IQ Question Thread

gop_jeff said:
You have nine coins. One of the nine is counterfeit. The counterfeit coin can only be distinguished by weight - it is heavier than the rest. Using a balance scale only twice, how would you find the counterfeit coin?

Okay, I would seperate them into groups of three. Then measure two of the groups together. If the two balanced the bad coin is in the group I did not put on the balance, if one is heavier than the other then the coin is in that group. Take the other two groups and pocket them.

Take two of the coins in the remaining group and put them on the balance. If they weigh the same the remaining coin is the bad one, if one is heavier than the other then it is the counterfeit.

Throw the counterfeit away and pocket the other two coins!

no1tovote4 said:
Okay, I would seperate them into groups of three. Then measure two of the groups together. If the two balanced the bad coin is in the group I did not put on the balance, if one is heavier than the other then the coin is in that group. Take the other two groups and pocket them.

Take two of the coins in the remaining group and put them on the balance. If they weigh the same the remaining coin is the bad one, if one is heavier than the other then it is the counterfeit.

Throw the counterfeit away and pocket the other two coins!

You're the man! :bow3:

gop_jeff said:
Can't... it's quittin' time!

Ok, smell ya later!

My friend e-mailed me this one, it's pretty funny!

Read each line aloud without making any mistakes. If you make a mistake you MUST start again without going any further.

This is this puzzle
This is is puzzle
This is how puzzle
This is to puzzle
This is keep puzzle
This is an puzzle
This is idiot puzzle
This is busy puzzle
This is for puzzle
This is forty puzzle
This is seconds! puzzle

No go back and read the third word in every line, starting at the top.

no1tovote4,

You never got an explanation for your question, but I can see that the answer was also a square of another integer, like the examples. Good question.

-----------------------------------------------
Here's another question to keep the thread alive.

You're a foreigner travelling in America, where there are only Bush supporters and Liberals. You know also that Bush people always tell the truth, and Liberals always lie. :)

To stop wasting time talking to Liberals, you learn to ask one question to weed them out. What question is that?

Comrade said:
no1tovote4,

You never got an explanation for your question, but I can see that the answer was also a square of another integer, like the examples. Good question.

-----------------------------------------------
Here's another question to keep the thread alive.

You're a foreigner travelling in America, where there are only Bush supporters and Liberals. You know also that Bush people always tell the truth, and Liberals always lie. :)

To stop wasting time talking to Liberals, you learn to ask one question to weed them out. What question is that?

There are hundreds of questions you could use, for example, "Did the sun rise today?"

There was something like your question in the movie "Labyrinth" with David Bowie. Jennifer Connelly came upon a door guarded by 2 monsters who would let her pass if she could figure out which one always lied and which one always told the truth, but she could only ask one of them one question.

MissileMan said:
There are hundreds of questions you could use, for example, "Did the sun rise today?"

There was something like your question in the movie "Labyrinth" with David Bowie. Jennifer Connelly came upon a door guarded by 2 monsters who would let her pass if she could figure out which one always lied and which one always told the truth, but she could only ask one of them one question.

You're on the right track, but that's not the answer within the framework of the question which I was looking for. You only have the fact that Liberals lie, and Bush Supporters tell the truth, not that the sun rose that day.

Comrade said:
You're on the right track, but that's not the answer within the framework of the question which I was looking for. You only have the fact that Liberals lie, and Bush Supporters tell the truth, not that the sun rose that day.

Given those facts only, there are three questions that would work:

1. Do liberals always lie?
2. Do Bush supporters always tell the truth?
3. Do liberals always lie and do Bush supporters always tell the truth?

A Bush supporter will answer yes to any of these, a liberal will answer no.

A ship in port has a rope ladder that hangs over the side and into the water. The rungs on the ladder are exactly a foot apart from center to center. At low tide, three rungs of the ladder are underwater. How many rungs will be underwater at high tide, which is exactly three feet higher than low tide?

MissileMan said:
A ship in port has a rope ladder that hangs over the side and into the water. The rungs on the ladder are exactly a foot apart from center to center. At low tide, three rungs of the ladder are underwater. How many rungs will be underwater at high tide, which is exactly three feet higher than low tide?

What is 'center-to-center'?

MissileMan said:

That would be three. The ship rises with the water. Unless the ship took on tons of new load, there would always be three under the water.

no1tovote4 said:
That would be three. The ship rises with the water. Unless the ship took on tons of new load, there would always be three under the water.

Your turn

I hope I can step in here with another of my ad-hoc questions.

Three astronauts are floating freely in space, and in physical contact with each other, at zero velocity relative to a point in space. They have the freedom of movement to perform any manuever humanly possible, and can do so with perfect timing.

Assuming they are all equally strong, describe the optimal way for them to impart the fasted speed away from their position for any one astronaut.

Trapeze in Space:

Two astronauts form in a straight line, feet to feet, then join legs in a an interlocking, kneeling position. In this arrangement, their hands remain free at opposite ends, and they may use the contractions of their legs to provide an 'engine' which will power the centrifigal forces for the third astronaut, who will eventually be released at maximum velocity.

The third astronaut begins by being 'pulled up' by one of the two so that he begins to swing around and come face to face with the one in the bottom half of the 'engine'.

The process is repeated until the escape velocity of the orbiting astronaut exceeds the strength a dual hand-to-hand or hand-to-foot grip, which is quite significant. (ask any trapeze artist).

In this rotating trapeze, eventually centrifical forces will tear the perfectly timed grip of the astronauts apart from the orbiting one, and he will be sent off into space with much more speed than any brief muscular contraction between them could provide.

The orbiting astronaut acts as a bank for storing the arm/leg movements of the other two leg-locked ones.

By storing the energy from each prior effort by increasing the speed of orbit, eventually the very high tensile strength of a dual-handed human grip is exceeded, and all the saved energy from the orbiting astronaut is directed at high speed away from the other two.

Forum List

Back