IRS doesn't tell over a million taxpayers that their SSNs were stolen by illegal aliens

As long as they don't use my SS number other than to have a place for their employers to put funds in, I would think it benefits me since they can't collect.

The more SS contributions to my account the better. The more contributions, the higher the payout.
not really you would never get the W2 for the income paid to the identity thief and you would be on the hook for not reporting that income as well as for the taxes due on that income

I don't know about that. If the government can't catch people putting money into your account, I doubt they would question it when paying it back.

one thing the IRS will eventually do is get the money they are owed
and it's not the paying it back it's the failure to report the income

Shouldn't be too hard to prove that it wasn't your income. If you work full time, they can't claim you were also working full-time 300 miles away or more from your home.

Chances are when you file to get on SS, nobody will know the difference. The government isn't as slick as you think. Even if they catch it, what can they do other than give you the SS amount that you worked for? You really didn't lose anything and stand a chance to gain big-time.

Forum List

Back