If the Hurricanes don't kill you, check out these added health risks:

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Everyone I know was amazed the death toll wasn't higher than it was
for Harvey (then Irma and Jose). But just the hurricane(s) hitting and passing over land
isn't enough to be safe from danger and death.

In addition to drowning deaths during flooding, evacuations, and rescues,
in homes, cars, and streets, the public has relied on media sources to warn them
of ongoing hazards and threats to health and life that could become epidemic:

1. infections and illness from exposure to toxic bacteria in flood waters:
especially where Houston water was found to have unprecedented concentrations
of both e coli, as well as chemical pollutants, and other bacteria that
can trigger sepsis, tetanus, and other infections of the blood, cells, skin etc.

Houston hospitals see surge in skin infections in Harvey’s wake

One of the scarier infections is Necrotizing Fasciitis, that destroys cells, tissues
and organs so quickly, people can die if this isn't diagnosed and treated fast!

Hurricane Harvey first responder nearly dies from severe infection inflicted during rescues

2. Risk of electrocution:
* both inside homes where an untold number of people got exposed to electrical currents and shocks (another reason to turn the power off when leaving houses, and unplug electrical cords).

* as well as outside from stepping on live wiring
Harvey: Man Rescuing Cat Electrocuted By Live Wire In Murky Water
This young man died in the Bear Creek subdivision near the reservoirs that were released early to cause additional houses to flood. Because it happened early on while evacuations and rescues were going on, this fatal accident served as a warning how dangerous it is to tread through floodwaters.

On the NW side of Houston, a team of rescuers evacuating families by boat
ended up pushed into power lines, where at least 2 men died immediately,
2 more were swept away, and 2 who survived held onto branches for 20 hours
before they were spotted and rescued)
4 volunteer rescuers missing after helping flood victims

3. Risk of dangerous animals and animal waste:
I have not heard of any "fatal" cases personally this time around, but there were reports of snakes, spiders, alligators, and other rodents like opossums, getting into people's houses.

Fire ants making a floating colony, by clinging to dead bodies, don't make high-water rescues any easier:
These are the floating fire ants in Houston floods scaring everyone on Twitter

Mosquitoes that can carry West Nile, Zika or other diseases are expected to start swarming again soon, so if catching a disease doesn't kill you -- or the chemical spraying or genetic engineering to reduce Mosquito populations -- even regular insect bites can become infected by exposure to floodwater. Scratching bites can spread it and/or create abrasions and rashes for greater risk of skin infection.

Diseases such as Leptospirosis and Weil's disease are linked to animal waste and bacteria carried by floodwater that infects open wounds. Another young man in our neighborhood who was helping clean out a family member's house ended up hospitalized with bacterial pneumonia.

This was especially frightening to me. I had two places to clean out by a fixed deadline, that didn't allow time for all the water to drain and dry out; there was still contaminated water sitting in containers or boxes. So during cleanup, none of this water can splash into eyes or face, or enter any openings, cuts or wounds.

With abrasions or even small cuts on my hands or legs, any exposure to floodwater filled with any number of the above types of bacteria could mean either a "mild infection, rash or illness" or a major one that can escalate quickly to deadly levels harder to treat (if the infection has spread through the bloodstream, limbs or organs). Unfortunately the symptoms of both mild and severe infections start off looking the same; and by the time it's clearly severe, these later stages escalate quickly to near death.

Some of these bacteria can enter through the eye or nasal membranes. Of all the people cleaning up yards, houses, cars and businesses, who ISN'T going to be exposed to this highly toxic sewage silt?
Not just 8 feet or higher of this residue on every surface, but during cleanup, re-releasing it through air-borne particles and smell, through sludge or floodwater smeared on any surface that hands have touched.

So this is why there was a heightened alert about possible health hazards at an epidemic rate after Harvey. After Hurricane Harvey ends, Houston residents will be at higher risk for bacteria-related acute illnesses

4. If Govt doesn't kill you, it will make you want to give up and die!

No, I'm not referring to FEMA and the work it created for reserve veterans trying to service millions of people applying online, by phone or by regular mail that isn't delivering on time anyway.

Seriously, there are reports of contested noxious pesticides being sprayed without first confirming the impact on humans or essential insects like bees:

U.S. Air Force Is Spraying 6 Million Acres With Chemicals in Response to Harvey

For every person preaching about Harvey as a Biblical Flood and sign of the end times, bringing plagues of diseases, and swarms of mosquitoes and govt planes spraying chemicals;
I'm sure there are Darwinists, evolution theorists, and environmentalists saying all this is Nature's way of reducing the population in large urban areas near the coastlines that have been getting too densely developed.

We'll see if these mass catastrophes change the way we do, plan and fund things.

If even conservative Republicans are applying for FEMA aid, then that may very well mean the end of the world!!!

Last edited:
for Harvey (then Irma and Jose). But just the hurricane(s) hitting and passing over land

in homes, cars, and streets, the public has relied on media sources to warn them

can trigger sepsis, tetanus, and other infections of the blood, cells, skin etc.

One of the scarier infections is Necrotizing Fasciitis, that destroys cells, tissues

Hurricane Harvey first responder nearly dies from severe infection inflicted during rescues

* both inside homes where an untold number of people got exposed to electrical currents and shocks (another reason to turn the power off when leaving houses, and unplug electrical cords).

This young man died in the Bear Creek subdivision near the reservoirs that were released early to cause additional houses to flood. Because it happened early on while evacuations and rescues were going on, this fatal accident served as a warning how dangerous it is to tread through floodwaters.

I have not heard of any "fatal" cases personally this time around, but there were reports of snakes, spiders, alligators, and other rodents like opossums, getting into people's houses.

Fire ants making a floating colony, by clinging to dead bodies, don't make high-water rescues any easier:

Mosquitoes that can carry West Nile, Zika or other diseases are expected to start swarming again soon, so if catching a disease doesn't kill you -- or the chemical spraying or genetic engineering to reduce Mosquito populations -- even regular insect bites can become infected by exposure to floodwater. Scratching bites can spread it and/or create abrasions and rashes for greater risk of skin infection.

Diseases such as Leptospirosis and Weil's disease are linked to animal waste and bacteria carried by floodwater that infects open wounds. Another young man in our neighborhood who was helping clean out a family member's house ended up hospitalized with bacterial pneumonia.

This was especially frightening to me. I had two places to clean out by a fixed deadline, that didn't allow time for all the water to drain and dry out; there was still contaminated water sitting in containers or boxes. So during cleanup, none of this water can splash into eyes or face, or enter any openings, cuts or wounds.

With abrasions or even small cuts on my hands or legs, any exposure to floodwater filled with any number of the above types of bacteria could mean either a "mild infection, rash or illness" or a major one that can escalate quickly to deadly levels harder to treat (if the infection has spread through the bloodstream, limbs or organs). Unfortunately the symptoms of both mild and severe infections start off looking the same; and by the time it's clearly severe, these later stages escalate quickly to near death.

Some of these bacteria can enter through the eye or nasal membranes. Of all the people cleaning up yards, houses, cars and businesses, who ISN'T going to be exposed to this highly toxic sewage silt?
Not just 8 feet or higher of this residue on every surface, but during cleanup, re-releasing it through air-borne particles and smell, through sludge or floodwater smeared on any surface that hands have touched.

So this is why there was a heightened alert about possible health hazards at an epidemic rate after Harvey. After Hurricane Harvey ends, Houston residents will be at higher risk for bacteria-related acute illnesses

No, I'm not referring to FEMA and the work it created for reserve veterans trying to service millions of people applying online, by phone or by regular mail that isn't delivering on time anyway.

Seriously, there are reports of contested noxious pesticides being sprayed without first confirming the impact on humans or essential insects like bees:

For every person preaching about Harvey as a Biblical Flood and sign of the end times, bringing plagues of diseases, and swarms of mosquitoes and govt planes spraying chemicals;
I'm sure there are Darwinists, evolution theorists, and environmentalists saying all this is Nature's way of reducing the population in large urban areas near the coastlines that have been getting too densely developed.

We'll see if these mass catastrophes change the way we do, plan and fund things.

If even conservative Republicans are applying for FEMA aid, then that may very well mean the end of the world!!!
I say let the carnage begin.....remember these are same people that VOTED IN A IDIOT THAT WANTS TO DISMANTLE THE EPA....I've had it with both Texas and Florida.

I say let the carnage begin.....remember these are same people that VOTED IN A IDIOT THAT WANTS TO DISMANTLE THE EPA....I've had it with both Texas and Florida.

Dear tigerred59 that kind of thinking reminds me of people blaming gays for 9/11, and justifying why God would punish America!

I'm sure there is a correlation with overpopulation in areas (where residents are undereducated and don't have organized resources),
and the death toll when a crisis, disease or natural disaster strikes.

Look at the difference between the number/rate of deaths in Florida vs. Texas depending if they were prepared or ORGANIZED in advance for the storms, surge and rescues.

However, that's not a matter of "who voted to dismantle" which govt agency; or who let all the undocumented immigrants in (where many were afraid to get help from shelters or other govt resources, thus adding complications to rescue and recovery).

Whose fault is that? The liberals for promoting an open door invitation without taking responsibility for adequate support? Or the conservatives advertising a CRACKDOWN on illegal immigration, blamed for increasing the fear of deportation and avoidance reaction?

When people are EDUCATED on issues such as Environment, it doesn't take depending on govt regulations to "make" people respect public health and safety, including environmental health.

tigerred59
I understand when you are talking about corporations needing to check themselves ethically and environmentally (since corporations are not "natural persons" but require states to license them or revoke charters).

I think it has more to do with the education level and the ability to organize to manage people and resources effectively.

If states such as Texas, Florida, California and NY have greater levels of diverse populations, including immigrants, that is going to bring in certain advantages as well as disadvantages. Where politics comes in is how our states manage the "logistics," and whether we organize and structure our relations and communities to be sustainable to support the population demands. Ideally the people should shape govt to this end, and agree on the laws and rules we want enforced, instead of govt mandating regulations to the people which is backwards.

Frankly tigerred59 I'm sick of the political infighting and fingerpointing gameplaying for points in the media trying to make the other team wrong and look bad!

I hope to see better localized structures come out of this storm and flood response, so that whole communities learn to manage themselves directly.

Then we wouldn't NEED to rely on a third-party govt EPA to police for us, if we have our own local communities, leaders, and residents doing their jobs to ensure safe standards are met. That concept of self-govt applies to solving other issues directly, instead of waiting for govt to step in.

Forum List

Back