Innocent Black Man Spent 50 Years in Prison, His Compensation Will Annoy The Hell out of You

A witness to the incident and a patron who was shot but survived both told the police they couldn’t make out who the robbers were.

What eyewitness testimony?

I'm just going by the article I linked to...

"There was no physical evidence introduced at preliminary hearing or trial. The only evidence was the eyewitness account of the 18-year-old customer, Belinda Brown.

In fact, the other surviving witness, Norma Hankins refused to point the finger at Simmons and Roberts in court. She told the jury all she saw was the gun.

But, Belinda Brown, who had been shot in the back of the head after seeing the suspects for a split-second, was 100 percent sure.

“(The jury) relied on eyewitness testimony. But now we’ve seen that’s not always the best (evidence.)” Murdock said.

The convincing testimony of that 18-year-old witness put both men on death row."

I have issues with law enforcement too. Why is it on most every episode of Gunsmoke, Matt Dillon manages to show up after someone gets killed?

That's some mighty fine police work there, Marshal Dillon. You're supposed to prevent crime instead of just showing up late and ordering Chester to "take care of the body."
Law enforcement is mostly reactionary. The crime has already been committed then they are called. Everytime measures are put in place to prevent crime people cry "you can't do that", it's either an invasion of privacy or constitutional rights.

If the black man would stay out of trouble to start with, then maybe people would be less inclined to assume they are criminals. 🤔
Quite the Racist aren't you .
Recall you are into Ethnic Cleansing as well because it is only against vermin .
Very enlightened .

It's not just blacks who are wrongfully convicted. I'll bet there are far more whites wrongfully incarcerated but you don't hear just as police kills far more whites than blacks.

I am sure Super here declares Tookie Williams innocent just because he proclaimed his innocence prior to being executed.

If you wanna blame someone, blame the DA and witnesses. I am in favor of locking this kind of DA trying to score political points for life without parole. You in?

A man found guilty in a 1975 murder has spent what the National Registry of Exonerations calls the longest prison sentence on a wrongful conviction. Glynn Simmons, now 71 years old, was named a suspect in an armed robbery that left the clerk of a liquor store in Edmond, Okla. dead, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

A witness to the incident and a patron who was shot but survived both told the police they couldn’t make out who the robbers were. However, somehow Simmons ended up getting swept into a lineup and was charged with both robbery and capital murder.

Simmons spent 48 years, one month and 18 days in prison—two of those years on death row, the registry noted.

Simmons’ co-defendant was released on parole back in 2008. And it wasn’t until this past July that Oklahoma County district attorney Vicki Behenna found prosecutors failed to turn over evidence in the case and the eyewitness identified multiple suspects in the crime. Behenna then declined to retry Simmons but left it to Oklahoma County District Judge Amy Palumbo to declare him innocent.

The ruling makes Simmons eligible for up to $175,000 in compensation from the state for wrongful conviction and opens the door for a federal lawsuit against Oklahoma City and law enforcement involved in Simmons’ arrest and conviction, defense attorney Joe Norwood said Wednesday.

We see this happen over and over to black men. Any Nword will do, the first one we find is guilty.

175.000 for spending 48yrs in prison for a crime you didn't commit, this is disgrace.

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you Mod Edit: Clean Start are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.

While I do not agree with statutory caps on wrongful convictions, he did get the max he could be awarded.

This guy didn't receive a dime from the state. Guess who got him out of prison through pro bono? Them pesky whities...

Only $175,000? I would have held out for a 100 pound block of crack cocaine, 100 hookers, 100 bottles of Chivas Regal, and the chance to party with Hunter if I were black.

But then, I'm not black, so I guess I'm disqualified.
Don’t forget some Air Jordans.

Only $175,000? I would have held out for a 100 pound block of crack cocaine, 100 hookers, 100 bottles of Chivas Regal, and the chance to party with Hunter if I were black.

But then, I'm not black, so I guess I'm disqualified.
You're late for your Klan meeting.

Change the racist ass Justice System to where Lady Justice is really blind.
That's been done. Thank Joe Biden for the inequities of the past and President Trump for getting rid of them and respecting blacks.

Maybe if blacks didn't worship thugs and bully kids trying to do well in school, you wouldn't have so many eager to go to prison to prove their "creds."

If you don't do the crime, you won't do time,

What are you doing to reverse these numbers?

2019%20Murderer%20%20Demobraphics.jpg

This is why it’s nearly impossible to have a conversation with blacks.

There are many decent blacks who respect the law, act civil in public, and contributing to society. There are also many who act thuggishly in public and uncivilized such as every third word is the n word, extremely rowdy, or playing loud music on public transit without a shred of consideration for others. This is why many people avoid them. This isn’t racism but prefer not to take the chance of engaging the wrong way and get the racist label. Blacks argue that we shouldn’t lump every one of them together.

Unfortunately, that isn’t how the real world works. Thousands of pounds of food are tossed away if just one pound is contaminated with E. coli because manufacturers don’t want to take a chance. Why are blacks surprised by this? I don’t understand when they too lump several racist police and concluded that all police are racists. Blacks are free to say I hate white people in public but when a white person says I hate black people, firestorm coming.

Want the stereotype to end, act accordingly in public and respect others.

A man found guilty in a 1975 murder has spent what the National Registry of Exonerations calls the longest prison sentence on a wrongful conviction. Glynn Simmons, now 71 years old, was named a suspect in an armed robbery that left the clerk of a liquor store in Edmond, Okla. dead, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

A witness to the incident and a patron who was shot but survived both told the police they couldn’t make out who the robbers were. However, somehow Simmons ended up getting swept into a lineup and was charged with both robbery and capital murder.

Simmons spent 48 years, one month and 18 days in prison—two of those years on death row, the registry noted.

Simmons’ co-defendant was released on parole back in 2008. And it wasn’t until this past July that Oklahoma County district attorney Vicki Behenna found prosecutors failed to turn over evidence in the case and the eyewitness identified multiple suspects in the crime. Behenna then declined to retry Simmons but left it to Oklahoma County District Judge Amy Palumbo to declare him innocent.

The ruling makes Simmons eligible for up to $175,000 in compensation from the state for wrongful conviction and opens the door for a federal lawsuit against Oklahoma City and law enforcement involved in Simmons’ arrest and conviction, defense attorney Joe Norwood said Wednesday.

We see this happen over and over to black men. Any Nword will do, the first one we find is guilty.

175.000 for spending 48yrs in prison for a crime you didn't commit, this is disgrace.

A fine example of the US Justice System and to think some of you Mod Edit: Clean Start are on here crying about Trump being mistreated.
I wonder why you got the benefit of a mod edit. I can only guess what shit you spewed there.

Anyway, let me shock you. The “compensation” is far too low especially if there was any prosecutorial misconduct or any police misconduct etc in securing the conviction. Failure to turn over exculpatory evidence is prosecutorial misconduct. So if that claim is verified, the compensation award is way too low.

The big bucks will come from the probable federal lawsuit. I’d expect a great settlement offer.

This is why it’s nearly impossible to have a conversation with blacks.

There are many decent blacks who respect the law, act civil in public, and contributing to society. There are also many who act thuggishly in public and uncivilized such as every third word is the n word, extremely rowdy, or playing loud music on public transit without a shred of consideration for others. This is why many people avoid them. This isn’t racism but prefer not to take the chance of engaging the wrong way and get the racist label. Blacks argue that we shouldn’t lump every one of them together.

Unfortunately, that isn’t how the real world works. Thousands of pounds of food are tossed away if just one pound is contaminated with E. coli because manufacturers don’t want to take a chance. Why are blacks surprised by this? I don’t understand when they too lump several racist police and concluded that all police are racists. Blacks are free to say I hate white people in public but when a white person says I hate black people, firestorm coming.

Want the stereotype to end, act accordingly in public and respect others.
You right it is nearly impossible, because most of you dumbass racist try and put a black face on crime. Whites commit more crimes than black folks, but you love to try and hide that fact. What about white collar crimes, you know the ones you don't want to talk about. You got somebody black who might steal 200 dollars and they get 50yrs for it, but you got whites who steal 50million dollars and get a slap on the wrist. I have heard white teenagers playing loud music, never heard you complain about that. If someone black commits a crime folks like you want to blame every black person in America for it, now if someone white commits a crime oh that is just that individual it has nothing to do with every other white person in America. Here is an innocent man who spent 50yrs for a crime he didn't commit and Jackasses like you try and make excuses about it instead of pointing the finger at the racist cops who pinned a crime on him and put him there.

Forum List

Back