Im going into my 7th day without smoking after 40 years of the habit

I accidentally wore two full strength patches today. Didn't realize it till my after work shower. I usually take them off before my shower but apparently forgot yesterday.
Explains why I felt like shit all day today.
Trying no patches tonight and see how I feel in the am

The nicotine ain't what kills you. It's just a poison that keeps you addicted. The tars and junk in haling 300,000 cigarettes in 40 years will shorten your life substantially. Get used to it

I can indeed breathe "better" for lack of a better word? Deeper and it feels refreshing. I do seem to cough a bit less but I wasn't a cougher in all honesty to begin with.

After 6 full days I don't get the "you'll feel better" bullshit that I always heard. I pretty much "feel" about the same minus the breathing aspect.
I have had a TERRIBLE week of no sleep. Couple hours a night at best but I'm not going to blame that on the lack of smoking. I've had major dental work started and I re injured my back pretty bad yesterday so this past week has been a total shitfest.
On the plus side I've actually lost weight instead of gaining it which is normal I hear when you stop smoking

I am eagerly awaiting the "you'll feel better days"

/blog
Good for you, Grampa. Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I have ever done.

And you WILL feel better. It's a gradual process.

I quit in 2007 after trying to do so for over a decade. Unfortunately, I waited until I had some irreversible emphysema, so I do get short of breath with strenuous exercise now.

Quitting was one of the best things I have ever done.

Don't give up!

I remember days when I would literally be drooling while thinking about a cigarette. I felt like I knew what a vampire must feel like.

I remember one time seeing some old hag in a beater car driving through an intersection with a cig dangling from her wrinkled old mouth and being jealous of her. :lol:

It's a vicious addiction.

Trust me, you will be so glad you did this and stuck to it.

The nicotine ain't what kills you. It's just a poison that keeps you addicted. The tars and junk in haling 300,000 cigarettes in 40 years will shorten your life substantially. Get used to it
Dude I wore two patches today by accident. Fuck the tar and cancer.. I was off the charts sick as fuck all day before I had realized I doubled up by accident.
Nicotine is a nasty fucking hoe

Bad habits like smoking and drinking, drugs, etc. damage every cell in your body. It takes a full year or more for cells to regenerate. So be patient. Next year you'll feel great. :)

I can indeed breathe "better" for lack of a better word? Deeper and it feels refreshing. I do seem to cough a bit less but I wasn't a cougher in all honesty to begin with.

After 6 full days I don't get the "you'll feel better" bullshit that I always heard. I pretty much "feel" about the same minus the breathing aspect.
I have had a TERRIBLE week of no sleep. Couple hours a night at best but I'm not going to blame that on the lack of smoking. I've had major dental work started and I re injured my back pretty bad yesterday so this past week has been a total shitfest.
On the plus side I've actually lost weight instead of gaining it which is normal I hear when you stop smoking

/blog

That Cloud of Smoke Is Not a Mirage​

Cigarettes, once shunned, have made a comeback with a younger crowd who knows better.
merlin_199435155_5c95715c-5cb6-4965-a777-045f67a8a009-superJumbo.jpg

". . . At the same time, a number of people interviewed for this article expressed irritation with the insidiousness of e-cigarettes: Their relative camouflage, compared with traditional cigarettes, means users can, and often do, hit it all the time. The nicotine stream from an e-cigarette becomes like the internet itself: constant, unbreakable and yearning for their attention.

“I was like, ‘I am just consuming way too much nicotine,’” said Ms. Yara, who found herself inhaling more than one Juul pod a day, the equivalent nicotine of a pack of cigarettes. “I hated how if I couldn’t find a vape for a second, I could not do schoolwork.” Ms. Yara returned to cigarettes as a means of decreasing her vape use.

So did Emile Osborne, a 22-year-old graphic designer. “I switched back to cigarettes because I thought it would be healthier than Juuling,” he said. “Cigarettes seem like a known evil, whereas vaping you don’t know the side effects at all. I can go out for a cig a few times a day. It’s a break from what I’m doing. That’s my nicotine fix for the day. . . ”

After 40 yrs, a week to feel better is a lot to ask

When I quit, the 2nd year was so so hard. The 1st yr was so so easy compared to that 2nd yr. The mental games your mind plays against you are unreal in that 2nd yr

If you can go for 10 yrs, you quit. Less than 10 you only stop.

The first 10 yrs are a real bitch, it gets easier after that
My sister quit for a few years but was finally overcome by the desire to smoke. Her whole house smelled like an ashtray. Even the bedding in the quest room where I stayed while visiting her made me sick. I had to leave after just a couple of days. Horrible habit.

/blog
It's much easier than people will tell you it is.
In fact, for some people it's harder getting off caffeine or sugar.

A pack of cigarettes cost about a quarter in a cigarette vending machine about fifty years ago. Members of the Military used to have a couple of cigarettes added to a C-ration meal in the field. The same people who told Americans that cigarettes were healthy are now claiming that marijuana use is a medical benefit. Go figure.

I am eagerly awaiting the "you'll feel better days

/blog
I quit smoking on 7/11/1993 after smoking since age 12, I quit at age 37. I am now 65. The best thing I have ever done. I don't have that old smokers cough or smell about me anymore. I breathe much better. I quit by using the patches for 12 days. It is really mind over matter after the initial physical withdrawl. I did gain weight but it could also be from age or because food tastes better.

I can't quit smoking..... unless I start... Never smoked a cigarette. When I was a kid growing up in the late 60s an 70s is was almost a given that if a person was an adult, he/she smoked. I had relatives that I couldn't stand to be around because they chain smoked one cigarette after another.

Lucky for me the "Quit Smoking" phase hit society and most of my relatives and other people I would be exposed to either quit smoking or were relegated to smoking areas by the time I was an adult. Actually, as an adult, I can tolerate second hand smoke better than I could as a kid, or perhaps due to the anti-smoking movement I am never exposed to it in the high concentrations I was as a kid.

One time I was at a party/gathering and a guy offered me a cigar. I can of made an ass of myself, probably seemed kind of weird. But one thing that really pisses me off is when a smoker tries to get someone else to smoke. Please, if you are a smoker, don't encourage anyone else to start your bad habit.

I haven't had a cigarette in two years. I still want one. I like standing next to a group of smokers just for the second hand smoke.
**it's so easy**"

I haven't had a cigarette in two years. I still want one. I like standing next to a group of smokers just for the second hand smoke.
**it's so easy**"

Me too. In fact I think I started smoking because I thought smoking myself would smell as pleasant. Of course it didn't. Just because burning autumn leaves smell great doesn't mean we should roll them into a cigarette.

Forum List

Back