Inflation up in December

There is likely more inflation coming down the pike in Jan and Feb, especially as oil and commodities and logistics are likely to cost more (unless the Red Sea attacks end quickly), and of course the Ukraine War and substantial decoupling/reshoring from China (which actually internally is facing deflation) continues.

I agree the U.S. is in far better shape than Europe and third world states, or Russia, and even Asian allies like Japan and Korea and Australia will likely suffer worse economies than we in the next immediate period.

The idiots think it is all about President Biden, as if he invaded Ukraine or launched a huge terror attack from Gaza or is now responsible for Houthi/Iranian attacks in the Red Sea.

The traitors and friends of overseas authoritarians, MAGA types who want to abandon Ukraine and support Putin (and his allies Iran and North Korea) blame the Biden Administration for everything. I hold Biden responsible for mishandling the Southern border issues, but otherwise his administration and especially the Fed (so far) have helped the U.S. economy recover strongly.

Short term the U.S. economy is actually benefitting in some ways from Putin’s bloody invasion of Ukraine (our export hydrocarbon and war industries in particular), but the reality of increasing international decoupling, logistics and war ultimately works against economic progress and cause inflation. Factory building on the U.S. remains at very high levels, a good sign for the future.

One shouldn’t look only at the U.S. domestic economy or presently lower (at last!) commodity inflation rates or the very high stock market or the still good labor market in the U.S. to conclude the future is rosy and Biden deserves all the credit. Many things are outside the effective control of any President.
Politics soils everything it touches. So, they're convinced (supposedly) that it was all on Biden. Meh.

There are FAR too many currents (both globally and domestically) to pin a current economy on the President. But the partisans will always do it, if it makes them look "good".

30 year old cars don't cost much to ensure when you put the legal minimum on it. Doesn't mean its not going up. Homeowners insurance under Trump: 900 dollars a year. Same insurance under Biden: 2300 dollars a year. Car insurance under Trump: 27 dollars a month Under Biden: 49 dollars a month.

Yes, no matter how you want to do a CNN spin, inflation is killing America.
Strange my home owners insurance AND auto insurance is down a bit. Motorcycle insurance is up just slightly.
MAGA

My auto and especially condo insurance fees in Florida have been going up dramatically in recent years. Condo maintenance fees and rents here have skyrocketed, since some crazy legislation requiring new engineering surveys and storm-proofing has effected all three-story and above condominiums. I’m on our top, third floor, so at least I don’t worry about floods.

Guess I could blame the fleeing insurance companies or our Governor or our now all Republican dominated legislature, or our MAGA gun culture — we’ve had plenty of mass shootings at schools and plenty of crazy “Florida Man” & “Florida Woman” fruitcakes with guns going “off.”

Then there is the invasion of iguanas killing off our flower-beds and making life hard for our native “Real American” Alligators. Must all be the President’s fault.

:cool:

Deflation: Here’s where prices fell in December 2023, in one chart

As inflation continues to throttle back across the broad U.S. economy, some consumer categories have sunk into outright deflation.

In other words: Americans are seeing prices decline for certain items.

Those pullbacks have largely been among physical goods rather than services, economists said.

Be sure to check out the chart.

Inflation ticked up a little in December on the back of higher costs for housing and car insurance.

The overall cost of living in December was up 3.4% from a year ago, a slightly larger increase than the 3.1% rate in November, according to data from the Labor Department on Thursday.

The cost of motor vehicle insurance rose 1.5% in December from the previous month, marking a 20.3% increase compared to the previous year.

The cost of housing accounted for more than half the monthly increase in consumer prices. Food and energy prices were also up in December. The so-called "core" inflation rate, which excludes food and energy prices, was 3.9% last month.

Not to worry, I'm sure many libs got a 20 percent wage increase to offset their car insurance, and another 4% increase last month.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/11/1224044520/cpi-inflation-december-labor-department-interest-rate-fed
/----/ Dementia Joe says, HOLD MY BEER. I can beat that.
Consumer price index data for January showed that core inflation ran hotter than expected last month. After the CPI inflation data, S&P 500 futures fell sharply in early Tuesday stock market action.
CPI Inflation Report Hits And Misses

The overall consumer price index rose 0.3% on the month, above expectations of a 0.2% rise. The 12-month CPI inflation rate eased to 3.1% from 3.4% in December, exceeding 3% forecasts.

Politics soils everything it touches. So, they're convinced (supposedly) that it was all on Biden. Meh.

There are FAR too many currents (both globally and domestically) to pin a current economy on the President. But the partisans will always do it, if it makes them look "good".
Unless it is 2020 then it is not Trump's fault for the economy.

Forum List

Back