Intermittent Fasting…….Does It Work?

Yes, of course it works. But what cannot be stressed enough, it is not all about losing weight. Far from it.

The key benefit of I.F. is not weight loss, it is better overall health, longer lifespans, and one of the most effective ways to prevent disease. This is an excellent write up about I.F., and here is one key takeaway from the article:

David Sinclair, PhD who is a longevity researcher and expert at Harvard, and author of the book Lifespan states that there are 4 major things that impact longevity: 1) calorie restriction is the most robust, 2) then food quality, 3) then exercise, and finally 4) cold exposure.

Caloric restriction is the most effective of the 4 things that have the greatest impact on ones ability to live longer. What you eat is very important, and of course exercise, but many people don't know about how cold exposure, a low level stressor, can affect your health. It also burns the "unhealthy" fat, the white fat, while activating brown adipose tissue, the "healthy" fat.

I would recommend reading about Wim Hof and his cold exposure methods, and the benefits of this, for more information.
Not sure but my daughter is in a fast now, see what she says when its over.

I just read the #1 factors for longevity (longer life spans)

#4) Cold exposure
#3) Exercise
#2) Food quality
#1) Caloric restriction

Want to live longer? Practice fasting.

#4) Cold exposure
#3) Exercise
#2) Food quality
#1) Caloric restriction

How does cold exposure increase life span?

#4) Cold exposure
#3) Exercise
#2) Food quality
#1) Caloric restriction

That's interesting.

I wonder what not eating for about 12 hours a day for your entire adult life does. I know that doesn't qualify as "intermittent fasting" but I wonder if it adds up over decades and decades.

My whole life, I'm not an evening snacker. I eat dinner and that's it. Go to bed, wake up and drink coffee, then breakfast. I knew serious fasters go for 16 hours or so though.

Reminds me of the advice given to a guy needing to lose a considerable amount of weight.

"Eat two Bananas on Monday , skip Tuesday, two bananas on Wednesday , skip Thursday and so on for a month ."
He died just before the month was up .

The coroner found that the bananas did not kill him but that the endless skipping did .

Boom , boom .

That's interesting.

I wonder what not eating for about 12 hours a day for your entire adult life does. I know that doesn't qualify as "intermittent fasting" but I wonder if it adds up over decades and decades.

My whole life, I'm not an evening snacker. I eat dinner and that's it. Go to bed, wake up and drink coffee, then breakfast. I knew serious fasters go for 16 hours or so though.
16 hours isn't "serious fasting."

16 hours isn't "serious fasting."
It's fasting, for sure. 24 hour fasts are best, and even longer if you can safely do so, but 16 hour fasts, done regularly, will have real health benefits.

Your body recycles trillions of dead cells every 10-14 days, it is called autophagy, Latin for "self eating". Fasting allows your body to clear these dead cells much more efficiently, and when cells are not dispersed efficiently, then you have the chance for mutations which can turn cancerous.

Forum List

Back