Insurance Rates To Rise In Virginia, but...

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
...but the good news is, insurance rates are not increasing as fast as they have been.

Money Minute: Virginia Sees Big Rate Hikes for Obamacare - DailyFinance

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

A first look at how much health care premiums may go up in the second year of Obamacare.

Insurance companies in Virginia have filed rate proposals for 2015 that call for significant rate increases, but nothing near the dire predictions of Obamacare opponents. The Wall Street Journal reports the proposed increases easily top overall inflation, but that's been true of health care costs for years. One of the biggest plans, Wellpoint's (WLP) Anthem HealthKeepers, is asking for an average increase of 8.5 percent. Other plans call for rate hikes of 3.3 percent to nearly 15 percent.

...but the good news is, insurance rates are not increasing as fast as they have been.

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

A first look at how much health care premiums may go up in the second year of Obamacare.

Insurance companies in Virginia have filed rate proposals for 2015 that call for significant rate increases, but nothing near the dire predictions of Obamacare opponents. The Wall Street Journal reports the proposed increases easily top overall inflation, but that's been true of health care costs for years. One of the biggest plans, Wellpoint's (WLP) Anthem HealthKeepers, is asking for an average increase of 8.5 percent. Other plans call for rate hikes of 3.3 percent to nearly 15 percent.

Let me get this straight, Obama was completely wrong, but this is good news because you can lie about the rate of increase being smaller than it was last year because your article is really about how Americans are watching less music based TV.

God, I love stupid sources.

But but but we were supposed to save an average of $2500/year. You can't put lipstick on this hog and call it pretty.

But but but we were supposed to save an average of $2500/year. You can't put lipstick on this hog and call it pretty.

Oh yes you can:
th

Let me get this straight, Obama was completely wrong, but this is good news because you can lie about the rate of increase being smaller than it was last year because your article is really about how Americans are watching less music based TV.

:lol:

This is very interesting!

Hubby and I had a bet this morning on how this would be spun.

Virginia First To Release Post-Obamacare Premium Proposals: Rate Hikes For All

Virginians will see upped health insurance premiums in 2015 ranging from 3.3 percent to 14.7 percent, according to the filings from the first state to release any information about what Obamacare could bring next year.

The premium proposals were submitted to the state insurance office for official approval and were made public Monday. Each health plan expects to increase its prices in 2015 past nominal increases for inflation, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Anthem HealthKeepers, run by WellPoint, expects to up its premiums on and off Virginia’s Obamacare exchange by an average of 8.5 percent. While some customers could see a hike of just 0.5 percent, others will see increases up to 16.6 percent.

The Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States proposed increasing its premium rates by just 3.3 percent for its 10,000 Virginian members. Meanwhile, CareFirst BlueChoice, which offers coverage to 32,000 people, has proposed a 14.9 percent hike, citing a rise in the average age of its customers.

It’s likely that younger and healthier customers will be hit with larger premium increases due to the Affordable Care Act rule banning insurers from charging higher premiums to customers who use more health services, such as older and sicker enrollees.

Those states with the biggest influx of unhealthy customers could be in store for larger rates hikes than others.

Virginia’s federally-run Obamacare exchange signed up 216,000 for coverage according to the latest report from the Obama administration, but the Obama administration has yet to release any data on how many of those sign-ups have paid their first premiums.

Virginia First To Release Post-Obamacare Premium Proposals | The Daily Caller

Virginia is the first state to release its rate proposals for 2015; Washington state is expected to follow this week. Many states won’t make the data public until late summer.

HughGKnutts said:
If you didn't like your over-priced, higher deductible, higher premium, under performing first plan, you're really going to like it now that it costs more!
:lmao:

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

I think you might be barking up the right tree - the rate of increase has slowed considerably.

Thanks for brining it up.

Check it out, a guy that actually knows how to do arithmetic says; "If just half the recent slowdown in spending can be sustained, health care spending a decade from now will be $1,400 per person lower," Wow, if his arithmetic is correct, Obama underestimated the savings in healthcare by a-----by a ton - let's hopey his changey is on target. More stable healthcare costs and premiums is a good thing - right?

Officials: Slower health spending growth may boost jobs

Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY
November 20, 2013

WASHINGTON — Buoyed by a report showing that health care spending has risen by the lowest rate ever recorded, White House officials said Wednesday a continuation of the trend could lead to more jobs and lower-than-expected costs.

Reduced health care costs for employers could lead to 200,000 to 400,000 new jobs per year by the second half of the decade, said Jason Furman, the chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers.

"If just half the recent slowdown in spending can be sustained, health care spending a decade from now will be $1,400 per person lower," Furman said.

The Council of Economic Advisers report released Wednesday also said health care inflation is the lowest it has been in 50 years.

The Affordable Care Act is, in part, responsible for the lower costs, Furman and other health experts agree, while Republicans say the declining rate of increases comes purely because of the slowed economy.

An economy hobbled by the recession and the economic crisis in 2008 played a role in some of the reduced spending growth, Furman said, but the report cited "structural change" caused, in part, by the law.

<snip>

BTW - you didn't have to tell us you love stupid sources, we already knew

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

I think you might be barking up the right tree - the rate of increase has slowed considerably.

Thanks for brining it up.

Check it out, a guy that actually knows how to do arithmetic says; "If just half the recent slowdown in spending can be sustained, health care spending a decade from now will be $1,400 per person lower," Wow, if his arithmetic is correct, Obama underestimated the savings in healthcare by a-----by a ton - let's hopey his changey is on target. More stable healthcare costs and premiums is a good thing - right?

Hate to disturb your fantasy world, not, but the fact is that the increase dropped off before Obama even got into office, which means it has nothing to to with Obamacare. This is the first year in which Obamacare has been in effect, and your source is predicting rate increases that, for the first time in years, are actually increasing faster than the were before. They cover this up by saying that the increases are 'lower than expected', and you then claim that the increase are actually lower than they were.

That makes your statement a lie designed to cover up another lie which is designed to cover up the fact that rates are increasing much more than they would without Obamacare, which makes your entire premise false, and enables me to laugh at you for finding a guy that thinks spending more money than you did before means you are saving money.

But, please, keep telling me how brilliant you are for using all the pretty colors in your posts.

Officials: Slower health spending growth may boost jobs

Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY
November 20, 2013

WASHINGTON — Buoyed by a report showing that health care spending has risen by the lowest rate ever recorded, White House officials said Wednesday a continuation of the trend could lead to more jobs and lower-than-expected costs.

Reduced health care costs for employers could lead to 200,000 to 400,000 new jobs per year by the second half of the decade, said Jason Furman, the chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers.

"If just half the recent slowdown in spending can be sustained, health care spending a decade from now will be $1,400 per person lower," Furman said.

The Council of Economic Advisers report released Wednesday also said health care inflation is the lowest it has been in 50 years.

The Affordable Care Act is, in part, responsible for the lower costs, Furman and other health experts agree, while Republicans say the declining rate of increases comes purely because of the slowed economy.

An economy hobbled by the recession and the economic crisis in 2008 played a role in some of the reduced spending growth, Furman said, but the report cited "structural change" caused, in part, by the law.

I know you deliberately chose a story from last year rather than dig up the current figures, and I know why.

Health care spending rose at the fastest pace in 10 years last quarter, a development that could foreshadow higher costs for consumers this year.
Expenses for health care rose at a 5.6% annual rate in the fourth quarter, the Bureau of Economic Analysis said last week. The jump triggered a sharp upward revision in the government's estimate of consumer spending overall and accounted for nearly a quarter of the economy's 2.6% annualized growth in the last three months of 2013.
Driving the increase was an $8 billion rise in hospital revenue — more than the previous four quarters combined, according to the Census Bureau and Royal Bank of Scotland. RBS economist Omair Sharif says the increase in hospitals' income was puzzling because the number of inpatient days dipped 1% during the fourth quarter.
The increase is a marked change from slow-growing rates of health care prices and spending in recent years. Many unemployed Americans went without health insurance or limited their spending during the recession and sluggish recovery, says Dan Mendelson, CEO of consulting firm Avalere Health.

Health care spending growth hits 10-year high

Damn, I guess that makes Obama wrong, again.

Yet you are still stuck defending him.

<snip>

BTW - you didn't have to tell us you love stupid sources, we already knew

I love them almost as much as I love stupid posters.

Last edited:
They are going to rise everywhere.

I presume by "they" you mean premiums?

Premiums will rise because actuaries will demand it but-----but Obamacare's Medical Loss Ratio will keep insurance companies putting more of our premium dollars into our healthcare instead of (ehem) administrative costs and-----and an expanding pool will keep our out of pocket costs lower.

They are going to rise everywhere.

I presume by "they" you mean premiums?

Premiums will rise because actuaries will demand it but-----but Obamacare's Medical Loss Ratio will keep insurance companies putting more of our premium dollars into our healthcare instead of (ehem) administrative costs and-----and an expanding pool will keep our out of pocket costs lower.

Actuaries base Premium increases on the loss ratios, nothing else.

The loss ratios are already out of whack, the new business is adverse in the extreme.

The risk corridors do no mitigate enough of the problem.

Administrative costs are fixed.

I live in Virginia and am pretty comfortable in concluding that they gouged me this year so there is no reason to gouge me again. My premium went up about twice what it normally would without there being any change to my status and no age related jumps.

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

And don't forget that the coverage excludes many doctors from the network, making the valued of the force-fed insurance relatively meaningless.

not in any of the speeches did he say you're going to save 2500 dollars a year .... he did say however, you can save up to, or as much, as 2500 dollars a year ... big difference ...

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

And don't forget that the coverage excludes many doctors from the network, making the valued of the force-fed insurance relatively meaningless.
it only excludes doctor from a net work from the policy you picked ... if you pick a policy that tell you what doctor to go to, then yeah... but their are other policy that say you can go to any doctor you want ... it all depends on how cheap you want your policy to be ... it has nothing to do with the ACA ... it has everything to do with your choice of policy...

it only excludes doctor from a net work from the policy you picked ... if you pick a policy that tell you what doctor to go to, then yeah... but their are other policy that say you can go to any doctor you want ... it all depends on how cheap you want your policy to be ... it has nothing to do with the ACA ... it has everything to do with your choice of policy...

Yet, a lot of Doctors and hospitals aren't going to participate in the ACA exchange.
:eusa_whistle:
Don't know how you're going to reconcile that with your post.
You just throw your drivel out there and to see what sticks, huh, billie?

not in any of the speeches did he say you're going to save 2500 dollars a year .... he did say however, you can save up to, or as much, as 2500 dollars a year ... big difference ...

Never?

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/316384/democratic-presidential-candidates-debate-transcript/?search=$2,500

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/346763/remarks-of-senator-barack-obama-health-care-town-hall/?search=$2,500

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/388604/the-third-presidential-debate-transcript/?search=$2,500

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/314382/democratic-presidential-candidates-debate/?search=$2,500

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/383753/remarks-of-senator-barack-obama-health-care/?search=$2,500

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/329252/obama-statement-on-report-of-the-trustees-of-social-security-and-medicare/?search=$2,500

Now that I have proved you lied, and that Obama actually said what he said, will you shout the fuck up.

Politifcat has rated Obama's repeated claims that

The networks only include doctors in the same county you live in, even if you have a condition that requires an expert from out of state, or even 5 miles away across a county line. The funny thing is how hard it is to find that information out through the exchange, you actually have to go to the insurance website to see that information, and they offer different plans that don't meet the federal requirements for the exchange that include those doctors.

by DailyFinance Staff
May 12th 2014

That's the good news, according to some people.

In the midst of all the turmoil in health care these days, one thing is becoming clear: No matter what kind of health plan consumers choose, they will find fewer doctors and hospitals in their network — or pay much more for the privilege of going to any provider they want.
These so-called narrow networks, featuring limited groups of providers, have made a big entrance on the newly created state insurance exchanges, where they are a common feature in many of the plans. While the sizes of the networks vary considerably, many plans now exclude at least some large hospitals or doctors’ groups. Smaller networks are also becoming more common in health care coverage offered by employers and in private Medicare Advantage plans.
Insurers, ranging from national behemoths like WellPoint, UnitedHealth and Aetna to much smaller local carriers, are fully embracing the idea, saying narrower networks are essential to controlling costs and managing care. Major players contend they can avoid the uproar that crippled a similar push in the 1990s.
“We have to break people away from the choice habit that everyone has,” said Marcus Merz, the chief executive of PreferredOne, an insurer in Golden Valley, Minn., that is owned by two health systems and a physician group. “We’re all trying to break away from this fixation on open access and broad networks.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/business/more-insured-but-the-choices-are-narrowing.html?_r=2

Forum List

Back