Indiana installs first 'baby ' boxes for abandoned newborns

dani67

Gold Member
Dec 21, 2015
iran
Indiana's 'baby boxes' save abandoned newborns
1462992207091.jpg

Indiana's 'baby boxes' save abandoned newborns | Fox News
On an April night in 1973, a teenage mother, scared and alone, handed her newborn girl to a nurse at an Ohio hospital and walked out the door.

Forty-three years later, the woman abandoned as a child is on a national crusade to spare moms and babies the shame, pain and danger that can follow a newborn being left on church steps, in trash bins or out in the elements to die.

Monica Kelsey, of Woodburn, Ind., founded the Safe Haven Baby Boxes organization to install depositories around her state ensuring the safety and care of newborns who otherwise stand no chance.

As soon as the box, typically built into the exterior wall of a firehouse or hospital, is opened and a baby placed inside, a 911 alert is sent. Inside the box, the baby is protected in a climate-controlled, padded and locked container until help arrives. Motions detectors trigger a second call to 911, and paramedics arrive within minutes to take the baby to a hospital. Mothers are given an option to press a button that would ensure a third emergency call.

Two of the boxes are already operating in Indiana -- and the 43-year-old firefighter, medic and mother of three is working to expand their use in seven states, including California, New York, Illinois and Texas.
1462993996146.jpg

1462995528405.jpg

What has happened to humanity?

They could have been aborted, this is more humane than that option

Kind of like dropping off a deposit. We'll see how long it takes some other crusader to come up with the idea of mounting surveilance cameras and charging the mother for being a "drain" on society.

Indiana also spends federal dollars meant for needy families on a controversial anti-abortion, pregnancy advice contractor based in Pennsylvania called Real Alternatives.

But Breaux said the state “has its fair share of poverty”, which leaves teens more vulnerable to the risk of unwanted pregnancy. And Indiana has a shortage of doctors and health centers, she said.
Baby Boxes: pro-life campaigners bring the 'abortion alternative' to America

Kind of like dropping off a deposit. We'll see how long it takes some other crusader to come up with the idea of mounting surveilance cameras and charging the mother for being a "drain" on society.

Indiana also spends federal dollars meant for needy families on a controversial anti-abortion, pregnancy advice contractor based in Pennsylvania called Real Alternatives.

But Breaux said the state “has its fair share of poverty”, which leaves teens more vulnerable to the risk of unwanted pregnancy. And Indiana has a shortage of doctors and health centers, she said.
Better than giving birth into a McDonalds toilet.
Our society is okay, Dani. It's not as if it is common; it is rare for a mom to do this. I think the boxes are a bit of overkill; I'm a claustrophobic, myself, and the boxes seem fraught with danger to me. Already, any mother is welcome to bring her newborn baby to a hospital, fire station or police station and hand it over, no questions asked. It's called the Safe Haven law. I suppose to a woman who is too ashamed to take the baby to a fire station or hospital, it is a better solution than throwing it in the trash.
It has apparently saved some babies' lives over the years.

Our society is okay, Dani. It's not as if it is common; it is rare for a mom to do this. I think the boxes are a bit of overkill; I'm a claustrophobic, myself, and the boxes seem fraught with danger to me. Already, any mother is welcome to bring her newborn baby to a hospital, fire station or police station and hand it over, no questions asked. It's called the Safe Haven law. I suppose to a woman who is too ashamed to take the baby to a fire station or hospital, it is a better solution than throwing it in the trash.
It has apparently saved some babies' lives over the years.

Sorry, wasn't aware that was the only alternative.

So one state in the U.S. is catching up with what several other countries have been doing for decades.

Forum List

Back