I Think Some People Need to Remember Exactly What It Was Like During Trump

So you weren't harmed in any way. Got it.
Why is an immigrant in America hired for a job dealing with Americans when she can’t speak English, and a native-born American is NOT hired because she can’t speak Spanish?

Why should Americans miss out on job opportunities because immigrants won’t learn English?

It USED to be everyone’s experience, and you know why? Because school was taught in English.
Lisa, I adore you, but you're doing what demofks like to do, you are taking something and making it everything. Yes, English has always been taught in america schools. But it doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with bilingual objectives in homes of immigrants. Just doesn't. There are many factors that would come into play. Grandparents living with families of immigrants happened, all, fk if I know. I won't generalize to everyone. avoid making the generalization.

Lisa, I adore you, but you're doing what demofks like to do, you are taking something and making it everything. Yes, English has always been taught in america schools. But it doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with bilingual objectives in homes of immigrants. Just doesn't. There are many factors that would come into play. Grandparents living with families of immigrants happened, all, fk if I know. I won't generalize to everyone. avoid making the generalization.
I like you too.

But the poster said it took two or three generations until English becomes the primary language spoken in the house. All it takes is ONE, or was until we started having to speak to immigrants in THEIR foreign language.

Immigrant generation: Speaks the foreign language, and learns basic English in order to be able to survive in this country. (How it used to be, which was good.)

1st Generation: Speaks English fluently, learned within a few months, if the immigrant parents speaks the foreign language at home. 1st Generation grows up and forms own household, speaking English exclusively.

The poster said it require two or three generations. If so, that’s because that family chose that way. Their choice. Doesn’t mean it HAS to.

I like you too.

But the poster said it took two or three generations until English becomes the primary language spoken in the house. All it takes is ONE, or was until we started having to speak to immigrants in THEIR foreign language.

Immigrant generation: Speaks the foreign language, and learns basic English in order to be able to survive in this country. (How it used to be, which was good.)

1st Generation: Speaks English fluently, learned within a few months, if the immigrant parents speaks the foreign language at home. 1st Generation grows up and forms own household, speaking English exclusively.

The poster said it require two or three generations. If so, that’s because that family chose that way. Their choice. Doesn’t mean it HAS to.
I’ll agree to disagree

Why is an immigrant in America hired for a job dealing with Americans when she can’t speak English, and a native-born American is NOT hired because she can’t speak Spanish? ....?
You don't know if that waitress "can't speak English" (quite the contrary), or that anyone else lost out on the job (for any reason) because she was hired.

No one learns a language "in a few months," no matter what family myths one clings to.

Fence-S.jpg

He is.

Why is an immigrant in America hired for a job dealing with Americans when she can’t speak English, and a native-born American is NOT hired because she can’t speak Spanish?

Why should Americans miss out on job opportunities because immigrants won’t learn English?

Because private companies have the right to hire whoever they want, within the law.

The family or individual that immigrates to America is the first generation.

Children they give birth to in America are then the second generation.

The children of the second generation are the third generation, and so on.

Second generation immigrants frequently marry outside the family heritage, further hastening the process of adopting English as the primary form of communication in the home.

By the third generation, marrying within the family heritage usually ceases to be a matter of particular interest to the family. That's just the nature of America.

You don't know if that waitress "can't speak English" (quite the contrary), or that anyone else lost out on the job (for any reason) because she was hired.
Of course she couldn’t. She addressed me in Spanish, I told her I spoke English (expecting her to switch over), and she had to find the English-speaking waitress. That is unacceptable in an American restaurant, in a big East Coast city.

Forum List

Back