I'm gonna get a motorcycle with the intention of eventually becoming a racer. Mom and dad are freaking out.

I use to have a soft tail slim flat black and loud as hell...beautiful bike that turned heads where ever I went but the road king fits me better...
My wideglide hits like a 600 hp 67 chevelle. Its got vance and hines short stacks, and is carbed and jetted. It sounds ridiculous!

It seems to me like street motorcycles are just too dangerous for my taste these days. On the road there's just too many elderly people who can barely see anymore and inexperienced teen drivers who don't even bother to look before they pull out in front of you.
Being a defensive rider is a must.
Hek man, if you are going fast enough, a rock can you ruin your day

It takes a lot of practice to be able to stay up using your knee.
I did it a few times on my YZF but i have been riding 2 wheels since i was 10.
We've all seen your bike, TN.

9ca50c21640f33f1fbd99f687d49cf88.jpg

I think half of it is just having the nerve to put yourself in that situation. I am a good learner. I'll definitely be able to master a motorcycle.
Unless you're between 16 and 20, just forget it. Go get a bike, and don't worry about racing.

I think half of it is just having the nerve to put yourself in that situation. I am a good learner. I'll definitely be able to master a motorcycle.

Riding a bike and racing a bike are very different things. Anyway, good luck and all that.

I'd rather be crazy than boring.

i've been in enough car accidents that I want to always be on teh INSIDE of the vehicle.

Boring is better than dead, or badly injured.

I remember my friends decided to go white water rafting once. I stayed home and played video games.

My one friend, that leg injury is a real problem for him, now that he is middle aged. Like decrease mobility and pain, every fucking step.

And later, when I could afford to hire a guide, I did that same route and had a good time. Without fear of death or injury.

Why not.

I guess it beats workin at a bank and dyin of ass cancer at 58.

augusto-fernandez-moto-gp.gif

Especially when you could just burn yours off so much younger.

Sure riding a motorcycle is very exhilarating.
But there is too much out or your control.
I just once hit a nail going 60, and the front went flat and was like putting on the front brake.
The bike flipped.
If not for leather, I would be missing half my skin.
Never rode a motorcycle again after that.

True.
My old Honda Davidson is sadly done though.
Haven't rode for three years.
Still have a snowmobile. Had that up to 105.
Ripping through a groomed trail in the north woods is awesome.

Same great power to weight ratio, but wider and more stable, and no road rash if you hit the ground.

Same great power to weight ratio, but wider and more stable, and no road rash if you hit the ground.
Pretty damn dangerous though. About twenty deaths a year average in MN. Usually hitting trees or an obstacle buried under fresh powder. Sometimes even running into open water at night.
My son broke his femur when we were carving 6 inches of fresh snow on the lake.
Hit an ice ridge at 60 and went off sled. Really looked like nothing from my POV and sled stayed upright. Our only choice was he got back on snowmobile and made his way back to the truck as it was ten below out.
A rescue would have took forever way out there.

Pretty damn dangerous though. About twenty deaths a year average in MN. Usually hitting trees or an obstacle buried under fresh powder. Sometimes even running into open water at night.
My son broke his femur when we were carving 6 inches of fresh snow on the lake.
Hit an ice ridge at 60 and went off sled. Really looked like nothing from my POV and sled stayed upright. Our only choice was he got back on snowmobile and made his way back to the truck as it was ten below out.
A rescue would have took forever way out there.

Good point. Had not thought of how snow can hide obstacles.

Marcus Aurelius said a man should not fear death, but rather the prospect of never truly living life, because one is inevitable and the other is something we can control.

I want to eventually race super fast and expensive motorcycles once I'm competent enough for it.

The most deadly racetrack in the world. I want to race on a track like that.

Please don't--I say this as a mom and grandmother.

Me too man.
I have a wide glide and love it, but i want more body, more space. I love road glides 😍
Thought about maybe trading up when my vehicle is paid off.
IDK i want so fucking much :lol:
Road Glide is the pinnacle of the Harley line. But a Road King with apes is a close second.

I'm in no way trying to discourage you, but I'll tell you a story. Back when I first learned how to ride, I took a class to get my license, and the instructor said "there are two types of riders; those who have had a crash, and those who will." I thought it was bullshit at the time, and I rode for years after that with no crashes (some close calls, though).

Then, in 2014, I got hit by a car from behind while I was stopped to make a left turn. The gal who hit me at 55 mph was texting and never even hit the brakes. I got a helicopter ride to the trauma center and a broken back, concussion, shredded elbow, and four broken ribs. My helmet and a bystander who put a tourniquet on my arm saved my life.

Do your dream, but be realistic about the risks.
Idiots on the road are definitely the scariest part. It might even be better to not do it on public roads at all, or at least not often.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back