If All Of Us Kept The Tenth Commandment Big Business and Indeed Capitalism Would Fail

Melvin01

Rookie
Mar 4, 2013
Marietta, GA
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.”

LOL......everybody in America has been trying to outdo the family down the street all my life! 'Course I'm just 78.

That's basically the Judeo-Christian admonition against GREED.

Its fairly obvious that that particular commandment isn't commonly respected in this society or for that matter in many (any?) others.

Hell we have people here who think GREED IS GOOD who also call themselves Christians.

• Banned

Its fairly obvious that that particular commandment isn't commonly respected in this society or for that matter in many (any?) others.

Hell we have people here who think GREED IS GOOD who also call themselves Christians.

Oh I called myself a Christian from the early days of my life until I was over 60 years old. I began reading about all religions while I was still in high school. I was baptized before a congregation of more than 900 on a Sunday morning in 1957. I had most of the new testament memorized chapter and verse while I was still in my twenties. I worked in the church more than 90% of the members and we tithed our gross during all those years. After teaching adult Sunday school, being in the brotherhood, visiting the sick, working with our youth, serving on the building committee, giving testimony in nearby towns, conducting retreats, substituting for ushers, etc. I gave it up. I never believed a one of all those undocumented miracles and on Sunday mornings I used to look around the sanctuary and wonder how many others doubted the way I did. Brainwashing of infants and small children is the only thing which has kept that malarky alive for 2000 years and thanks to social media the young people are dropping it by the millions.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.”

LOL......everybody in America has been trying to outdo the family down the street all my life! 'Course I'm just 78.

Apples and oranges.

Wanting to succeed in business, wanting to earn a living by your own worth, value, and hard work has nothing at all to do with covetousness.

Wanting to succeed doesn't mean wanting what your neighbor has.

How many of your neighbors are you taking care of? you pay their rent, buy their food, etc etc

so now trying to improve ones life is a bad thing

you really are campell, aren't you?

Last edited:
  • Banned

Apples and oranges.

Wanting to succeed in business, wanting to earn a living by your own worth, value, and hard work has nothing at all to do with covetousness.

I was sure you and Jesus would know the answer.

Apples and oranges.

I was sure you and Jesus would know the answer.

We both know you are an idiot.

You think I'm some sort of Right Wing Christian? You think that was some sort of insult to me? You have a lot to learn Bozo.

• Banned

Apples and oranges.

Turn The Other Cheek, Walk The Extra Mile, Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You, Love Thy Neighbor, Love Thine Enemies, Pray For Those Who Curse And Despise You, If Sued In Court For Coat Voluntarily Give Cloak, Sell What You Have And Give It To The Poor etc.? Don't forget "Be Ye Therefore Perfect Even As The Father In Heaven Is Perfect."

Just to try to factor in a little sanity to any discussion which comes from the old testament these are the 42 death penalty sins....the only thing they left out was fartin' at the dinner table:

Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
2:15,19.
Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.

Last edited:

Apples and oranges.

Turn The Other Cheek, Walk The Extra Mile, Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You, Love Thy Neighbor, Love Thine Enemies, Pray For Those Who Curse And Despise You, If Sued In Court For Coat Voluntarily Give Cloak, Sell What You Have And Give It To The Poor etc.? Don't forget "Be Ye Therefore Perfect Even As The Father In Heaven Is Perfect."

Just to try to factor in a little sanity to any discussion which comes from the old testament these are the 42 death penalty sins....the only thing they left out was fartin' at the dinner table:

WTF does any of that have to do with Big Business and/or Capitalism?

Nothing.

Fail.

Apples and oranges.

Nothing.

Fail.

Everything......I started out about the tenth commandment which is foolishness from the old testament and just now showed you what a totally rediculous crock of shit is in the old testament.

Oh I called myself a Christian from the early days of my life until I was over 60 years old. I began reading about all religions while I was still in high school. I was baptized before a congregation of more than 900 on a Sunday morning in 1957. I had most of the new testament memorized chapter and verse while I was still in my twenties. I worked in the church more than 90% of the members and we tithed our gross during all those years. After teaching adult Sunday school, being in the brotherhood, visiting the sick, working with our youth, serving on the building committee, giving testimony in nearby towns, conducting retreats, substituting for ushers, etc. I gave it up. I never believed a one of all those undocumented miracles and on Sunday mornings I used to look around the sanctuary and wonder how many others doubted the way I did. Brainwashing of infants and small children is the only thing which has kept that malarky alive for 2000 years and thanks to social media the young people are dropping it by the millions.

Yup, i was right. How ya doing Cammmpbell?
I knew I'd heard these stories before. Changing your name doesn't make you any less a fool.......

I knew I'd heard these stories before. Changing your name doesn't make you any less a fool.......

don't know how long he thought he could hide
figured it out a while ago

Nothing.

Fail.

Everything......I started out about the tenth commandment which is foolishness from the old testament and just now showed you what a totally rediculous crock of shit is in the old testament.

Are you nuts?

First, you claimed that the 10th would eliminate Big Business and capitalism, which it won't.
Second you start quoting random bible passages and now claim you point is something different but still applies to Big Business and Capitalism.

What does any of it have to do with Capitalism, and "everything" is not an answer.

Hell....after years and hundreds of posts they banned ol' Cammpbell. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. You know what? I've been in no less than 50-60 boards or forums since 1994. I'm accustomed to being banned.

I have three other discussions minimized to my toolbar right now. I really feel threatnened.

Hell....after years and hundreds of posts they banned ol' Cammpbell. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. You know what? I've been in no less than 50-60 boards or forums since 1994. I'm accustomed to being banned.

I have three other discussions minimized to me toolbar right now. I really feel threatnened.

Ah! Banning. That explains it.

I have three other discussions minimized to me toolbar right now. I really feel threatnened.

Ah! Banning. That explains it.

It also explains why I don't give a phiddler's phuck

So you are trying to argue that if people ceased to be covetous they would no longer work to trade their goods and services with others for their mutual benefit?

And you should speak for yourself. I havent been trying to outdo anyone. If my neighbor generates more wealth, it doesn't bother me. I wish him/her well. In fact, chances are it will eventually help me because it creates more wealth in the economy. And the more wealth there is, the more chance of it ends up in my bank account.

I guess that's the difference between you and I. When my neighbor succeeds at providing goods and services to other in a way where they can provide a mutually beneficial transaction, I think it's a good thing.

Forum List

Back