Importing water to save the Salton Sea is long overdue. What are we waiting for?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
...Officials at the Salton Sea are following the Owens Lake path. Their ongoing practice of digging furrows and shallow ponds to control dust as more and more lakebed is exposed is questionable. Not only are these methods ineffective, they cause more greenhouse gas emissions! The Salton Sea is three times bigger than Owens Lake, so following that path could cost an estimated $7.5 billion.

...Unlike Owens Lake, the Salton Sea has two oceans close by; there are 13 proposals to build an aqueduct to import water — either from the Sea of Cortez or the Pacific Ocean. Leaders of the Salton Sea Management Authority have considered these proposals too costly. However, a feasibility study is now being conducted by UC Santa Cruz to evaluate the effectiveness of these plans to import water. Their report will be turned over in September to the Salton Sea Management Program’s Long Range Planning Committee.

I know nothing of the issues with either plan. I don't live there. This plan seems more reasonable.

...Officials at the Salton Sea are following the Owens Lake path. Their ongoing practice of digging furrows and shallow ponds to control dust as more and more lakebed is exposed is questionable. Not only are these methods ineffective, they cause more greenhouse gas emissions! The Salton Sea is three times bigger than Owens Lake, so following that path could cost an estimated $7.5 billion.

...Unlike Owens Lake, the Salton Sea has two oceans close by; there are 13 proposals to build an aqueduct to import water — either from the Sea of Cortez or the Pacific Ocean. Leaders of the Salton Sea Management Authority have considered these proposals too costly. However, a feasibility study is now being conducted by UC Santa Cruz to evaluate the effectiveness of these plans to import water. Their report will be turned over in September to the Salton Sea Management Program’s Long Range Planning Committee.

I know nothing of the issues with either plan. I don't live there. This plan seems more reasonable.
There are also plans to strip mine the Salton Sea for its lithium.

Dry up? Enjoy your toxic dust clouds.

Do you really think filling that poison pit with more salt water from the ocean will help? It's already so saline dead birds stink up the place. If the dust needs to be dealt with, deal with that but keeping this going can only make things worse. Nothing can live in this lake. It isn't a natural lake. Let it go.

Do you really think filling that poison pit with more salt water from the ocean will help? It's already so saline dead birds stink up the place. If the dust needs to be dealt with, deal with that but keeping this going can only make things worse. Nothing can live in this lake. It isn't a natural lake. Let it go.
Yea, they will have to implement some kind of mitigation efforts for the toxic lake bed, but it's pointless to do anything other than letting it dry up, as everything else is doing. This is not a priority with regard to drinking water.

I've been there. It was a dry lake bed before it was inundated by the waters irrigating the Imperial Valley. I can't imagine what they are trying to save.

Forum List

Back