I know I was probably scammed, but.......

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
... I gave the dude ten bucks.

I had just bought groceries, and I was loading them into my truck and a man approached me carrying an index card with some writing on it. My first thought was that he was going to tell me about Jesus. My next thought was that he might be a deft mute because on occasion I've bought the little American Flag stickers they sometimes sell. It was neither. He handed me the index card. I don't remember exactly what was written on it, but it was something about trying to support his family including 6 kids. He said something to me that sounded like broken English and the only word I made out was "Ukraine".

I find it very unlikely that he just arrived in my area, South Carolina, from Ukraine. And if he had somehow managed somehow to get here from Ukraine, It is more than likely that would mean there would already be people helping him That being said, whenever someone approaches me asking for help, I usually donate a few dollars on the slim chance the need may be legit.

A few seconds later as I was leaving the parking lot, I looked to see if the man was approaching anyone else, but I didn't see him.

Last edited:
Sad that he would exploit the tragedy in Ukraine to extort cash from strangers

The guy was hustling. Maybe he’s a good guy doing what he has to do get his fix. That’s the most likely scenario. He could be a totally doucebag too. You never know until you walk in their shoes.

I had just bought groceries, and I was loading them into my truck and a man approached me carrying an index card with some writing on it. My first thought was that he was going to tell me about Jesus. My next thought was that he might be a deft mute because on occasion I've bought the little American Flag stickers they sometimes sell. It was neither. He handed me the index card. I don't remember exactly what was written on it, but it was something about trying to support his family including 6 kids. He said something to me that sounded like broken English and the only word I made out was "Ukraine".

I find it very unlikely that he just arrived in my area, South Carolina, from Ukraine. And if he had somehow managed somehow to get here from Ukraine, It is more than likely that would mean there would already be people helping him That being said, whenever someone approaches me asking for help, I usually donate a few dollars on the slim change the need may be legit.

A few seconds later as I was leaving the parking lot, I looked to see if the man was approaching anyone else, but I didn't see him.

You were scammed and some homeless guy who thought "Ukraine" would make good story, rustled up enough money to buy a rock of crack cocaine tonight.

How much did you give him? I have a strict personal policy: If I'm going to give some money to a homeless person, the least they could do is give me one good hit off their crack pipe.

I find it very unlikely that he just arrived in my area, South Carolina, from Ukraine. And if he had somehow managed somehow to get here from Ukraine, It is more than likely that would mean there would already be people helping him That being said, whenever someone approaches me asking for help, I usually donate a few dollars on the slim chance the need may be legit.

You did what you did from a good place, it's between him and God now.

Does it really matter if you bought them a box of Uncle Ben's rice, some cheap liquor, or some meth? You helped someone who needed help whether it was with food or something else.

If you really want some fun, buy yourself 5 or six pints of cheap vodka and drive around town. Every time you see a person begging at the street corner, pull up, roll down the window, hand them a pint, and say "I bet you can't kill this bottle."

Then go home later in the day, turn on the police scanner, and listen to the hilarity.

Yeah, I have a warped sense of humor. But it's more fun than hanging out at the emergency room of a hospital, watching the ambulances bring people in at 3 in the morning.

I will never miss the 10 bucks I gave him. And at lease he didn't pull a gun on someone to get it.

Never trust those people. It's only a short hop, step, and a jump to that person climbing in the car and robbing you at knife point. Homeless people generally don't have guns, but many of them do carry knives. Trust me: I've rubbed elbows with more than my share of homeless people, crack heads, and crack whores who show up at your door at 3 AM with a piece of crack rock in their hand just to get you started, which afterwards you'd spend every dime you had.

I've done some shit in my long years that I'm not particularly proud of. But my personal policy these days is to tell them to "fuck off." I don't care if I'm walking down the sidewalk and someone wants to "bum" a cigarette from me, the answer is the same: "Go fuck yourself." And if they get indignant, I make damned sure they know that I'm carrying a 9mm Glock under my coat or shirt.

You were scammed and some homeless guy who thought "Ukraine" would make good story, rustled up enough money to buy a rock of crack cocaine tonight.

How much did you give him? I have a strict personal policy: If I'm going to give some money to a homeless person, the least they could do is give me one good hit off their crack pipe.
Some years ago, my wife was approached in a grocery store parking lot by a guy who had a sob story. She reached into one of her bags and gave the guy a couple cans of food. She watched him as he walked toward the front of the store and dropped the cans in the garbage can at the front of the store. SMH.

Personally speaking you really ought to stop that. BUT, you have a good heart. God knows that so whatever that guy is doing that is totally different than what he told you is the one God will hold responsible. NOT you.

But God also says. Be gentle as doves but wise as snakes.

I often err on the side of caution and assume that the person really needs help. If it's a scam, I'm out a few bucks. If not, then it goes a long way.

There is the possibility that the guy to whom you gave money went and got a bottle of booze or a crack rock. There is also the possibility that you fed him and his family. Either way you alleviated his temporary suffering. I see no problem with what you did.

I often err on the side of caution and assume that the person really needs help. If it's a scam, I'm out a few bucks. If not, then it goes a long way.
That is how I think about it. And for me it happens so rarely that it's not a problem.

I had just bought groceries, and I was loading them into my truck and a man approached me carrying an index card with some writing on it. My first thought was that he was going to tell me about Jesus. My next thought was that he might be a homdeft mute because on occasion I've bought the little American Flag stickers they sometimes sell. It was neither. He handed me the index card. I don't remember exactly what was written on it, but it was something about trying to support his family including 6 kids. He said something to me that sounded like broken English and the only word I made out was "Ukraine".

I occasionally give 5 bucks to homeless people. Whether they are trying to "scam" me or not, it's clear they are doing a lot worse than I am. Good on you.

You know, one of the things I've done (and still do), is if I'm flush and have enough to eat, a roof over my head, and a couple of extra bucks to squander, I keep a couple in my pocket to give to someone who asks. I mean, on a regular basis I've been known to stop at Starbucks and buy some over priced coffee just because I can and I like it. 5 bucks is less than what I spend at Starbucks, and it can actually make a difference to someone for a day. It can give them some food, or maybe something else that they need (even if it may be booze or whatever), it's up to them. My ownership of the cash and my say about what to do with it stops whenever I put it in their hand. What they do with it is entirely up to them. I know what it's like to be hungry and not have enough to buy a meal, and it sucks.

Then there's my belief in karma. I believe that whatever I put out in the world will come back to me eventually, and it's been that way for a long time. If they were scamming me or not, it still gives me a good feeling to think I might have made someone else's day just a bit better, and it didn't cost me hardly anything to do so. If nothing else, it kinda brightens my day to think I helped.

Scam or not, I don't mind helping when asked and I have the ability to do so. And yeah, I always keep a couple of bucks around if I can to do that, even though I live on a military pension.

...deft mute...

Definition of deft: characterized by facility and skill

the photographer's deft use of lighting
the deft fingers of the trumpeter
Give him a break. He obviously meant Delft.

"Delft" -- English or Dutch tin-glazed earthenware, typically decorated by hand in blue on a white background:

Forum List

Back