Illinois High School Refuses To Let Female Marine Walk For Graduation Over Dress Code

I graduated ELHS in 1975. I see the school from my kitchen window.

It did not cost one dollar of tax payer's money to pray at the 2016 commencement. Everyone there left safely, no harm was done.

I am proud of my fellow graduates. I am Potter Proud.

And I am a Liberal.

Why should a group from Wisconsin tell us here in East Liverpool how to conduct a graduation ceremony?

My class heard the choir sing The Lord's Prayer and each of us graduated with the ability to think and reason and act responsibly.

Go Potters!

Last edited:
This woman signed up to defend and possibility make the ultimate sacrifice for this country. I think this is wrong on the schools part. It's disrespectful and unappreciative.

Illinois high school refuses to let Marine walk for graduation over dress code | Fox News

So, they have rules, and she didn't follow the rules...

Shame on her.

Give her 10 days after school detention for believing in Freedom of Speech

Freedom of Speech? Are you serious?

So, if a school has a dress code, like tie, shirt, good pants etc, and a kid turns up with a t-shirt which says "fuck off teachers" and cut jeans etc, then it's them practicing their "right to free speech"??

No, it's not.

It did not cost one dollar of tax payer's money to pray at the 2016 commencement. Everyone there left safely, no harm was done.

And I am a Liberal.

Why should a group from Wisconsin tell us here in East Liverpool how to conduct a graduation ceremony?

My class heard the choir sing The Lord's Prayer and each of us graduated with the ability to think and reason and act responsibly.

Go Potters!

I was recently in East Liverpool visiting friends. We went to Zatta's and drank too much...again. :wine:

This woman signed up to defend and possibility make the ultimate sacrifice for this country. I think this is wrong on the schools part. It's disrespectful and unappreciative.

Illinois high school refuses to let Marine walk for graduation over dress code | Fox News

Shame on her.

So, if a school has a dress code, like tie, shirt, good pants etc, and a kid turns up with a t-shirt which says "fuck off teachers" and cut jeans etc, then it's them practicing their "right to free speech"??

No, it's not.

Trouble is, we aren't talking about a kid with a "fuck off teachers" tee.
We're talking about a marine in dress uniform

And since when are graduation gowns part of the dress code?

Shame on her.

No, it's not.

Trouble is, we aren't talking about a kid with a "fuck off teachers" tee.
We're talking about a marine in dress uniform

And since when are graduation gowns part of the dress code?

Well, if the school makes a dress code for the graduation, this is how they do their graduation.

And I am a Liberal.

Go Potters!

I'm not that far north, but if you see any of those kids tell them the whole Ohio Valley is Potter Proud this day!

The uniform of a Marine trumps a cap and gown. It's on a completely different level. The school should have felt honored.

But a uniform of the Marines doesn't trump the school rules in the school.

Then the school is at fault...

The school is at fault for making rules and expecting pupils to stick by those rules?

Are you serious?

The pupil who couldn't follow simple rules (and expects WHAT in the Marines???) is the one who is at fault.

The uniform of a Marine trumps a cap and gown. It's on a completely different level. The school should have felt honored.

The school is at fault for making rules and expecting pupils to stick by those rules?

Are you serious?

The pupil who couldn't follow simple rules (and expects WHAT in the Marines???) is the one who is at fault.
What did she do? Looks like she wanted to avoid making trouble and did the right thing.

Are you serious?

What did she do? Looks like she wanted to avoid making trouble and did the right thing.

She wanted to avoid trouble by wearing what she shouldn't have worn? I don't get it.

And I am a Liberal.

Go Potters!

I was recently in East Liverpool visiting friends. We went to Zatta's and drank too much...again. :wine:
Next time, get a steak salad! Best I've ever had.

And there you have it folks... the ANTI AMERICAN SHIT being pumped into kids at the LEFTIST RUN ACADEMIA in America today.

Maybe she should show up to her next formation in her graduation gown.

From what I get out of the story it seems to me she was grandstanding, didn't get her way, chose not to participate in same manner as others in her situation had in the past. The Marines' saw the ceremony as an honor in terms of the high school as an institution and thus rules of conduct were at the discretion of the school. I can imagine that conduct is of utmost importance to the Marines.

Special snowflake didn't get to be a special snowflake. It's so tragic.

And I am a Liberal.

Go Potters!

I'm not that far north, but if you see any of those kids tell them the whole Ohio Valley is Potter Proud this day!
East Liverpool students reject demand to remove Lord's Prayer from graduation

Here's the story on my alma mater and the 2016 commencement ceremony.

You would think that someone who has enlisted in the military would understand the concept of rules and not whine about if they don't go their way.

The school made the rule long before she was even high school age; she said she was aware of the rule and chose not to walk if she couldn't be allowed an exception to the rule; and the Marine Corp representative agreed rules are to be respected, especially as a Marine.

If anything she shamed herself and the Marine Corp by choosing to not participate rather than obey rules that were made for and equally applied to all graduates. I respect the pride felt with personal accomplishments and even the desire to show off a little. But if you throw a fit because you're not allowed to show off your accomplishments then you're just selfish and insecure. Hardly the qualities of the Corp, or any armed services member for that matter.

Are you serious?

There are exceptions to every rule. This wasn't a Halloween costume. This is what someone wears when they are willing to give their life for our freedom.

Are you serious?

There are exceptions to every rule. This wasn't a Halloween costume. This is what someone wears when they are willing to give their life for our freedom.

Exceptions exist to accommodate extreme and unusual circumstances. Not to help individuals express or exhibit how proud they are of their affiliation with an organization that has no connection or relevance to the school or the ceremony which focuses on the graduates of that school.

The problem with entitlement is that too many people think they should be given special treatment just because they think they're better or more important than everyone else or their beliefs mean more than other people's beliefs.

A high school graduation ceremony is about honoring the graduates of that school. It is not about any other organization, no matter how respectable or honorable it might be.

Forum List

Back