If you could only own one gun....the AR-15 is a good choice....

I'll stay w/my .280 3/9 scope for hunting thx

~S~

There is no wrong weapon for Home Defense. The Right One is the one you have. And setting off a round from that canon in an encloses space (even if you don't hit anything) will cause quite a bit of panic.

I have a .280 for hunting deer, i have 12G pumps for birds, I have a .410 for rats in the barn, i also have black powders , etc Daryl

They are the 'right tools' for the job on a small farm

Where i grew up, my pal's pop used to raise the flag every 4th, get in his dress blues (he was a vietnam marine) , and set off his cannon in his front yard

Yes, i said cannon, not sure just wtf it was, maybe 3 ft long , with a 2" bore....

All the dogs barked in the 'hood, all the 'ol birds called the cops, who came on down to see George (that was his name) with his cannon and flag in his front yard

They never did have the heart to haul 'ol George off either.....he's long passed on now

When my pal passed, his brothers and I found that cannon, lit the thing off at his funeral , right on out in the graveyard

I'd like to think they both would have approved.....

~S~

For starters, America's favorite Rifle is the Savage Model 60. And there is nothing more frightening than the racking of a Model 870 12 gauge in a dark room no matter what you are armed with.
Tactical error my friend. It should already be chambered.
I never er could understand some peoples thinking on that matter. If I'm gonna give up my position by making noise... There will be light and pain associated with it. Too many movies I suppose...

And too many faces in the soon to come nightmares.
Only for those who have regrets...

If you won't have regrets maybe you shouldn't have firearms in the first place.
I'll give that assessment all the consideration its due; coming from an idiot that thinks a couch provides cover from a firearm...

Thats like saying, 'If I could only have one tool, would it be screwdriver or pliers?'.

It would really depend on the situation was I found myself in.

And how long I might be in that situation.

Here.....a look at why people like the AR-15 civilian rifle for self defense...

If You Could Only Own One Gun, An AR-15 Is A Great Choice Too

While in many respects, a shotgun is indeed a great (the best?) choice if you can only own one gun…but an AR-15 is also a darn good option.

In fact, an AR pattern rifle is a better choice in certain regards, though not as much in others. Shotguns are a little more ubiquitous, it’s true, but America’s favorite rifle, the AR-15 comes darn close.

For starters, the AR-15 is one of the easiest weapon systems to learn. Since it’s a rifle, it is – like a shotgun – easier to be reliably accurate with for most shooters than a handgun, so long as the sighting system (be it iron sights, a red dot, or magnified optic) is zeroed.

Insert magazine, pull back the charging handle, and place it on safe. In case of bad guy, take safety off, aim and fire. Pretty darned simple.

Also, an AR-15 is far easier for most women to handle, which is one area where a shotgun (particularly the most popular 12 gauge variety) falls short. The length of pull on many smoothbores is frequently too long and a woman who isn’t used to the recoil of a 12-gauge (or even some 20 gauges for that matter) may be hesitant with one.
I’m glad the article recognized straight away the versatility of the shotgun. Little else can really compare. Especially in a “if I could only own one gun” scenario. A shotgun can even be used to get an AR...

For starters, America's favorite Rifle is the Savage Model 60. And there is nothing more frightening than the racking of a Model 870 12 gauge in a dark room no matter what you are armed with.

Why is your room dark? Don't you believe in weapon-mounted lights, and the fourth basic rule of firearms safety?

:04:

I love weapon mounted lights. Gives me an easier target. Unless it's pointed directly at me, it just gave away your position. With a Shotgun, just shoot the light out. Anything behind it won't fare too well. And Grandma after a cup of Tea won't be running around with a weapon mounted lighted gun.

Ever been smacked in the eyeballs with a 400 lumen light when it's in the strobe mode? You'd probably be so disoriented that you'd lose your balance and fall down. There's a good reason why law-enforcement officers don't go sneaking around in the dark when they're clearing rooms. A weapon-mounted light is pretty much a standard accessory on many agencies' service weapons, rifles, and shotguns.

I'm with miketx. The amateurism in this thread is giving me a headache.

I'm outta here.

Last edited:
I'll stay w/my .280 3/9 scope for hunting thx

~S~

There is no wrong weapon for Home Defense. The Right One is the one you have. And setting off a round from that canon in an encloses space (even if you don't hit anything) will cause quite a bit of panic.

I have a .280 for hunting deer, i have 12G pumps for birds, I have a .410 for rats in the barn, i also have black powders , etc Daryl

They are the 'right tools' for the job on a small farm

Where i grew up, my pal's pop used to raise the flag every 4th, get in his dress blues (he was a vietnam marine) , and set off his cannon in his front yard

Yes, i said cannon, not sure just wtf it was, maybe 3 ft long , with a 2" bore....

All the dogs barked in the 'hood, all the 'ol birds called the cops, who came on down to see George (that was his name) with his cannon and flag in his front yard

They never did have the heart to haul 'ol George off either.....he's long passed on now

When my pal passed, his brothers and I found that cannon, lit the thing off at his funeral , right on out in the graveyard

I'd like to think they both would have approved.....

~S~

Was that a breach loader? Sounds like an old Hotchis Cannon. That's what ended the Indian Wars. Did it use cartridge or was it loaded through the muzzle? The Big cannons were great in grand wars but in smaller dustups, the smaller ones were much more effective. And your Grandpa probably had it forever. Not every Sheriff used to press the 1934 law so hard when they knew that no harm ever would happen.

And as a tribute to the old Gentle Man, I approve the way the Cannon went out.

Here.....a look at why people like the AR-15 civilian rifle for self defense...

If You Could Only Own One Gun, An AR-15 Is A Great Choice Too

While in many respects, a shotgun is indeed a great (the best?) choice if you can only own one gun…but an AR-15 is also a darn good option.

In fact, an AR pattern rifle is a better choice in certain regards, though not as much in others. Shotguns are a little more ubiquitous, it’s true, but America’s favorite rifle, the AR-15 comes darn close.

For starters, the AR-15 is one of the easiest weapon systems to learn. Since it’s a rifle, it is – like a shotgun – easier to be reliably accurate with for most shooters than a handgun, so long as the sighting system (be it iron sights, a red dot, or magnified optic) is zeroed.

Insert magazine, pull back the charging handle, and place it on safe. In case of bad guy, take safety off, aim and fire. Pretty darned simple.

Also, an AR-15 is far easier for most women to handle, which is one area where a shotgun (particularly the most popular 12 gauge variety) falls short. The length of pull on many smoothbores is frequently too long and a woman who isn’t used to the recoil of a 12-gauge (or even some 20 gauges for that matter) may be hesitant with one.
I’m glad the article recognized straight away the versatility of the shotgun. Little else can really compare. Especially in a “if I could only own one gun” scenario. A shotgun can even be used to get an AR...

Why is your room dark? Don't you believe in weapon-mounted lights, and the fourth basic rule of firearms safety?

I love weapon mounted lights. Gives me an easier target. Unless it's pointed directly at me, it just gave away your position. With a Shotgun, just shoot the light out. Anything behind it won't fare too well. And Grandma after a cup of Tea won't be running around with a weapon mounted lighted gun.

Ever been smacked in the eyeballs with a 400 lumen light when it's in the strobe mode? You'd probably be so disoriented that you'd lose your balance and fall down. There's a good reason why law-enforcement officers don't go sneaking around in the dark when they're clearing rooms. A weapon-mounted light is pretty much a standard accessory on many agencies' service weapons, rifles, and shotguns.

Yah, I have been. Mine is a 800 lumen. Even so, if I get hit in the eyes, before it centers on me, I am going to blow that light to hell and gone and anything behind it. Grandma won't have your 400 lumen light trying to get a cup of Tea so it's safe to say that it's an armed intruder.

Yah, I have been. Mine is a 800 lumen. Even so, if I get hit in the eyes, before it centers on me, I am going to blow that light to hell and gone and anything behind it. Grandma won't have your 400 lumen light trying to get a cup of Tea so it's safe to say that it's an armed intruder.
So once you've shot at an object 2 feet left and a foot high of the actual aggressor; giving away your location... How you gonna hold up hiding behind your paper mache couch when the assailant unloads? The flashlight isn't the enemy... Like I said... You're a statistic.

So once you've shot at an object 2 feet left and a foot to the right of the actual aggressor; giving away your location... How you gonna hold up hiding behind your paper mache couch when the assailant in loads? The flashlight isn't the enemy... Like I said... You're a statistic.

Wow, you sure don't know much about the human makeup. So I fired and missed the body and hit the hand and the arm blowing it nearly clean off. He ain't firing at all with that much trauma. And if he has it mounted on his weapon, he's a mass of hamburger. You watch way too many movies, Rambo.

I
Tactical error my friend. It should already be chambered.
I never er could understand some peoples thinking on that matter. If I'm gonna give up my position by making noise... There will be light and pain associated with it. Too many movies I suppose...

And too many faces in the soon to come nightmares.
Only for those who have regrets...

If you won't have regrets maybe you shouldn't have firearms in the first place.
fag.gif

SS mini 14 and a Moss 500 marine SS here.
Dammit! I so badly want to like the Remmies better! But the fact of the matter is; the Mossies have a better safety arrangement conducive to right, and left handed shooting. Training can level out the difference, but out the gate; the Mossie has better ergos.

Last edited:

I won't admit to having any firearms due to some of the Gunnutters wanting to disarm anyone that doesn't 100% agree with them. But I might, I stress, might have access to a S&W 1911A1, Winchester 870 and a Remington model 700 Ought Six.

But I would NEVER admit to owning any firearms. But the Gunnuters are free to come check unannounced.

So once you've shot at an object 2 feet left and a foot to the right of the actual aggressor; giving away your location... How you gonna hold up hiding behind your paper mache couch when the assailant in loads? The flashlight isn't the enemy... Like I said... You're a statistic.

Wow, you sure don't know much about the human makeup. So I fired and missed the body and hit the hand and the arm blowing it nearly clean off. He ain't firing at all with that much trauma. And if he has it mounted on his weapon, he's a mass of hamburger. You watch way too many movies, Rambo.
You think every flashlight has a gun attached to it? Hmmm.. Interesting. Maybe I read you wrong. Your statistic may not be that of a casualty. Rather that of an inmate for shooting an unarmed man... But hey do whatcha gotta. If it goes south; you can always hide behind your couch. Lol..!

I won't admit to having any firearms due to some of the Gunnutters wanting to disarm anyone that doesn't 100% agree with them. But I might, I stress, might have access to a S&W 1911A1, Winchester 870 and a Remington model 700 Ought Six.

But I would NEVER admit to owning any firearms. But the Gunnuters are free to come check unannounced.
I live in a FREE country. We all have arms...legal and registered and nobody with a disarmament mentality. If you get nailed with an unregistered piece. 1 year. No questions asked.

I live in a FREE country. We all have arms...legal and registered and nobody with a disarmament mentality. If you get nailed with an unregistered piece. 1 year. No questions asked.

Please sir, what is a "registered" firearm? :laughing0301:

Please sir, what is a "registered" firearm? :laughing0301:
En el rejistro nacional

You think every flashlight has a gun attached to it? Hmmm.. Interesting. Maybe I read you wrong. Your statistic may not be that of a casualty. Rather that of an inmate for shooting an unarmed man... But hey do whatcha gotta. If it goes south; you can always hide behind your couch. Lol..!

I already stated I would announce first from cover in the Darkness behind a heavy piece of furnature AFTER I racked the action. The Shotgun is already pointed and ready to fire. But if it's Grandma hold that flashlight after a cup of Tea then I don't shoot because she will announce herself. Well, unless Grandma has a contract out to wipe you out, that is. You never know about Crazy Grandma.

Forum List

Back