If Barack Obama can nominate a Supreme Court justice in an election year, why can't Donald Trump?

Obama could but since he didn't have the majority in the Senate, he declined hoping he could get the majority coming in the next election under the president of Hillary. But their plan didn't work.

So, who would expect us to be that stupid when we already have the Senate?

So unfair!
It's not about nominating, it's about confirming. Why is one blocked to give voters a voice in one instance but not the other?

It's not. Voters made their choice when they put Trump in the White House and a Republican majority in the Senate.
They also put Obama in the White House but that didn't stop Moscow Mitch from blocking his nominee

Again, Senate majority. The Senate has no constitutional obligation to provide advice and consent to the opposing party.

So unfair!
It's not about nominating, it's about confirming. Why is one blocked to give voters a voice in one instance but not the other?

It's not. Voters made their choice when they put Trump in the White House and a Republican majority in the Senate.
They also put Obama in the White House but that didn't stop Moscow Mitch from blocking his nominee
Obama lost a lot of seats.. Americans spoke

So unfair!

Voters had a voice in both cases. The President and the Senate are elected. The Republicans used their power to block the confirmation of Garland. Now, they use their power to confirm. As Obama said early in his Presidency, elections have consequences. The President just doesn't just nominate and the Senate automatically confirm.

The people spoke at the election, its real simple.

When someone is running to be president, one of the arguments is they can put Supreme Court Justices from their party on the Court. That's what Trump ran on. I expect him to keep his word. Ginsberg died, and Trump is going to nominate her successor. I don't care what time of the year is. He IS president. And I expect him to do his job.

So unfair!

Trump can and should...

The issue is Mitch McConnell comments in 2016 haunting him in 2020...
It isn't an issue at all.

Mitch McConnell's comments are not the Constitution. He has a duty to either affirm or deny any nomination. His justifications for or against are meaningless.

As the ad says, "Just do it."

Look, had McConnell not made such an issue back in 2016 then this would not be any issue at all...

Personally I believe it should be held off until the election is over because of what McConnell did in 2016 but many of you will disagree...

I am not wanting this with the hope of Biden winning and making the choice but because leadership should stand by their words and not flip flop...

Just my personal opinion and I will be honest I have more faith in Trump picks than I do Biden because it will not Biden picks but Harris choice which will be some fringe left radical...

Probably the kindest thing you will get from me when discussing Trump...

So unfair!

Trump can and should...

Mitch McConnell's comments are not the Constitution. He has a duty to either affirm or deny any nomination. His justifications for or against are meaningless.

Look, had McConnell not made such an issue back in 2016 then this would not be any issue at all...

Personally I believe it should be held off until the election is over because of what McConnell did in 2016 but many of you will disagree...

I am not wanting this with the hope of Biden winning and making the choice but because leadership should stand by their words and not flip flop...

Just my personal opinion and I will be honest I have more faith in Trump picks than I do Biden because it will not Biden picks but Harris choice which will be some fringe left radical...

What you don't seem to get is that it is NOT AN ISSUE now.

The Constitution is the Constitution and as long as he follows it, I don't really care who is butthurt and who is happy.

He should bring Trumps nominee up for a vote if that is what he wants to do and then call for a vote after a short, very short, process for the nominee to be interviewed.

Then vote to confirm or reject.

Just stop with the bullshit about what he said in the past. If the roles were reversed, the left wouldn't even acknowledge that their side said anything at all and tell the rest of the country to go fuck itself.

That is exactly what the Republicans should say to the Democrats.

So unfair!

Trump can and should...

The Constitution is the Constitution and as long as he follows it, I don't really care who is butthurt and who is happy.

He should bring Trumps nominee up for a vote if that is what he wants to do and then call for a vote after a short, very short, process for the nominee to be interviewed.

Just stop with the bullshit about what he said in the past. If the roles were reversed, the left wouldn't even acknowledge that their side said anything at all and tell the rest of the country to go fuck itself.

No, neither side should act that way and yes the past does matter!

Funny how the past does not matter anymore when it is Trump picking but would you feel the same had it been Clinton?

Of course not!

It just shows the willingness to be hypocrites and throwing away integrity just because you want to stick it to the other side!

Would Democrats do things that would come back and bite them in the ass?

Ask Harry Reid and his stupid usage of the Nuclear Option!

Once in awhile you have to just say “ Hey I said no to Obama, so maybe we should also say no to Trump until the election is over! “...

Now notice something I wrote until the election is over and not until Trump leaves office and if Trump loses his parting gift can be the nomination and confirmation of his last Justice!

Nothing in the Constitution prevent that but let get this mess of a damn election over and then nominate and confirm the Justice!

So unfair!

Trump can and should...

No, neither side should act that way and yes the past does matter!

Funny how the past does not matter anymore when it is Trump picking but would you feel the same had it been Clinton?

Of course not!

It just shows the willingness to be hypocrites and throwing away integrity just because you want to stick it to the other side!

Would Democrats do things that would come back and bite them in the ass?

Ask Harry Reid and his stupid usage of the Nuclear Option!

Once in awhile you have to just say “ Hey I said no to Obama, so maybe we should also say no to Trump until the election is over! “...

Now notice something I wrote until the election is over and not until Trump leaves office and if Trump loses his parting gift can be the nomination and confirmation of his last Justice!

Nothing in the Constitution prevent that but let get this mess of a damn election over and then nominate and confirm the Justice!
I have actually disliked nominees by the left in the past, but I have NEVER said they could not conduct business because of past statements. I never will.

The truth is, if the roles were reversed, the Democrats would have already confirmed a nominee and as I said, they would have just ignored what anyone else was saying.

The Democrats do what they want when they have the power to do it. The GOP should be no different until the left learns to compromise.

neverForget.jpg

OP and that don't get it. PROGS are progressive and progressive means changing your mind for the better good of a progressive society

So unfair!

Trump can and should...

If McConnell had not made such an issue back in 2016 it wouldn't be an issue now....
ROFLMFAO ROFLMFAO ROFLMFAO
Yeah, ok

Nancy told Americans the only way civility and normalcy would return
was by putting Democrats back in power...that's how they got the House back
Americans see they got it right in '16

He should do it and let them impeach him again

Forum List

Back