IMDb making "adjustments" to Little Mermaid reviews after mostly negative ratings

What if it is some sort of business model to make a buck

There is a difference between "making a buck" and "milking a dead cow".

The fact is, the track record in the last several years of their remakes has been ever decreasing returns. And in looking at their next slew of releases they have yet to learn that lesson.

The movie The Little Mermaid starring a black actress playing in white character have received mostly 1 out of 10 Stars ratings in the website IMDb.

But the company is arguing that conservatives are giving bad reviews to this movie in bad faith because the actress is black so somehow the average is 7.1.

It's a disgrace conservatives hate black people so much

Likely not.

It is more than "making a profit", what really matters is ROI or "Return on Investment".

To compare, the last major non-Disney animated theatrical movie was "Into the Spider-Verse". Which made just under $400 million on a $90 million dollar budget (around $105 million with marketing). And in a few more days, Across the Spider-Verse hits theaters. And Across is already predicting an opening weekend of around $85 million and possibly $800 million in it's theatrical run.

And the cost for that movie including marketing? $115 million. That is around 1/5 the cost of Mermaid.

That is going to be a huge ROI, especially when compared to The Little Mermaid. And I bet when the next weekend results are in, Mermaid sinks to second if not third place and Miles Morales will be the new box office king. And the next week Mermaid will unquestionably be in third place if not lower, as then it will be against both Spider-Verse and the newest Transformers movie. Then after that, The Flash. I doubt it will be above 8th place by the time of the end of its run.

Which will be about the time the last Indiana Jones film hits the screen. And early predictions are that will bet yet another bomb.

If I was an investor, I would be pulling money from Disney and putting it in Sony. They have had a series of successful movies, and Disney has been in the doldrums for most of the last decade. It is not enough to just "make a profit", and Mermaid still has a hell of a long ways to go before it can do that. It has to be a return on the money invested. And when compared to movies with less than half the budget and a fraction of the marketing will likely blow away Mermaid, that is not looking good.

Disney is making the same mistakes much of Hollywood did in the past. Budgeting every movie they make as a high dollar blockbuster. And that strategy (on top of endless remakes) is simply not working.
You're talking predictions about what will happen. You're already predicting the doom of The Little Mermaid based on nothing. Also, I'm willing to bet that Disney has different ROI expectations for different franchises, of which we dont know. I mean, you arent actually suggesting that every movie Disney makes has the ROI expectation of the Spider Man franchise, are you?

It's a disgrace conservatives hate black people so much

Which is absolute nonsense.

Wanna bet nobody will be talking at all about "Conservative Racism" when "Across the Spider-Verse" blows Little Mermaid out of the water?

Tell me, where was the "Conservative Backlash" when Into the Spider-Verse came out? If people think "Conservatives hate Mermaid" because of race, then they must absolutely loathe Miles Morales, a bi-racial Puerto Rican and Black Spider-Man, with a possible love interest in white and blonde haired Gwen Stacy.

Which should not be a surprise at all if it happens, as that was a storyline over 3 years ago from the comics.

spider-man-12-2016.jpg

Wanna bet that if it happens in this movie, the response from "Conservatives" is crickets?

You're already predicting the doom of The Little Mermaid based on nothing.

Based on the track record of the last multiple "Live Action Reboots".

What, have you forgotten Mulan already? That each time they have been remaking one of their older movie it has been getting worse and worse reviews and audience? Why do you think that the last 2 that were made for theaters instead went right to D+?

I am basing it entirely on the history of these remakes in the last several years, and nothing else. Just as the over-saturation of Marvel and Star Wars movies over and over has resulted in the same thing.

To be honest, I think it is going to be hard for most movies made to be "blockbusters" to make money in the future. With the huge investment in production and marketing and only around 4 weeks to turn a profit, they are going to have a harder and harder time to make a profit as time goes on.

Based on "nothing" indeed. It is based on the track record of the 2o live-action remakes they have already done, and seeing that as they cranked out more and more of them closer together they have on average made less than the one before. With many being relegated to "straight to streaming" as the "straight to video" market is dead and they knew they would tank in the box office.

You are aware this is their second live-action remake of the year, are you not? The 11th in the past 5 years. They have well over-saturated the market for remakes, and the box office is showing it. It has been years since any have done more than just break even.

The movie The Little Mermaid starring a black actress playing in white character have received mostly 1 out of 10 Stars ratings in the website IMDb.

But the company is arguing that conservatives are giving bad reviews to this movie in bad faith because the actress is black so somehow the average is 7.1.

Which appears to be the case

I see that in many films today
My wife asks me……why is it so dark? I can’t see
Several reasons.
First darkness creates a forbidding or mysterious atmosphere. It also saves money and the time to create good sets and costumes. Since no one will get a good look at them, just about anything will do.

It is not a white character. It is a mermaid. Halle Berry is a gem and the movie is great. The company is right. You racists are putting up false reviews. How dare you use Ronald Reagan's image to justify your racism. He would have supported her.

Not really. After many months at sea without seeing a woman this is what sailors saw in bad weather and high sees and called it a mermaid.

Wrong.

You are aware that is a fresh water animal native to the Americas, right?

And the legends of mermaids date back to the Middle Ages, right? There are no manatees in the Mediterranean, or around the British Isles where is another place they were claimed to have been found in.

a5b828f683c13e9043dd9ea355d318d5.jpg

A mermaid from a 13th century manuscript.

Which appears to be the case

See look black to me
tourists-take-pictures-of-the-little-mermaid.jpg

This is the Little mermaid statue, Copenhagen, Denmark. Since this statue is inspired by Hans Christian Anderson's story the The Little Mermaid it's how people pictured her till Disney came along and made her white.

If you look below, they say in the fine print that the actual unweighted mean score averages out to 4.7, which looks about right to me. Not exactly a glowing score. And just yesterday, Golfing Gator was bragging what a HIT the movie was!!! :auiqs.jpg:

Apparently many went (it was a holiday weekend), but few were impressed. Another WIN for Disney. :smoke:

Not at my showing. They were cheering at the end of the movie and I got so involved that I was fighting tears when they were separated.

I'm not surprised. Probably at the behest of Disney. They have to push a woke agenda.

How many people really pay any attention to critics reviews or ratings anymore?

I never did really.

I mean there are 8 billion people in the world. Why would I care about the opinion of what 1 person thinks? Or even 100 people?

The only people's opinions I pay attention to are actual film makers that make movies I love. If David lynch, ari aster or Quentin Tarantino talk about their favorite movies then I'm all ears. But just some random internet guy? Yeah, no thanks.

I love Hudson hawk, it makes me laugh but it got bad reviews when it came out. But tons of people think the transformers movies are great and they are horribly boring.

Last edited:
It is a good benchmark.

And one of the most consistent complaints that has been said over and over is how freaking dark it is. And they do not mean the story, but how almost every scene looks like it was filmed at midnight and it is hard to see almost anything.

Even most video games at night have more and better lighting than this. And they spent over $200 million on that?

Compare to the original 1989 version.

Most of the issues have been related to the lighting and the horrible CGI.

I saw the movie and it was not that dark. Clearly a doctored video. The CGI was fine.

Forum List

Back