Into The Wild

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Excellent and compelling movie with great scenery, based on the book which was based on a true story- there is some dramatic license used, but well within the story line- this is a review of the book, which the movie holds pretty true to

Amazon.com

excerpt:
"Terrifying... Eloquent... A heart-rending drama of human yearning." --New York Times

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How Christopher Johnson McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and, unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw the maps away. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

Jon Krakauer constructs a clarifying prism through which he reassembles the disquieting facts of McCandless's short life. Admitting an interst that borders on obsession, he searches for the clues to the drives and desires that propelled McCandless. Digging deeply, he takes an inherently compelling mystery and unravels the larger riddles it holds: the profound pull of the American wilderness on our imagination; the allure of high-risk activities to young men of a certain cast of mind; the complex, charged bond between fathers and sons.

The dude was a complete moron and totally unprepared for what he was facing.
Hell,I could have done it better.
His total lack of understanding on how to prepare was his downfall.
I mean fer fucks sake,how did he expect to survive when he didnt even know the basics of meat preservation and which plants were edible?
While I understand his objective his preparation was a joke.

Dumb movie. The best license of idiot behavior was seeing him die as an Airliner was overhead at 35,000 feet.....what he sought to escape civilization. Really bad movie.

I mean fer fucks sake,how did he expect to survive when he didnt even know the basics of meat preservation and which plants were edible?

And you learn by progressively taking on more and more.

Experience.

Experience.

Or immersing yourself in the process of preparation.
He was a city boy that really had no idea of what he was doing. He was actually a very intelligent guy but he let his aspirations overcome his common sense.
And as you said,he didnt learn through experience. You could cut me loose in South Texas and I wouldnt have a problem surviving.
Turn me loose in Alaska and I'd probably die.
Just the fact that he didnt anticipate the river flooding in the spring making it impassable tells me he didnt know jack shit about what he was getting into.

Experience.

He was a city boy that really had no idea of what he was doing. He was actually a very intelligent guy but he let his aspirations overcome his common sense.
And as you said,he didnt learn through experience. You could cut me loose in South Texas and I wouldnt have a problem surviving.
Just the fact that he didnt anticipate the river flooding in the spring making it impassable tells me he didnt know jack shit about what he was getting into.

The only way I'll travel Alaska is from the deck of a cruise ship. :auiqs.jpg:

Experience.

Or you hang with somebody who can make sure you are prepared.

I saw it differently and I did like it. I saw a kid rebelling against his asshole Dad and throwing himself into a reckless adventure not really caring about anything but experiencing the world.

Excellent and compelling movie with great scenery, based on the book which was based on a true story- there is some dramatic license used, but well within the story line- this is a review of the book, which the movie holds pretty true to

Amazon.com

excerpt:
"Terrifying... Eloquent... A heart-rending drama of human yearning." --New York Times

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How Christopher Johnson McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and, unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw the maps away. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

Jon Krakauer constructs a clarifying prism through which he reassembles the disquieting facts of McCandless's short life. Admitting an interst that borders on obsession, he searches for the clues to the drives and desires that propelled McCandless. Digging deeply, he takes an inherently compelling mystery and unravels the larger riddles it holds: the profound pull of the American wilderness on our imagination; the allure of high-risk activities to young men of a certain cast of mind; the complex, charged bond between fathers and sons.
Very good
He was very knowledgeable on survival skills
If I recall , his food supply was infected by molds due to rain
He did not know that there was a bridge or communication hub near him because he refused any maps

Everyone here is older than he was- that means you have a ton of (hopefully you learned from it) life experience and basing your reaction(s) on that- he, on the other hand, was just a kid. It takes courage to follow your dream and stand by your decision(s) no matter what the result- a kid has less fear and sees himself, usually, as 10ft tall and bullet proof- life experiences (and observation) tells adults that ain't always the case-

He met some interesting people and he had, IMNSHO opinion, a great attitude and life belief- it bit him in the ass, so to speak, BUT, he died doing what he wanted to do. How many of y'all can say that? He saw some sights and had some experiences, none of you will ever have- and he was just a kid. Think about that. If you can even think beyond your narrow thought process enhanced by age-

As for those who didn't like the movie, so be it. Everyone is wired differently- no one is forcing you to like it.
But, it's not a waste of time if you learn from it. Nothing is a waste of time if learning is involved and if you feel you can't learn from others you're a waste of oxygen.

Experience.

Or you hang with somebody who can make sure you are prepared.

Yep...
Someone that knows the area would have been a big help.
They actually removed the old bus not to long ago.

I liked it for the story it presented, but the gist of it reminds me of a scene in Platoon where the main character in a group of fellow soldiers who were all drafted telling them he volunteered. - "I volunteered, I wanted to do my part, none of my friends had to go... I figured why should just the poor people have to go to war while the rich kids stayed back"? One of the other soldiers answered back... "shit.... you must be rich, only the rich can think like that".

Amazon.com

excerpt:

Thank you for recommending this movie. I stopped reading the comments because I didn't want it spoiled but not before I read "he made a mistake", so I pretty knew he would meet an unhappy ending.

I was surprised Chris made it as far as he did considered all that happened (and could have happened) to him along the way. It seemed to me that things started going downhill when you couldn't eat the moose he killed due to it becoming flyblown but I'm not sure how you accomplish that out in the wild with minimum equipment and skills.

Also the thing that particularly bothered me was discovering at the end of the move as they were panning out and you could see the surrounding countryside is that I had no idea he was surrounded by water. He had a fishing net, it wasn't possible for him to get fish out of the river to sustain him? Before he became too weak I mean?

I loved the move nonetheless and could understand completely why he left Los Angeles.

Amazon.com

excerpt:

Thank you for recommending this movie. I stopped reading the comments because I didn't want it spoiled but not before I read "he made a mistake", so I pretty knew he would meet an unhappy ending.

I was surprised Chris made it as far as he did considered all that happened (and could have happened) to him along the way. It seemed to me that things started going downhill when you couldn't eat the moose he killed due to it becoming flyblown but I'm not sure how you accomplish that out in the wild with minimum equipment and skills.

Also the thing that particularly bothered me was discovering at the end of the move as they were panning out and you could see the surrounding countryside is that I had no idea he was surrounded by water. He had a fishing net, it wasn't possible for him to get fish out of the river to sustain him? Before he became too weak I mean?

I loved the move nonetheless and could understand completely why he left Los Angeles.

Yeah....I get what he was trying to do.
I wanted to run off and live off the land myself but not for the reason he did.
I just loved the woods.

Forum List

Back