Immigrant from China exercises 2nd Amendment Right for first time...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
As the article points out......the people of China have no 2nd Amendment right....

At L.A.-area gun store, Chinese immigrants exercise an unfamiliar right to bear arms

Tony Gao emerges from a gun store in the City of Industry with something he could have never gotten in his native China: a handgun license.

He passed the firearm safety test on his third try — he says the store’s Chinese translation of the test is a little off — but still, he’s a little nervous.

“Are you sure police won’t try to get me?” Gao, 58, asks.

Private gun ownership is generally banned in China. So when Chinese immigrants arrive in the U.S., many are curious about owning firearms.

In Los Angeles, Chinese immigrants frequent Gun Effects, a firearms store housed in a City of Industry strip mall that includes a boba tea spot, a massage parlor and a dinosaur-themed Taiwanese restaurant.

On a recent weekday, a line formed at a bilingual English and Chinese sign-in sheet as Tom Petty crooned over the store speakers. A few customers puzzled over a Chinese translation of the handgun test beneath an empty wall where the store once displayed assault weapons — all of which were snapped up before California’s tough new gun control measures take effect Jan. 1. The legislation was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in July in the wake of simmering outrage over mass shootings in San Bernardino and Orlando, Fla.

----

Kai Kang, 48, of Irvine, lined up to purchase a scope for one of his guns. He remembers being curious about owning a gun when he came to America about a decade ago. In China he was in the military, but he never thought about owning a gun for his personal use.

Once he had his green card, he decided to try it out. Gun collecting eventually became a hobby. He goes to shooting ranges with his friends and keeps guns in his house for protection.

“I have short guns, long guns, handguns, AR-15s, rifles. I bought one, then I just kept buying more,” Kang said.

Gun Effects’ popularity with Chinese customers could have something to do with its Chinese ownership and bilingual services. The store’s owner, Dennis Lin, was born in Guangdong, China, to a dim sum chef and his wife. He came to the U.S. when he was 3 years old.

------

Business was slow at first. He placed online advertisements, but they failed to increase demand. Still, about a year ago, Chinese customers began to show up in large numbers.

“I don’t even know how this happened, really,” Lin said. “In the past, most of our business has been with non-Chinese customers.”

Now about 40 percent of customers are Chinese, Lin said. He hired two Chinese-speaking employees and ramped up his study of Mandarin. He also travels to China several times a year to learn more about Chinese culture, which he never had much connection to as a kid.

In China, he’s careful never to say that he sells guns for a living.

“They do get nervous,” Lin said. “It’s like a taboo.”

Chinese customers often have questions about legality and safety, said Queenie Yang, one of the store’s Chinese-speaking employees. And many of them need time to get comfortable with even holding a gun.

As the article points out......the people of China have no 2nd Amendment right....

At L.A.-area gun store, Chinese immigrants exercise an unfamiliar right to bear arms

Tony Gao emerges from a gun store in the City of Industry with something he could have never gotten in his native China: a handgun license.

He passed the firearm safety test on his third try — he says the store’s Chinese translation of the test is a little off — but still, he’s a little nervous.

Private gun ownership is generally banned in China. So when Chinese immigrants arrive in the U.S., many are curious about owning firearms.

In Los Angeles, Chinese immigrants frequent Gun Effects, a firearms store housed in a City of Industry strip mall that includes a boba tea spot, a massage parlor and a dinosaur-themed Taiwanese restaurant.

On a recent weekday, a line formed at a bilingual English and Chinese sign-in sheet as Tom Petty crooned over the store speakers. A few customers puzzled over a Chinese translation of the handgun test beneath an empty wall where the store once displayed assault weapons — all of which were snapped up before California’s tough new gun control measures take effect Jan. 1. The legislation was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in July in the wake of simmering outrage over mass shootings in San Bernardino and Orlando, Fla.

----

Kai Kang, 48, of Irvine, lined up to purchase a scope for one of his guns. He remembers being curious about owning a gun when he came to America about a decade ago. In China he was in the military, but he never thought about owning a gun for his personal use.

Once he had his green card, he decided to try it out. Gun collecting eventually became a hobby. He goes to shooting ranges with his friends and keeps guns in his house for protection.

“I have short guns, long guns, handguns, AR-15s, rifles. I bought one, then I just kept buying more,” Kang said.

Gun Effects’ popularity with Chinese customers could have something to do with its Chinese ownership and bilingual services. The store’s owner, Dennis Lin, was born in Guangdong, China, to a dim sum chef and his wife. He came to the U.S. when he was 3 years old.

------

Business was slow at first. He placed online advertisements, but they failed to increase demand. Still, about a year ago, Chinese customers began to show up in large numbers.

“I don’t even know how this happened, really,” Lin said. “In the past, most of our business has been with non-Chinese customers.”

Now about 40 percent of customers are Chinese, Lin said. He hired two Chinese-speaking employees and ramped up his study of Mandarin. He also travels to China several times a year to learn more about Chinese culture, which he never had much connection to as a kid.

Chinese customers often have questions about legality and safety, said Queenie Yang, one of the store’s Chinese-speaking employees. And many of them need time to get comfortable with even holding a gun.

Same thing with the Korean business owners in L.A. during the Rodney King riots. They were armed to protect their businesses. Something they couldn't do in Korea.

----

------

Same thing with the Korean business owners in L.A. during the Rodney King riots. They were armed to protect their businesses. Something they couldn't do in Korea.
They didn`t need to in South Korea. They have real gun control.List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

----

------

They didn`t need to in South Korea. They have real gun control.List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

Moron...one of the worst mass shooters in history was a South Korean police officer who went off the rails.......moron.....he killed 56 people with a gun....you are really stupid...

Woo Bum-kon - Wikipedia

Woo Bum-kon (or Wou Bom-kon) (February 24, 1955 – April 27, 1982) was a South Korean policeman and spree killerwho killed 56 people and wounded 35 others in several villages in Uiryeong County, South Gyeongsang Province, South Korea, during the night from April 26 to April 27, 1982, before committing suicide.[1]

His rampage remained the deadliest known mass murder committed by a lone gunman in modern history until the Norway attacks of July 22, 2011,[2] and was the deadliest mass killing in modern South Korean history until the
Daegu subway fire.

And they already have very little crime because of their culture.......it isn't access to guns..it is the culture......

Moron......the people of North Korea are completely unarmed.....care to tell us how well that is working out?

----

------

And of course there was this shooting in South Korea....

S. Korea: 2 dead, 3 wounded in shooting spree - CNN.com

----

------

Now why would South Korea need to tighten gun laws....you know...after these shootings....

Police Pledge Tougher Gun Regulations After South Korea Shootings

----

------

You just talk out of your ass on this stuff...right?

Concerns grow over Korean gun violence

Calls for more stringent regulations on guns are mounting in the wake of four shooting incidents within a month in a nation that many believed to be free from the dangers of firearms.

On Tuesday, a 42-year-old man shot a 38-year-old man who had an affair with his wife with an air gun in Cheonan, South Chungcheong Province. He had held the weapon for years to fend off wild animals.

-----------
The three other cases involved unauthorized guns. On the previous day, a man in his 30s armed with two guns that had been converted from imitation weapons went on a shooting spree and wielded a knife in a residential area in Daegu.

A female university student was shot in the face and two policemen were injured in the ensuing struggle.

Police said the guns held by the suspect were not lethal but still dangerous enough to cause serious wounds.

Last Friday, a man in his 50s in Seoul attempted suicide with an unregistered J-22 pistol manufactured by Jennings in 1989 or 1990.

The deadly ware is not used by the police, nor are civilians allowed to possess it.

On March 24 also in Cheonan, a rapist who abducted a woman shot at police with a stolen shotgun. The ex-convict was allegedly planning to kill a person close to the female victim with the gun.

-----------------
As of last year, around 187,000 firearms including handguns, rifles and shotguns were legally held by civilians.

In 2011, 416 crimes involving guns occurred in Korea. According to the Korea Customs Service, 141 illegal firearms were seized in 2012, 160 in 2011, 177 in 2010, 392 in 2009 and 80 in 2008.

Though the number of illegally smuggled guns is thought to have decreased in recent years, experts say that there are still people in possession of illegal weapons.

In addition, more cases in which gangs are armed with guns are being reported to the police, according to experts.

So....when you disarm law abiding people....criminals still get guns...even convicted rapists who get illegal shotguns....

Last edited:

----

------

Well, this doesn't change the fact that Koreans were armed to protect themselves during the riots, does it? I doubt if Korea has such a large population of Black people to deal with either, and Blacks are more prone to crime than other races, you know.

Forum List

Back