Wouldn't you be upset if all of your neighbors saw this lie?

CZ_ecyWUEAAmUtR.jpg

These voters could probably sue Cruz.

image.jpg

From your link:
My bold.

Ted Cruz's Iowa Mailers Are More Fraudulent Than Everyone Thinks - The New Yorker

Ted Cruz's Ludicrous Voter-Shaming Mailer Is a Deceptive ...

1. Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any ...
    18 U.S. Code § 1341 - Frauds and swindles | US Law | LII ...

Forum List

Back