If modern-day Democrats were like they used to be would you vote Democrat?

You ARE a Democrat.
You believe in collectivism & socialized systems/big govt.
The govt has no business in healthcare other than for the military or in setting wages for private business.
They have warped our free markets so they are almost unrecognizable.

BYW, the Soviets called the Dems useful idiots back in the day & for very good reason.
They enabled & supported communist regimes even back then
Brother I would tell you I am a Catholic. And an American… that’s kind of how my hero Roosevelt identified as a Christian and a American. Well Roosevelt was the mark of American strength and dignity. There’s a lot with my post do you agree or disagree that the site of the American steel worker the strong physically fit American man able to have a family of 4 to 8 able to send his kids to college this was the American dream? What do you think about that partner.

I am a Democrat. I am a liberal as well. I don’t believe in talking down to or personally attacking people it is the action of the uncivilized barbarian. Some of my heroes are the union leader Walter Reuther but also the great industrialist Henry Ford who was at one time antiunion but became pro union. I believe in great wealthy men like Henry for who not only wanted to better himself but also his country America.

We should have universal healthcare it is in line with Christian values. We should not have a death penalty. We should not have abortion. We should have a good minimum wage. We should have a strong middle-class. We should respect our police and firefighters these are some of my views in line with traditional Democrats in line with traditional American Christian values

The American steel worker had a union job making up to $100,000 a year adjusted for inflation. And used to be in America you could get those jobs right out of high school. Now the economic opportunities have dwindled in this country.

And now look at the middle class in America today it’s nothing we have inflation union jobs have gone from 35% to 10%. Americans are more obese and fat than they have ever been. The site of strength and dignity the side of American muscle replaced with laziness. Unacceptable. If we had Democrats though like we used to back in the 1940s and 1950s we would change for the better.

Last edited:
And now look at the middle class in America today it’s nothing we have inflation union jobs have gone from 35% to 10%. Americans are more obese and fat than they have ever been. The site of strength and dignity the side of American muscle replaced with laziness. Unacceptable. If we had Democrats though like we used to back in the 1940s and 1950s we would change for the better.

Globalization has meant the companies with union jobs in this country cannot compete with the far cheaper foreign labor, and that is not going to change. I don't see anything that gov't can do about it. Times have changed since the 40s and 50s, when we were the only standing industrial nation in the world that wasn't in ruins after WWII.

The slave owning Democrats, the KKK Democrats, or Jim Crow Democrats ? There are so many choices, still I'm not a racist so no voting for past versions of the Democratic party.
Well brother American history shows us that slavery was always a Republican and Democrat issue. Same with racism. That slavery and racism was always a worldwide issue. That’s my opinion on this issue I know that some people will try and say that the Democrats propped up slavery and segregation and the Republicans were the ones who are against it.

I would like to see Americans unite today. I want to see President Biden and President Trump shake hands by the way. You know how President Roosevelt brought on his Republican opponent Wendell Willkie in 1940 to work for him. That’s the leader ship we need.

I believe it is divisive to view slavery as a Democrat issue or say all it was the Democrats that kept up segregation. back in the 1950s black men and white men all over the world felt differently about things than they do today. They were men of their times. That includes the Dixie Krats….

To This day there is a misunderstanding toward a lot of the southern democrats of us history …these were men who helped the working class black and white people. There’s a stereotype against these folks.

I’m against any Republican or Democrat who is propping up race division, who is propping up the idea that America is imperialist or has a systemically racist history. Knowing that racism and injustice was always a worldwide issue but also knowing that America played a role in bringing about equal rights for society…. Iview American history in a positive matter that’s my point here and I want Democrats of today to do that.

I believe it is appropriate to say America has a liberal history that we were one of the leading countries to show the world what it means to give people more rights As our country has grown in age.

Back in the 40's and 50's they were the Southern Blue Dog Democrats...which became Republicans during the Civil Rights movement in the 60's. The only way to address issues like taxes, healthcare, and the environment....is to sweep as many Republicans out of office as possible.

I respect and get what you’re saying. but from what I see Democrats don’t talk much about the economy or national healthcare..,, And they won’t stand up to BLM, they won’t stand up to the people who have destroyed statues of history that have nothing to do with a confederate states. That’s why I’m not voting Democrat these days ..

What about the BLM issue. And people like the squad they have openly celebrated the destruction of statues of Christopher Columbus which mean a lot to Italian Americans like me. What about the whole far left Wolk culture that is against mutual respect. We should have mutual respect where Americans of white and black backgrounds can live in a society where we have historical statues that represent both of our history‘s.

I would also like to see Democrats stand up for freedom of speech. We can’t sit by while opposing views are banned on social media sites that’s an issue I have.

Globalization has meant the companies with union jobs in this country cannot compete with the far cheaper foreign labor, and that is not going to change. I don't see anything that gov't can do about it. Times have changed since the 40s and 50s, when we were the only standing industrial nation in the world that wasn't in ruins after WWII.
Good points. I would add that we should be ever thankful to the democrat Franklin Roosevelt and the Republicans and Democrats that teamed up together to make sure it was us we the Americans who were on the winning side in World War II ….and we came out as the number one economy with the strongest military in the world. Because of democratic leadership the US military went from a number 17 power before World War II to be number one in the world after World War II. To this day were the number one military super power and I give credit to Democrats for that. that’s my opinion on the matter.

Our gold reserve became number one. Our oil reserves became number one.

One would also then argue that we can learn from history from the American leader ship and the American people of the World War II era for how we could have a better economy and an even stronger military today. As you point out it’s not the 1940s or 1950s anymore…. but just as it was back in those days as great industrialists of those times such as Henry Ford Put together ideas that would help to create a strong American middle-class we need the people like Elon musk and Jeff Bezos or perhaps new tycoons to be able to create industries that lead to a stronger middle class. And should that include people being able to get a good paying job out of high school like Americans used to be able to get in relative abundance for much of the 20th century?

Last edited:
I respect and get what you’re saying. but from what I see Democrats don’t talk much about the economy or national healthcare..,, And they won’t stand up to BLM, they won’t stand up to the people who have destroyed statues of history that have nothing to do with a confederate states. That’s why I’m not voting Democrat these days ..

What about the BLM issue. And people like the squad they have openly celebrated the destruction of statues of Christopher Columbus which mean a lot to Italian Americans like me. What about the whole far left Wolk culture that is against mutual respect. We should have mutual respect where Americans of white and black backgrounds can live in a society where we have historical statues that represent both of our history‘s.

I would also like to see Democrats stand up for freedom of speech. We can’t sit by while opposing views are banned on social media sites that’s an issue I have.

LOL, you sound more like a conservative person than a democrat, at least in some respects. They say that a lot of democrats (millions) have left that party, although I think most of them still voted for democrats in the recent mid-terms. Which puts you kinda in the same boat with a whole lot of other people who are dissatisfied with the conduct of both parties but are stuck with the binary choice. We are left with trying to decide which is the least-worse option, which is quite unfortunate. That's what I've been doing for most of the last 50 years, voting more against a person or party rather than for someone. And now it could be the ultimate Gordian knot: do I vote for a man I despise or a party that I believe would be ruinous to this country?

The Republican hero Ronald Reagan said the first president he ever voted for was Franklin Roosevelt he said his hero was FDR. For a long time Ronald Reagan was a Democrat until he became a Republican. But even as Republican president speaking in the 1980s Reagan would consistently praise Franklin Roosevelt as a great American leader.

My point is to show that one of the most iconic Republicans Ronald Reagan himself recognized the leader ship quality in the Democrat FDR.

It’s my opinion that the best time period in American history was in the middle of the 20th century this is when our middle class was the strongest, when people had a lot of respect and dignity. And in those days it was Democrats leading the way… That includes our victory in World War II I feel the victory in World War II was the most important part of world history perhaps

Well, first off, the term "woke" is a term weaponized by the right wing to further their reliance on culture wars. The original meaning came out of (oddly enough), the shooting death of Michael Brown which brought BLM to the forefront. I'm sorry, if there was mutual respect and tolerance, then the term "woke" wouldn't exist. Right wingers and members of the alt-right use the term as a weapon for denying such respect and tolerance and using it to encourage violence against anyone who doesn't look like them, think like them, or believe what they believe. History and the raising of statues are ultimately written and done by the victors or the dominant race. Most of those statues honoring less than reputable Civil War officers, weren't even put up until the Klan became dominant in the 1920's.

What is it with Italians and Christopher Columbus? I'm always reminded of the conversation between Tony Soprano and Silvio about the butthurt of Columbus Day. You do know from history that Columbus coming here wasn't all that awesome for the people who already lived here, right? :auiqs.jpg:

Brother I would tell you I am a Catholic. And an American… that’s kind of how my hero Roosevelt identified as a Christian and a American. Well Roosevelt was the mark of American strength and dignity. There’s a lot with my post do you agree or disagree that the site of the American steel worker the strong physically fit American man able to have a family of 4 to 8 able to send his kids to college this was the American dream? What do you think about that partner.

I am a Democrat. I am a liberal as well. I don’t believe in talking down to or personally attacking people it is the action of the uncivilized barbarian. Some of my heroes are the union leader Walter Reuther but also the great industrialist Henry Ford who was at one time antiunion but became pro union. I believe in great wealthy men like Henry for who not only wanted to better himself but also his country America.

We should have universal healthcare it is in line with Christian values. We should not have a death penalty. We should not have abortion. We should have a good minimum wage. We should have a strong middle-class. We should respect our police and firefighters these are some of my views in line with traditional Democrats in line with traditional American Christian values

The American steel worker had a union job making up to $100,000 a year adjusted for inflation. And used to be in America you could get those jobs right out of high school. Now the economic opportunities have dwindled in this country.

You are NOT a liberal.

Forum List

Back