If there was any remaining doubt that President Biden has gone over the far-left edge. Would restrict the speed of boats over 35' to 10 knots! WHAT?

I would suspect this has something to do with fuel consumption. The speed limit of every car and truck in this country is regulated. What's the big whoop about the same thing for boats?
Because, well…they’re boats! Gotta go fast!

That is only one of many species that suffers from collisions. But, more important, the North Atlantic Right whale is the most critically endangered whale species. A rough estimate has them at a population of 500.

5 collisions matter.

Is it so horrible to slow down?

Yes it is.
It would cripple the sport fishing industry causing a huge loss of jobs for one.
Now maybe if they could tell us when and where the whales are something could be worked out.
But you cant just put an outright ban on all boats going over 11.5 mph.

That is only one of many species that suffers from collisions. But, more important, the North Atlantic Right whale is the most critically endangered whale species. A rough estimate has them at a population of 500.
There are lots more south of the equator. Way more.

5 collisions matter. Is it so horrible to slow down?
For all the reasons in the OP's article! Many ships are unnavigable at such a slow speed where the waves overtake their ability to stay on course. I'm more for finding a sound that scares right whales and makes them pay attention and avoid ships, then having boats blast that occasionally as needed to teach them to move off. Or rethinking how and where we set fishing nets. Or developing a whate deflector or detector that allows ships to slow down and avoid collisions. Or maybe all of humanity should just pack it up and die, because that is what it would take in order to eliminate all destructive encounters, encroachments and ill-effects on other life on the planet. Meantime, does the right whale have any known value to nature? I mean, if there are only a few hundred left in the north after all the years since whaling has been stopped, they can't be too good of a survivor or doing much good in the collective biomass.

Meantime our plans to save the planet with green energy and EV cars has run aground because a few environmentalists have found an uncommon buckweed with only 16,000 plants left in a few acres of land RIGHT WHERE they need to mine to get at our lithium supplies! And they are going to save those weeds at any cost!!! :shok:

If you’ve never heard of them, that’s your ignorance…
Have you ever heard of the star Zubenelgenubi? Common zodiacal star in the sky right over your head all your life!

they were the most popular species for whale hunters (hence “right” whale).
Sorry, Whaling for blubber was a bit before my time. I fill by lamps with kerosene.

Boating accidents weren‘t the primary reason foe their decline, hunting was.
And that hunting was largely ended long ago.

But now there are so few left boating accidents are becoming a major factor.
Extinction may be inevitable then. We can't save everything, at any cost. After all, the Earth has been eradicating species (most species) since life began, hopefully for a reason. Meantime, they could tag their herds and NASA could map their habits from space so we have a better idea where to avoid them.

Have you ever heard of the star Zubenelgenubi? Common zodiacal star in the sky right over your head all your life!

Sorry, Whaling for blubber was a bit before my time. I fill by lamps with kerosene.

And that hunting was largely ended long ago.

Extinction may be inevitable then. We can't save everything, at any cost. After all, the Earth has been eradicating species (most species) since life began, hopefully for a reason. Meantime, they could tag their herds and NASA could map their habits from space so we have a better idea where to avoid them.
Or we could go a little slower. Ya…I know, way too much to ask of people.

Or we could go a little slower. Ya…I know, way too much to ask of people.

Again, IMPRACTICAL for all of the reasons given in the OP's link! With so few encounters, I think we can afford to look for a solution that preserves these whales best as possible while making as little economic impact on people FIRST.

Again, IMPRACTICAL for all of the reasons given in the OP's link! With so few encounters, I think we can afford to look for a solution that preserves these whales best as possible while making as little economic impact on people FIRST.
Why is economic impact more important than lives?

Why is economic impact more important than lives?

Because economic impacts affects thousands, millions of lives for one possible hypothetical impact with a whale that /might/ happen once every three years! That's why we should look for a way to avoid the whales or teach them to avoid us before wrecking countless lives with senseless restrictions which I might add, ARE NOT WITHIN THE LEGAL PURVIEW OF A PRESIDENT TO EVEN MAKE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If you’ve never heard of them, that’s your ignorance…they were the most popular species for whale hunters (hence “right” whale).

Boating accidents weren‘t the primary reason foe their decline, hunting was. But now there are so few left boating accidents are becoming a major factor.
Oh my gosh, you just can't make this up. Come on man, you're just joshing. What a hoot!

It's about saving endangered Right whales from being injured or killed by high-speed watercraft.

Which almost never happens. End windmills and you will save far more endangered critters than this idiocy.

If you’ve never heard of them, that’s your ignorance…they were the most popular species for whale hunters (hence “right” whale).

Boating accidents weren‘t the primary reason foe their decline, hunting was. But now there are so few left boating accidents are becoming a major factor.

No, they aren't. Collisions with the whales are incredibly rare.

No, they aren't. Collisions with the whales are incredibly rare.

Collisions with vessels are the one of the most frequent causes of premature death for several highly endangered marine mammals, including the North Atlantic right whale, blue whale and Florida manatee. Each of these species is already so depleted that the loss of only a few individuals can mean the difference between moving toward recovery or being pushed further toward extinction.

The numbers are staggering: Scientists estimate 80 whales die each year off the U.S. West Coast; and in the Atlantic, roughly a third of all right whale deaths are caused by vessel strikes. These deaths are all unnecessary.

Collisions can be avoided by changing shipping routes to avoid areas where whales congregate, using existing technology to alert captains to nearby whales, and, most effectively, implementing mandatory speed limits. Slowing vessel traffic not only prevents lethal collisions with whales and other creatures; it also reduces air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

According to research carried out by non-profit Friend of the Sea, ship strikes kill more than 20,000 whales every year. This an alarming number, especially considering how close to extinction some species (such as the North Atlantic right whale) already are.

The problem of whale ship collisions is a worldwide phenomenon, but Friend of the Sea has identified eleven key spots where strikes are especially common. These are areas where shipping lanes cross prime feeding and breeding areas for whales.

The key areas and endangered whale species that are threatened by ship strikes include: blue whales in Sri Lanka, sperm whales in the Canary Islands, and humpback whales in Panama.

I think it was a strategic mistake for the political right to attack Biden over this. Aside from exposing their apparent lack of concern about endangered species, it reveals a potent strain of "derangement syndrome" that Trump fans are suffering with respect to President Biden. The only reason they don't like Biden is that the American people like him more than than they like Donald Trump. That has sent every Trump supporter into such a tizzy that they actually decided to buy into Trump's blatant lies about the election. In the cold glare of history, Trump will look exactly like the ignorant monster he actually is and his supporters will be seen to be acting as flabbergastingly stupid as they actually are. For god's sake people, wake the fuck up.

You'd fight to the death with a stick, wouldn't you?

Perhaps you missed this or, like I said, you'd argue with a stick.

"The statement admitted, however, there have only been five deadly whale strikes by boats between 35 to 65 feet in length over the last 15 years."
Jes' sayin'. :)

Collisions with vessels are the one of the most frequent causes of premature death for several highly endangered marine mammals, including the North Atlantic right whale, blue whale and Florida manatee. Each of these species is already so depleted that the loss of only a few individuals can mean the difference between moving toward recovery or being pushed further toward extinction.

The numbers are staggering: Scientists estimate 80 whales die each year off the U.S. West Coast; and in the Atlantic, roughly a third of all right whale deaths are caused by vessel strikes. These deaths are all unnecessary.

Collisions can be avoided by changing shipping routes to avoid areas where whales congregate, using existing technology to alert captains to nearby whales, and, most effectively, implementing mandatory speed limits. Slowing vessel traffic not only prevents lethal collisions with whales and other creatures; it also reduces air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

According to research carried out by non-profit Friend of the Sea, ship strikes kill more than 20,000 whales every year. This an alarming number, especially considering how close to extinction some species (such as the North Atlantic right whale) already are.

The problem of whale ship collisions is a worldwide phenomenon, but Friend of the Sea has identified eleven key spots where strikes are especially common. These are areas where shipping lanes cross prime feeding and breeding areas for whales.

The key areas and endangered whale species that are threatened by ship strikes include: blue whales in Sri Lanka, sperm whales in the Canary Islands, and humpback whales in Panama.

Yeah, I love how they estimate based on nothing. They literally pulled their numbers from thin air.

5 collisions matter.

Is it so horrible to slow down?

In solidarity limit yourself to 12 MPH while driving and find out.

You have to remember that many ports have specific channels to let ships in and out, this will create clogs on both entries and exits to and from these ports.

All while our transport system is still under stress.

Forum List

Back