I think my years doing my current job are more limited than i want to admit to

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Roughly 32 years swinging a hammer and it's catching up to me. My current job took me 2 days on a jackhammer to clear out one large bathroom floor and I still have 2 to go. Woke up this morning and my back hurt so bad that I skipped the final demo on the other two bathrooms today. Instead I focused on framing in the new lay out in the master bath.

If anyone has a NON NARCOTIC remedy for back pain please share. Up to this point I've just been using Epsom Salt in the tub every few days.

Most men can only jackhammer so long before we get fatigued. It's a job left to younger men.

But, any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory NSAID, would be good for muscle pain.

Ask your druggist for any OTC containing copious amounts of diclofenic acid (the generic name). Various brand names include Voltaren, Catflam, or Zipsor.

I've been doing it 41 years and I feel ya. When my back hurts not even the hard shit helps. Sciatica is the devil.

I've been doing it 41 years and I feel ya. When my back hurts not even the hard shit helps. Sciatica is the devil.

This is where being a bookish nerd for 60 years has paid off... I don't have back pain, or bad knees.

I noticed that in a lot of your work site pictures you're wearing flat sneakers.

A lot of times back problems are a consequence of poor foot support. Messes up your posture and whatnot. Then you end up working against your back.

This is where being a bookish nerd for 60 years has paid off... I don't have back pain, or bad knees.
I'm still in good shape for a big guy nearly 60. Considering how badly I treat myself it's a miracle.

I use Muscle relaxers if the block of ice on the small of the back while arched doesnt work

I am still framing, climbing in trusses, and laying plywood on impossibly steep pitched roofs in my mid 50's.
While my body protests, at the same time I am in far better physical shape than any of my old buddies who have less physically demanding jobs.

Weed in the evening helps kill the pain.

I noticed that in a lot of your work site pictures you're wearing flat sneakers.

A lot of times back problems are a consequence of poor foot support. Messes up your posture and whatnot. Then you end up working against your back.
I've tried wearing good work boots but because I spend so much time on my knees too they just don't work. I gotta have that flexibility in my ankles to sustain long periods on my knees. Sadly as a result I blow out my shoes every month or so.

I am still framing, climbing in trusses, and laying plywood on impossibly steep pitched roofs in my mid 50's.
While my body protests, at the same time I am in far better physical shape than any of my old buddies who have less physically demanding jobs.

Weed in the evening helps kill the pain.
I gave up pot decades ago and will never use it again.
Typically I have 2 or 3 drinks with dinner when the pain is bad and it does help but it's only masking the pain for a couple hours.

Roughly 32 years swinging a hammer and it's catching up to me. My current job took me 2 days on a jackhammer to clear out one large bathroom floor and I still have 2 to go. Woke up this morning and my back hurt so bad that I skipped the final demo on the other two bathrooms today. Instead I focused on framing in the new lay out in the master bath.

If anyone has a NON NARCOTIC remedy for back pain please share. Up to this point I've just been using Epsom Salt in the tub every few days.

Sorry to hear this. I wrote a longer post but didn't want to discourage you reading due to the length.

In short, NSAID will work in particular if you have inflammation. In my experiences, since I avoid NSAID due to uclers; I find stretching, movement of my back area to get blood flow and nutrients there, strengthening the back (when healthy of course, and with doctors approval, for any of these solutions really), simple stretches (reaching for the sky, reaching out and pivoting my back etc), and yes, yoga.

That has worked for me. My chronic back problems have been gone for some time. I do these now during any particular incidents. It's almost counter productive, but resting my back has extended the pain. Invoking simple, small movements has helped speed up my recovery.

I had a mysterious back and arm pain at the beginning of the year, I was prescribed a message & physical therapist by the doc. . . after my appoints ran out, she gave me exercises to do at home, they have helped.

I recommend a message and physical therapist. If your healthcare won't cover one. . . there are plenty of independents out there, I'm sure they will bring you, if not relief, at least a distraction . . . . . :auiqs.jpg:

51xKKt9LsaL.jpg
happy_ending_3468375.jpg
12924ST.jpg
oxd1exG.png

I heard Clorox does wonders

I had my first really bad back ache a while ago. Laying down in bed hurt like Hell.

The only thing that worked was mild exercise to strengthen the muscles.

Sorry to hear this. I wrote a longer post but didn't want to discourage you reading due to the length.

In short, NSAID will work in particular if you have inflammation. In my experiences, since I avoid NSAID due to uclers; I find stretching, movement of my back area to get blood flow and nutrients there, strengthening the back (when healthy of course, and with doctors approval, for any of these solutions really), simple stretches (reaching for the sky, reaching out and pivoting my back etc), and yes, yoga.

That has worked for me. My chronic back problems have been gone for some time. I do these now during any particular incidents. It's almost counter productive, but resting my back has extended the pain. Invoking simple, small movements has helped speed up my recovery.

You're talking about Torodol...

I gave up pot decades ago and will never use it again.
Typically I have 2 or 3 drinks with dinner when the pain is bad and it does help but it's only masking the pain for a couple hours.
What works for some doesn't for others.
Not much of a drinker the last few years. Although we tear it up about once a month.

Couple winters ago broke a couple ribs at the jobsite slipping on ice, on the freaking ground of all places. Once in a while it still bothers me.

I've tried wearing good work boots but because I spend so much time on my knees too they just don't work. I gotta have that flexibility in my ankles to sustain long periods on my knees. Sadly as a result I blow out my shoes every month or so.
That probably does have a lot to do with it, though.

Anyway. Something that might help is to sleep on the floor. It works.

One of my achievements was never taking on tasks I could not accomplish.

Best wishes.

Forum List

Back