I really don't get the backlash over E-Cigs.

Was listening to a radio ad on the drive into work, and It was a cancer hospital ragging on E-Cigs, saying that people thinking they are safer than cigarettes is wrong.

To me that is an outright falsehood. Are they safer than not smoking at all? Of course not. But is there any question they are safer than actual Cigarette smoking?

E-Cigs eliminate combustion products and all the gunk that can clog up your lungs. True, you still get nicotine and some other volatile substances, but considering the reduction in the other compounds, how COULD e-cigs be "just as dangerous"

They have improved on cigarettes, taken out a major health concern when it comes to nicotine use, and the pols and advocates are railing against them just as if they still WERE cigarettes.

What gives?
Not interested.

E-joints are the thing!!!

Hash oil vapes have such great potential once legalization is widespread.
Same delivery instrument, different fluid. am I wrong?
Yes.

I just can't wait until they are legal everywhere, and cheaper.

Was listening to a radio ad on the drive into work, and It was a cancer hospital ragging on E-Cigs, saying that people thinking they are safer than cigarettes is wrong.

To me that is an outright falsehood. Are they safer than not smoking at all? Of course not. But is there any question they are safer than actual Cigarette smoking?

E-Cigs eliminate combustion products and all the gunk that can clog up your lungs. True, you still get nicotine and some other volatile substances, but considering the reduction in the other compounds, how COULD e-cigs be "just as dangerous"

They have improved on cigarettes, taken out a major health concern when it comes to nicotine use, and the pols and advocates are railing against them just as if they still WERE cigarettes.

What gives?

Same reason anti-smoking forces got candy and bubblegum "cogarettes" yanked off the market. Anything that looks like smoking is to be banned. The incremental banning and restricting of smoking is an incremental way to get all tobacco use in any form banned. Can't do it all at once without people raising hell about it. But if you do it a bit at a time you'll likely succeed. It's the 'drop a frog into a pot of boiling water thing.'
Frogs being "fundamentally transformed" a few degrees at a time, and not feeling a thing.

What gives?

The anti-smoking lobby seems to be against the act of enjoying tobacco and/or nicotine. The method of delivery doesn't seem to matter to them as we just saw here in Nixa, Missouri recently when a ban on smoking in public parks was implemented. Cigs, cigars, pipes, AND E-CIGS were banned. In other words, they don't care if the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor, they're against any appearence of smoking regardless of whether or not it's actually harmful to nearby people.

Oh ya, and they banned chewing tobacco too. While spitting is visually disgusting, to claim it's somehow harmful to others is a tough sell. Especially since most chewers spit into a bottle or other receptacle wishing to be as polite as possible.
It is a vile, poisonous plant.

Smoking it is terrible for you.

Weed is non-toxic, and there are no-stone varieties that could replace tobacco, without the harm of the nicotine.

Best things I ever did were quitting smoking and drinking.

What gives?

The anti-smoking lobby seems to be against the act of enjoying tobacco and/or nicotine. The method of delivery doesn't seem to matter to them as we just saw here in Nixa, Missouri recently when a ban on smoking in public parks was implemented. Cigs, cigars, pipes, AND E-CIGS were banned. In other words, they don't care if the "smoke" from an e-cig is just water vapor, they're against any appearence of smoking regardless of whether or not it's actually harmful to nearby people.

Oh ya, and they banned chewing tobacco too. While spitting is visually disgusting, to claim it's somehow harmful to others is a tough sell. Especially since most chewers spit into a bottle or other receptacle wishing to be as polite as possible.

Weed is non-toxic, and there are no-stone varieties that could replace tobacco, without the harm of the nicotine.

Tobacco use actually has a few benefits. Cigarettes, because of all the extra crap in them are unhealthy. But not all smoking is of cigarettes. Plus, if Einstein enjoyed a pipe that's good enough for me :)

"Einstein loved to smoke. As he walked between his house and his office at Princeton, one could often see him followed by a trail of smoke. Nearly as part of his image as his wild hair and baggy clothes was Einstein clutching his trusty briar pipe. In 1950, Einstein is noted as saying, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs," Although he favored pipes, Einstein was not one to turn down a cigar or even a cigarette."
10 Things You Don t Know About Albert Einstein

"Smoking lowers risk of Parkinson's disease

Numerous studies have identified the uncanny inverse relationship between smoking and Parkinson's disease. Long-term smokers are somehow protected against Parkinson's, and it's not because smokers die of other things earlier.

Smoking lowers risk of obesity

Smoking — and, in particular, the nicotine in tobacco smoke — is an appetite suppressant. This has been known for centuries, dating back to indigenous cultures in America in the pre-Columbus era. Tobacco companies caught on by the 1920s and began targeting women with the lure that smoking would make them thinner."
5 Health Benefits of Smoking Long-Term Smoking Heart Attacks Smoking Lowers Parkinson s Disease Risk

"A series of very interesting studies from multiple academic sources confirms that the risk of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease is surprisingly higher in non-smokers than in smokers. Doctor Laura Fratiglioni of Huddinge University Hospital in Sweden states, "Cigarette smokers are 50% less likely to have PD or AD than are age and gender-matched nonsmokers [...] cigarette smoking exerts an undefined, biologic, neuroprotective influence against the development of PD and AD." "
Health Benefits of Smoking Tobacco -- Health Wellness -- Sott.net

What gives?

The nicotine itself is no big deal. It's all the combustion by products that kill you

What gives?

The nicotine itself is no big deal. It's all the combustion by products that kill you

You can kill bugs with chewing tobacco tea.

I think nicotine itself is known to have a fatal toxicity level.

Don't think THC does.

What gives?

Don't think THC does.

Nicotine does have a fatal level, but so do things like caffeine. To say nothing of pure H2O. Drink too much water too quickly and it disrupts cellular functioning resulting in death.

What gives?

Don't think THC does.

Every drug has a toxic dose. The only way to determine the toxicity of THC is to administer pure THC in varying doses. And the only time I have ever heard of nicotine being fatal is when large doses of pure liquid nicotine were taken And chewing tobacco is not just nicotine

The only e-cig I'm familiar with has only glycerin and nicotine in it and I have no idea what the effect of inhaling glycerine is.

As with just about everything, my opinion is that as long as they don't force others to inhale it, what adults choose to do is their business.

That's the next fight. Some anti-smoking people are saying the exhaled vapor is just as dangerous as combustion products, which is basically impossible.

There are little E cig stores opening all over. Id want to know exactly what chemicals are in them ( if any)
Do they really help people quit real cigs or is it just switching habits.

The only e-cig I'm familiar with has only glycerin and nicotine in it and I have no idea what the effect of inhaling glycerine is.

As with just about everything, my opinion is that as long as they don't force others to inhale it, what adults choose to do is their business.
...until they go into the hospital on medicare/medicaid like ayn rand did for smoking. Then we're paying for their bad life choices.

Besides, many of the equipment and glycerin modules come from our friends in china. You know, the one's who added melamine to baby formula? Those people.

Last edited:

That's the next fight. Some anti-smoking people are saying the exhaled vapor is just as dangerous as combustion products, which is basically impossible.

There are little E cig stores opening all over. Id want to know exactly what chemicals are in them ( if any)

It's the same nicotine habit minus the inhalation of the deadly combustion by products

Yes

I have never smoked real cigs and I hate second hand smoke. I've been around people smoking e-cigs. The second hand vapors were not an issue with me. I can't definitively say that second hand vapors from e-cigs pose no danger whatsoever, but i doubt that it could be any more of a problem than air fresheners, cleaners such as Lysol, or perfumes that people wear.

Note: people don't smoke e-cigs, they vape them.

Your quibbling technical point is noted i.e. vaping vs. smoking. :clap:

It's the main point.

And yet you support politicians who believe the exact opposite.

What gives?

We won't know for another 20 to 30 years if they pose any long term health problems. From what I know about them, it does seem they are a better alternative to smoking actual cigarettes. What bothers me though, is that I see more and more young kids smoking these, and I have the impression that we are going to see smoking rates actually increase because of E-cigs.

What gives?

We won't know for another 20 to 30 years if they pose any long term health problems. From what I know about them, it does seem they are a better alternative to smoking actual cigarettes. What bothers me though, is that I see more and more young kids smoking these, and I have the impression that we are going to see smoking rates actually increase because of E-cigs.

Just because they might causes some issues to some people 30 years down the road is no reason to ban them. If that is the metric used, then its time to ban alcohol, fried chicken, and all fast food resturants.

We know that most of the problems caused by cigarettes are due to the combustion products created when smoking them. Eliminating said combustion products makes a safer product. Nicotine still probably causes damage to the body, but more than ethanol, caffeine, or unhealthy foods?

The anti-smoking people don't like this because at heart, they are prohibitionists. They felt the pendulum swing in their favor, and all of a sudden E-cigs are stealing their thunder.

Thye biggest problem with e-cigs is that you look stupid smoking one

Forum List

Back