‘I Love Beto More Than I Hate Ted Cruz’

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i'm slobbering all over this piece

excerpt:

“Can we clone him?” asked Dora Oaxaca, chair of the Democratic Party in El Paso County, of O’Rourke. She called him “the wind beneath the Democratic Party.” Julie Oliver, the former congressional candidate who twice ran unsuccessfully to flip a Republican-held House seat around Austin, said O’Rourke “might be the only person who could unseat [Greg] Abbott, honestly.” Jeff Travillion, a county commissioner in Travis County, Texas, said “he’s probably the best-known name that people associate with taking care of the little guy.” From the chair of the state Democratic Party down, Democrats in Texas have been lobbying O’Rourke to run for governor next year against Abbott, the Republican incumbent.

For O’Rourke himself, the calculus is simple but brutal: Every loss is a dent in his reputation as the future of Texas politics

O’Rourke is the closest thing to a star in Texas Democratic politics, a tall and expressive former congressman from El Paso who built his reputation on a Kennedyesque ability to excite a crowd and an almost theatrically grassroots approach to retail politics

I'm hoping when Texas redraws it's congressional district lines he will be in my district so I can vote against him. I think he's just a younger Joe Biden, and that is not a compliment.

• Banned
more excerpts:

During the July march for voting rights, which wound from Georgetown, Texas, to the state capitol in Austin, about 125 clergypeople and activists walking two and three abreast hoisted banners and sang freedom songs on the scalding pavement of the frontage roads along Interstate 35. They said things about O’Rourke like, “He’s a beacon,” “He’s like a Kennedy,” “He’s got his heart in it,” and “I love him more than I hate Ted Cruz.”

Gavin Rogers, a minister from San Antonio who was wearing a white robe and maroon Vans, said that sometimes “the best thing to do might be run and lose, if it’s best for the movement.” And when the march reached the capitol for a rally with country music icon Willie Nelson, O’Rourke looked out at a lawn specked with supporters still wearing “Be Beto” and “Beto for Texas” T-shirts from his previous campaigns. Near the front of the crowd, a woman in a sundress with a white, wide-brimmed hat, waved a homemade “Beto for Governor” sign.

Robin Rather, an environmentalist in Austin who saw O’Rourke before the rally with Willie Nelson last month, said, “I thought he was unbearably punk-angst after he lost the Senate race.” Rather, the daughter of the journalist Dan Rather, said, “He lost a lot of credibility with me because he was emoting all over the place.”

The difference from late 2018 and early 2019 is that O’Rourke is not, as Rather put it, “emoting” nearly as much. He is still ubiquitous, but is behaving in some significant ways like a more traditional political organizer. His organization, Powered by People, said it helped register some 200,000 Texans to vote during the general election last year, and O’Rourke’s Instagram brims with photographs of him standing beside people he registers himself. In June, O’Rourke held voting rights town halls in 17 cities across the state. Most recently, his group raised about $730,000 to help Texas Democratic lawmakers physically leave the state, breaking a quorum in the legislature and at least delaying passage of a restrictive voting bill. Last week, he went to Facebook Live to launch a program in which Powered by People will drive to people’s homes to register them to vote if they call and ask.

Adler said, “His PAC is everywhere, and his messaging is everywhere, and his organizing is everywhere.”

Trump beat Biden by nearly 6 percentage points in Texas, and Republican Sen. John Cornyn won re-election by almost 10. Democrats, after picking up 12 state House seats in 2018, failed to make gains in the downballot races. Rather than celebrating progress, Democrats nationally saw in Texas a worrisome sign: Perhaps America’s changing demography wouldn’t automatically float them into power. In the heavily Latino Rio Grande Valley, for instance, Trump over-performed.

The results also darkened the outlook for O’Rourke’s political future. “He’s young, but he’s in a super tough state,” said Matt Bennett of the center-left group Third Way. “Where do you go if the statewide races are impossible, no matter how good you are?”

E-Tf7xUXIAgrAII

more excerpts:

During the July march for voting rights, which wound from Georgetown, Texas, to the state capitol in Austin, about 125 clergypeople and activists walking two and three abreast hoisted banners and sang freedom songs on the scalding pavement of the frontage roads along Interstate 35. They said things about O’Rourke like, “He’s a beacon,” “He’s like a Kennedy,” “He’s got his heart in it,” and “I love him more than I hate Ted Cruz.”

Gavin Rogers, a minister from San Antonio who was wearing a white robe and maroon Vans, said that sometimes “the best thing to do might be run and lose, if it’s best for the movement.” And when the march reached the capitol for a rally with country music icon Willie Nelson, O’Rourke looked out at a lawn specked with supporters still wearing “Be Beto” and “Beto for Texas” T-shirts from his previous campaigns. Near the front of the crowd, a woman in a sundress with a white, wide-brimmed hat, waved a homemade “Beto for Governor” sign.

Robin Rather, an environmentalist in Austin who saw O’Rourke before the rally with Willie Nelson last month, said, “I thought he was unbearably punk-angst after he lost the Senate race.” Rather, the daughter of the journalist Dan Rather, said, “He lost a lot of credibility with me because he was emoting all over the place.”

The difference from late 2018 and early 2019 is that O’Rourke is not, as Rather put it, “emoting” nearly as much. He is still ubiquitous, but is behaving in some significant ways like a more traditional political organizer. His organization, Powered by People, said it helped register some 200,000 Texans to vote during the general election last year, and O’Rourke’s Instagram brims with photographs of him standing beside people he registers himself. In June, O’Rourke held voting rights town halls in 17 cities across the state. Most recently, his group raised about $730,000 to help Texas Democratic lawmakers physically leave the state, breaking a quorum in the legislature and at least delaying passage of a restrictive voting bill. Last week, he went to Facebook Live to launch a program in which Powered by People will drive to people’s homes to register them to vote if they call and ask.

Adler said, “His PAC is everywhere, and his messaging is everywhere, and his organizing is everywhere.”

Trump beat Biden by nearly 6 percentage points in Texas, and Republican Sen. John Cornyn won re-election by almost 10. Democrats, after picking up 12 state House seats in 2018, failed to make gains in the downballot races. Rather than celebrating progress, Democrats nationally saw in Texas a worrisome sign: Perhaps America’s changing demography wouldn’t automatically float them into power. In the heavily Latino Rio Grande Valley, for instance, Trump over-performed.

The results also darkened the outlook for O’Rourke’s political future. “He’s young, but he’s in a super tough state,” said Matt Bennett of the center-left group Third Way. “Where do you go if the statewide races are impossible, no matter how good you are?”

E-Tf7xUXIAgrAII
Even here in the great State of Texas we have an overabundance of nitwits, halfwits, twits, twats, goobers, and parasites. This is amply exhibited by those in the above attached article and picture.

Love and hate are emotions I don't have for either politician.

One is less of an asshole than the other, imho.

more excerpts:

E-Tf7xUXIAgrAII
If and when Progs take over Texas, the game is over for the nation or there will be violence. The cities in our nation are to little in territory to have control over the vastness of states.

Might I suggest California? New York? Illinois? Pick any blue state and don't let the state line hit you in the ass on the way out.

Might I suggest California? New York? Illinois? Pick any blue state and don't let the state line hit you in the ass on the way out.
he can't just move to another state! what he is he Hillary? or a Kennedy? well, there are those Kennedy comparisons!

excerpt:

“Can we clone him?” asked Dora Oaxaca, chair of the Democratic Party in El Paso County, of O’Rourke. She called him “the wind beneath the Democratic Party.” Julie Oliver, the former congressional candidate who twice ran unsuccessfully to flip a Republican-held House seat around Austin, said O’Rourke “might be the only person who could unseat [Greg] Abbott, honestly.” Jeff Travillion, a county commissioner in Travis County, Texas, said “he’s probably the best-known name that people associate with taking care of the little guy.” From the chair of the state Democratic Party down, Democrats in Texas have been lobbying O’Rourke to run for governor next year against Abbott, the Republican incumbent.

For O’Rourke himself, the calculus is simple but brutal: Every loss is a dent in his reputation as the future of Texas politics

O’Rourke is the closest thing to a star in Texas Democratic politics, a tall and expressive former congressman from El Paso who built his reputation on a Kennedyesque ability to excite a crowd and an almost theatrically grassroots approach to retail politics

Beta is history, even xiden didn't give him the promised job. Commies should realize the dumb ass is toxic.

excerpt:

“Hell yes, we’re going to take away your AR-15, your AK-47” Beto O’Rourke
In Texas ? Good luck with that shit.

Forum List

Back