I Just Hit A Deer....Now What?

I'm glad you and your brother have a good relationship, it makes life more enjoyable.

My grandfather used to own about 1,000 acres on the James river just downstream from where I live now and there was nothing but woods for miles around. My friends and I didn't hunt but did lots of target shooting, homemade "firecracker" testing poker playing, fishing, swimming and would sometimes camp out for weeks.
Now, I drive past the same land and there's a McMansion on every 1/4 acre lot but I'm grateful for the little patch I've got.

I've got a blacksmith shop because that's what I did for about 30 years. Unfortunately, I can no longer blacksmith full time due to multiple medical issues from a life lived fully if not always wisely.
You wouldn't believe some of the weird things I was asked to make plus normal things, sculpture, ornamental wrought iron gates, fireplace tools, andirons, African animals, grape vines for wine rack, a full size jazz band, furniture, cannons, antique reproductions and on and on.

If you're looking for quick n' easy money, don't look at blacksmithing.

Thanks for writing,

I saw once how a guy on Mountain Men found oar/steel/iron deep in a cave Whatever you make knives, pots and pans out of. I am fascinated at who the fuck found the first iron deposits and then figured out how to melt it into objects. It's a very useful thing to know if you are a mountain man. You can make so many things out of scrap. It's a lost art where if the shit hit the fan, you'd be a rich merchant. You'd be the town blacksmith. iron horses shoes Make someone a cooking pot. I'll trade you 3 bullets and a chicken.

Another thing that fascinates me. When a family has 1000 acres and loses it. I am SOOOO glad my brothers two kids get along and love the hunting property. One even talks about putting a fishing pond in the middle of it one day. In the back is a small river. I would lay PVC pipe from the river to the pond and that's how I would fill it. And I think my brother will leave them enough when he and his wife die that they won't have to sell it. But if one of them doesn't live in MI anymore, he may want to sell it.

Dude, give me all the money in the world. Know what I'd be doing? Tinkering around in my blacksmith shop. Or pull barn. Or garage. Or outside breathing fresh air.

My brother bought the place during the housing crash. Cheap. Then he build a home on it when money wasn't making hardly any interest. Rich people were looking for good places to spend their money. I'd say he bought the property for $100K and then built the home and barn/garage for $500K and today I wouldn't sell the fucker for less than $2 million dollars. We've put a lot of work into it. And the guys who built the home, amazing. On a dirt road. 4.5 hours up north.

I would have gutted it. Tossed it in the bed of my truck. Took it home and quartered it.

At the time, I thought of the terrible waste of such a beautiful creature when we dragged it to the side of the road.

I've spent enough time in 3rd World countries to know how valuable that buck would have been to hungry people.

Keep up the good work...

The deer would have died without a bullet in the head. Now you have to explain the bullet to the local sheriff. Cut the antlers off if you are a hunter and and contact your insurance company.

It was a MAGA deer, seymour.
You miss the point of being MAGA. The point is NOT to be standing in the road with a deer in the headlights look waiting for the Democrats to run over us.
It's against the law here to put the deer out of its misery, we have to call a cop or a game warden to do that.
I hit a deer twice with the last NIssan, the second time totaling out the car. The roadsides here are usually littered with dead deer every few hundred yards.
I'd ask for a jury trial for the charge of putting a deer out of its misery. If I lost, I'd still win, but setting up a go fund me to lobby against that law.

I saw once how a guy on Mountain Men found oar/steel/iron deep in a cave Whatever you make knives, pots and pans out of. I am fascinated at who the fuck found the first iron deposits and then figured out how to melt it into objects. It's a very useful thing to know if you are a mountain man. You can make so many things out of scrap. It's a lost art where if the shit hit the fan, you'd be a rich merchant. You'd be the town blacksmith. iron horses shoes Make someone a cooking pot. I'll trade you 3 bullets and a chicken.

Another thing that fascinates me. When a family has 1000 acres and loses it. I am SOOOO glad my brothers two kids get along and love the hunting property. One even talks about putting a fishing pond in the middle of it one day. In the back is a small river. I would lay PVC pipe from the river to the pond and that's how I would fill it. And I think my brother will leave them enough when he and his wife die that they won't have to sell it. But if one of them doesn't live in MI anymore, he may want to sell it.

Dude, give me all the money in the world. Know what I'd be doing? Tinkering around in my blacksmith shop. Or pull barn. Or garage. Or outside breathing fresh air.

My brother bought the place during the housing crash. Cheap. Then he build a home on it when money wasn't making hardly any interest. Rich people were looking for good places to spend their money. I'd say he bought the property for $100K and then built the home and barn/garage for $500K and today I wouldn't sell the fucker for less than $2 million dollars. We've put a lot of work into it. And the guys who built the home, amazing. On a dirt road. 4.5 hours up north.

You would have loved my first blacksmith shop that was right next to an abandoned junkyard full of steel scraps, old house parts, ornamental slate and marble, stained glass windows, cast iron fireplace coal grates and more treasures than I can list here.

Moving my "treasures" and all my blacksmithing tools, layout tables etc took forever because the anvil was one of the lightest things I had to move. The heaviest thing I had to move was a 3 ton "Little Giant" mechanical hammer that was originally made in 1911 to pound on especially large pieces of hot steel.

I used to do demonstrations for school children and at festivals. The last "demonstration I did almost killed me because when I agreed to set up and do the demonstration, it was a cold December night at a party, of course. The date of the demonstration was in July so after a few hours of pounding on hot steel next to a 2,500 degree fire on a humid day with a temperature of 99º (F.), I passed out but not before vomiting all over myself.
In the morning when I was setting up for my heat stroke demonstration, I figured that I was going to get sick but, I gave my word that I would do a demonstration and I clearly demonstrated what not to do on a hot and humid day.

Of all the things I've done, I'd have to say that blacksmithing has been the most rewarding.
If you're interested in blacksmithing, it doesn't take a lot to get started and you also look at some of the toys at: Centaur Forge; Blacksmith & Farrier Supplies | Buy Forge Supplies, Equipment & Tools for Sale at Centaur Forge

I hope that you and your brother can hang onto that land and can enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Many thanks,

Gray

The deer would have died without a bullet in the head. Now you have to explain the bullet to the local sheriff. Cut the antlers off if you are a hunter and and contact your insurance company.

You're right about the bullet in the head and that's why I guess I'll start back to taking my .45 acp with me when I go out.
I thought about the antlers but my room has so much stuff hanging on the wall that there'ss not room for a toothpick.
Finally, I'm supposed to meet with the insurance people next week and take it from there.
The car still runs fine, it's just missing a few parts including the driver's, front turn signal

Thanks,

You would have loved my first blacksmith shop that was right next to an abandoned junkyard full of steel scraps, old house parts, ornamental slate and marble, stained glass windows, cast iron fireplace coal grates and more treasures than I can list here.

Moving my "treasures" and all my blacksmithing tools, layout tables etc took forever because the anvil was one of the lightest things I had to move. The heaviest thing I had to move was a 3 ton "Little Giant" mechanical hammer that was originally made in 1911 to pound on especially large pieces of hot steel.

I used to do demonstrations for school children and at festivals. The last "demonstration I did almost killed me because when I agreed to set up and do the demonstration, it was a cold December night at a party, of course. The date of the demonstration was in July so after a few hours of pounding on hot steel next to a 2,500 degree fire on a humid day with a temperature of 99º (F.), I passed out but not before vomiting all over myself.
In the morning when I was setting up for my heat stroke demonstration, I figured that I was going to get sick but, I gave my word that I would do a demonstration and I clearly demonstrated what not to do on a hot and humid day.

Of all the things I've done, I'd have to say that blacksmithing has been the most rewarding.
If you're interested in blacksmithing, it doesn't take a lot to get started and you also look at some of the toys at: Centaur Forge; Blacksmith & Farrier Supplies | Buy Forge Supplies, Equipment & Tools for Sale at Centaur Forge

I hope that you and your brother can hang onto that land and can enjoy it for the rest of your life.

Many thanks,

Gray

On mountain men, the most rewarding thing is to catch some food. Something they can turn into gloves or a hat. They use every part of the animal. But catching an animal is just as rewarding as selling a house.

I bet making something useful is very rewarding. Next to a junk yard? Omg heaven for you.

My brother asked if I hit the lotto would I really build my own hone or just pay someone to do it right. I’d probably pay someone but on the back of the property I would build a small log cabin that doubles as a hunting blind. And if I hit the lotto I’d probably buy all the tools to build it. Not do it by hand.

And would I harvest the logs or just buy them? It’s a lot of work.

Do you know you fainting went viral? Google blacksmith throws up on himself and passes out. Lol

On mountain men, the most rewarding thing is to catch some food. Something they can turn into gloves or a hat. They use every part of the animal. But catching an animal is just as rewarding as selling a house.

I bet making something useful is very rewarding. Next to a junk yard? Omg heaven for you.

My brother asked if I hit the lotto would I really build my own hone or just pay someone to do it right. I’d probably pay someone but on the back of the property I would build a small log cabin that doubles as a hunting blind. And if I hit the lotto I’d probably buy all the tools to build it. Not do it by hand.

And would I harvest the logs or just buy them? It’s a lot of work.

Do you know you fainting went viral? Google blacksmith throws up on himself and passes out. Lol

I know about the show, "Mountain Men", but have never seen it.
I'll have to take a look at it.

I loved having that old junkyard to crawl around and was heartbroken when the city cleaned it up and hauled everything away. There was a large "job box" full of huge nuts and bolts used to construct bridges, hi-way signs etc. It was buried under a bunch of old doors and scrap lumber so I had to tunnel my way in and get the nuts and bolts by the bucket full. I only got about 6 buckets until I broke my right foot crawling over rotten wood.

Briefly put, I taught myself how to blacksmith by practice, reading books and making some very clunky and ugly stuff out of perfectly good steel.
I just kept pounding away until I became able to make stuff that people would buy and ended up with more orders than I could fill.

Unfortunately, I've currently got some medical "issues" that I'm dealing with as a result of living life fully if not always wisely.

If you're really interested in making things out of steel, I'm sure that there are plenty of blacksmithing organizations in your state you could join and start out by just watching.... what have you got to lose?

Finally, I couldn't find where: "blacksmith throws up on himself and passes out" had gone viral.
That particular incident happened about 15 years ago.

Thanks and good luck,

I know about the show, "Mountain Men", but have never seen it.
I'll have to take a look at it.

I loved having that old junkyard to crawl around and was heartbroken when the city cleaned it up and hauled everything away. There was a large "job box" full of huge nuts and bolts used to construct bridges, hi-way signs etc. It was buried under a bunch of old doors and scrap lumber so I had to tunnel my way in and get the nuts and bolts by the bucket full. I only got about 6 buckets until I broke my right foot crawling over rotten wood.

Briefly put, I taught myself how to blacksmith by practice, reading books and making some very clunky and ugly stuff out of perfectly good steel.
I just kept pounding away until I became able to make stuff that people would buy and ended up with more orders than I could fill.

Unfortunately, I've currently got some medical "issues" that I'm dealing with as a result of living life fully if not always wisely.

If you're really interested in making things out of steel, I'm sure that there are plenty of blacksmithing organizations in your state you could join and start out by just watching.... what have you got to lose?

Finally, I couldn't find where: "blacksmith throws up on himself and passes out" had gone viral.
That particular incident happened about 15 years ago.

Thanks and good luck,
I was totally kidding! Could you imagine if you found that you went viral and never new?

You will love Mountain Men. Especially some previous seasons where there is a guy who's a blacksmith like you. Lives off the grid with his wife and 2 kids. He will be your favorite guy on the show. Start on season 1.

I can relate to the part about currently having medical issues due to not living wisely. I hope you get better.

I was totally kidding! Could you imagine if you found that you went viral and never new?

You will love Mountain Men. Especially some previous seasons where there is a guy who's a blacksmith like you. Lives off the grid with his wife and 2 kids. He will be your favorite guy on the show. Start on season 1.

I can relate to the part about currently having medical issues due to not living wisely. I hope you get better.

With some of the stuff that goes viral these day, I had to check....good one.

I'll try to watch Mountain Men if I can find a 12 year old to work the remote control.

I believe it was W.C.Fields that said: "If I'd known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

"....here, hold my beer."

Thanks,

With some of the stuff that goes viral these day, I had to check....good one.

I'll try to watch Mountain Men if I can find a 12 year old to work the remote control.

I believe it was W.C.Fields that said: "If I'd known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

"....here, hold my beer."

Thanks,
Younger us doesn't give a fuck about older us. If we did we would eat better and save more. How many of us in our 50's wish we didn't piss so much money away when we were younger. Now there is a fine line here. You don't want to save so much when you are young you don't enjoy life. Like I purchased a $25K pontoon. That's $25K I killed towards my nest egg. But you don't want to wait till you are 65 to buy a boat. Enjoy life now.

"I Just Hit A Deer.... Now What?"

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

What do other people do that don't carry firearms:
  • Leave the deer to suffer
  • Wait for someone with a firearm to show up?
  • Call the police or animal Control?
  • Take the deer to a vet. ?

If you were in my position, what would you have done differently?

Thanks,
Option 3 - Call the police or animal Control

My brother bought 60 acres up north MI. We use it to get away. Boy do we love it up there. We're going to go hunt Nov 1. He won't let me hunt before him. Last year he says I chased all the deer away in October. LOL. He's probably right. Me and my dog. He puts a lot of time and money into hunting for me to screw it up. I don't blame him.

I think you have to have 5 acres to buy where he lives. You can't buy a lot. There are no subdivisions where he lives. It's meant for people who want to buy hunting properties. 50 acres, 100 acres, 500 acres. I've seen some amazing properties.

Your home sounds amazing. Blacksmith shop? That sounds cool. You should make art out of trash and sell it. We went to a hunting expo and some guy had a big witches kettle that you can have a fire in. It's a fire pit but looks like witches colderon. Some guy like you made it. It dangles off this tripod holder. The tripod touches the ground the big metal fire pit dangles. It makes the perfect fires.

Looks like this only what's holding it up is different. It is round steel frame that holds it up not a tripod like this.

View attachment 844328
I swear deer have calendars. When I was stationed at Fort Lewis WA, we would see deer all the time on base. The first day of deer season they all disappeared like magic, only to reappear the day after deer season ended.

You miss the point of being MAGA. The point is NOT to be standing in the road with a deer in the headlights look waiting for the Democrats to run over us.

I'd ask for a jury trial for the charge of putting a deer out of its misery. If I lost, I'd still win, but setting up a go fund me to lobby against that law.
Get a couple of Bambi-loving soccer moms on the jury and you'd have a good defense. Putting an injured animal out of its misery is probably one of the few thing's hunters and animal-lovers can agree upon.

I swear deer have calendars. When I was stationed at Fort Lewis WA, we would see deer all the time on base. The first day of deer season they all disappeared like magic, only to reappear the day after deer season ended.

Saturday it was getting dark. Suddenly I see a big buck walk out of the fucking woods and walk just far enough (60 yards) to where I shouldn't have taken a shot. Just dark enough and just far enough away. LOL.

Luckily I completely missed. I shouldn't have taken the shot but god damn he was big. I'm taking a fucking shot. It's not a gun that goes BANG after dark.

I went and got my dog and some really bright flashlights and we looked. No blood. Found the arrow. Glad I didn't hit him in a bad spot. Glad to miss completely if I'm going to miss.

And no way a deer comes that close in gun season. Then they'll stop short at 170 yards away.

"I Just Hit A Deer.... Now What?"

Yesterday morning, bright and early, I was on my way to get a root canal and hit a large, male deer (aka a "Buck") at about 50 MPH and will never forget that sickening "Thump" noise when metal hits flesh.

When I moved from a "spirited" inner-city neighborhood to a rural neighborhood, I quit carrying carrying a pistol just because it was such a bother.

Meanwhile, the poor, beautiful animal was flailing around in the middle of a 4 lane road and at the same time I was directing traffic around the him wondering when one of those normally ubiquitous LEOs might sho up as quickly as if I had an expired inspection sticker.

In no more than 4 minutes, a very good Samaritan saw my predicament, stopped, grabbed his pistol and put the deer out of its misery while stopped traffic.

Since my faithful, old RAV 4 was still drivable and I figured that I had a good excuse for putting off my root canal, I decided to go home and watch he birds with my lame, old dog.

So, it looks like my old HK45 is going to be getting out and around a little bit more.

What do other people do that don't carry firearms:
  • Leave the deer to suffer
  • Wait for someone with a firearm to show up?
  • Call the police or animal Control?
  • Take the deer to a vet. ?

If you were in my position, what would you have done differently?

Thanks,
Butcher him, start the BBQ and invite us over. Have beer.

Butcher him, start the BBQ and invite us over. Have beer.

I'm afraid that the poor critter didn't last long before someone else had the same idea.

Don't worry.
As long as I'm still driving, there's still hope...

All are welcome....

Forum List

Back