Im new here, just checking this out.

anthony

Rookie
Aug 5, 2020
California
Hello,
I'm new. Not sure if this is the right forum for me, but interested in civil discussions on politics, to pass the time.
Trying to get a feel if this is that kind of place, or if it's just shouting across the great divide.
I live in California. Philosophically I'm on the extreme left on most issues, but am what I consider 'pragmatic' in my voting.
I am a professor at a decently large University.
Cheers. :)

Hello,
I'm new. Not sure if this is the right forum for me, but interested in civil discussions on politics, to pass the time.
Trying to get a feel if this is that kind of place, or if it's just shouting across the great divide.
I live in California. Philosophically I'm on the extreme left on most issues, but am what I consider 'pragmatic' in my voting.
Welcome.
Get ready for some vitriolic responses to your self description. The majority here is either "right" or "left", with few of us resisting such assignations.

Hello,
Have fun. Er, it is quite often just shouting across the great divide. BTW, what is your subject, Professor?

Hello,
You will be horrified at the differing points of view here.

Hello,
So you are a big Trump supporter then?

Welcome!

Hello,
You will be horrified at the differing points of view here.
He should just sit at his computer and shout down the posts that offend him like they do at his college.

Sure, they can't hear you but I'm sure it will make him feel much better.

Hello,
As a fellow lefty I’ll tell you this is a right echo chamber and conspiracy nut haven. However I enjoy engaging with the righties here. 60% just tell me I’m a Marxist communist (far from it) but a few of them will offer a spirited debate. It’s entertaining and I learn a nugget occasionally. In a year I’ve converted so many righties to become lefties I lost count. I think the number is around zero.

Hello,
Have fun. Er, it is quite often just shouting across the great divide. BTW, what is your subject, Professor?
What divide?

Hello,
As a fellow lefty I’ll tell you this is a right echo chamber and conspiracy nut haven. However I enjoy engaging with the righties here. 60% just tell me I’m a Marxist communist (far from it) but a few of them will offer a spirited debate. It’s entertaining and I learn a nugget occasionally. In a year I’ve converted so many righties to become lefties I lost count. I think the number is around zero.
Marxist!

Hello,

Nobody "lives" in California.

Exists under the boot of a fascist regime? Yeah.

Hello,
What divide?
Here it is quite often the radical right trumpets versus any normal people and of course the radical left wing.

Hello,

So I'm going to warn you up front, what you are stepping into.

There is a minority of people on this forum, like me, who as long as you are civil with me, I'll be civil with you.

However, this forum is about as much free-speech as you can get, without it being like no-holds-bar Ultimate Fight. Meaning... if you do not have a thick skin, if you are not able to roll with the punches, if you can't handle people throwing poop....

This is not the forum for you. I promise. Many *WILL* discuss issues with you, but others are going to yell and scream.

This is how it is. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the "ignore" functions, because we do have a large population of professional trolls, and they default to insults, rather than discussion.

If you need to know how that works, you click on their Avatar icon. A pop up window will open, and you can locate and click on the "ignore" button at the bottom of the pop up window, and then reload the page, and magically the troll disappears.

But I want to be open and honest with you, that if you are looking for the type of civil debate that you saw with William F Buckley and "Firing Line", with polite discussion from the 1980s... you likely won't find much of that here. Some... but not a ton.

Nobody "lives" in California.
Exists under the boot of a fascist regime? Yeah.

Seems like good living to me. Looks like your from Massachusetts. I lived in New England for a long time, I love your state too. But then again, I love pretty much of all of America.

Hello,

Welcome, anthony.

Beware those who claim to be civil.

Hello,
Oh boy!
Well, welcome here!

Good luck with that.

Forum List

Back