I just bought a Cold Steel "Bushman" and boy is it impressive!

I know you are talking to Sunni man but I have maybe 30 knives not counting the good german kitchen knives . Some are maybe 75 years old and they are old fixed blade hunting knives by Case and Buck , Schrade plus my Kabar . So maybe 5 or 6 fixed plus a knife made from a railroad spike all USA made . Then I have some old and new folders , Case and Buck plus an old Barlowe that's pretty old with wood handles . Nothing really notable as my main interest was always motorcycles and a figured that , what the heck , a pocket knife and a fixed blade here and there were good enough !! Just recently that I've become more interested in knives .

I like the idea of that Bushman though , I like its SPEAR ability although a gun is better at holding off wild animals .

I know you are talking to Sunni man but I have maybe 30 knives not counting the good german kitchen knives . Some are maybe 75 years old and they are old fixed blade hunting knives by Case and Buck , Schrade plus my Kabar . So maybe 5 or 6 fixed plus a knife made from a railroad spike all USA made . Then I have some old and new folders , Case and Buck plus an old Barlowe that's pretty old with wood handles . Nothing really notable as my main interest was always motorcycles and a figured that , what the heck , a pocket knife and a fixed blade here and there were good enough !! Just recently that I've become more interested in knives .

Wow!

Sounds like the start of museum! Or a collection at a museum.

I have only recently become interested in them but my interest is in what a thing can do, what purpose it serves.

Decorative and ornate and folders are not my cup o noodles.

Ha.

:)

How big is your collection?
I am not a big collector like Pismoe.

I only have about 10 knives.

Which includes my speciality kitchen knives, field, and a couple of work and EDC.

Mainly, I buy for quality, functionality, utility, and history.......like my WWll Marine Ka-Bar.

But my dream would be to find an old authentic handmade Randall knife at a yard sale for $10 ...... :eusa_angel:

r-355-0.jpg

Which includes my speciality kitchen knives, field, and a couple of work and EDC.

Mainly, I buy for quality, functionality, utility, and history.......like my WWll Marine Ka-Bar.

But my dream would be to find an old authentic handmade Randall knife at a yard sale for $10 ...... :eusa_angel:

r-355-0.jpg
Is that a Randall pictured there?

It looks like a pimped out Kabar.

And you must know of my affinity to mack an smack, you dig?

LOL

Good times.

r-355-0.jpg
Is that a Randall pictured there?

It looks like a pimped out Kabar.

And you must know of my affinity to mack an smack, you dig?

LOL

Good times.
Randall made several types and designs of knives.

They are 100% hand made so no two are identical.

The older one's can run into the $ thousands. ....... :cool:

Last edited:
One knife I would like to own is the Cold Steel modern version of the fabled Gurkha knife with high quality Japanese steel called the San Mai 3

Whether you use it for camping with the family, or beheading infidels, this knife looks like it would be the cat's meow. ..... :cool:

large_17030_Cold-Steel-Ghurka-Kukri-Plus-39LGKI-01.jpg

Last edited:
One knife I would like to own is the Cold Steel modern version of the fabled Gurkha knife with high quality Japanese steel called the San Mai 3

Whether you use it for camping with the family, or beheading infidels, this knife looks like it would be the cat's meow. ..... :cool:

large_17030_Cold-Steel-Ghurka-Kukri-Plus-39LGKI-01.jpg

Sick sense of humor.

Only reason it is even wryly funny is because it is you copping to it.

Fuckin Jihadi.

Thanks, Mojo. My husband already has quite an assortment of knives but I think I am going to buy him one of these. He'll probably love it. Thanks for the intro! Neat presentation!

I forgot to mention yesterday how lucky I think your husband is to have such a loving and understanding and agreeable wifey as you!

:D

My go to kitchen knife is a 7" Santoku Classic made by a Japanese company called Shun.

It is hollow ground Damacus clad stainless steel with a VG steel edge that stays razor sharp. The knife has indentions on the side of the blade that helps keep whatever you are cutting from sticking to the blade.

Japanese chef knife blades are thiner and specifically sharpened for either right handed or left handed users. Also, the "D" shaped handles are right hand or left hand oriented.

In the kitchen I basically only need my Santoku, a bread knife, and a pairing knife.

5914.jpg

nice knife , I've heard of shun and only good things . Think they only make kitchen knives . I have HENCKEL and they are nice knives . If I were to buy kitchen knives ever again I'll just get some mild steel 'OLD HICKORY ' knives !!

My go to kitchen knife is a 7" Santoku Classic made by a Japanese company called Shun.

It is hollow ground Damacus clad stainless steel with a VG steel edge that stays razor sharp. The knife has indentions on the side of the blade that helps keep whatever you are cutting from sticking to the blade.

Japanese chef knife blades are thiner and specifically sharpened for either right handed or left handed users. Also, the "D" shaped handles are right hand or left hand oriented.

In the kitchen I basically only need my Santoku, a bread knife, and a pairing knife.

5914.jpg

Damascus steel is supposed to be very flexible.

Did you see the flex tests on the CS Bushman?

Bent to 90 degrees and it snaps back like nothing ever touched it.

Wow.

nice knife , I've heard of shun and only good things . Think they only make kitchen knives . I have HENCKEL and they are nice knives . If I were to buy kitchen knives ever again I'll just get some mild steel 'OLD HICKORY ' knives !!

Funny you say that.

More than 20 years ago I got a set of Old Hickory kitchen knives and I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "Gee, there's something really cool about these knives."

Of course it was their high carbon steel and sharp out of the box cutting edge.

At the time, however, I wasn't into knives. I had no perceived need for them beyond just sometimes carrying a folder for whatever might come up.

I know now what I had now. For a cheap set of kitchen knives it is pretty good. Holds an edge pretty well, too.

They probably make sheaths for those knives if someone wanted to carry it around for bushcraft.

the old guys carried and used knive similar to OLD HICKORY . I can't imagine any of my grandmothers or even parents buying expensive knives . In the 60 - 70s we got what I remember people went to junk knives [imo] which were serrated and were stainless steel . Mild carbon steel is what I like !!

the old guys carried and used knive similar to OLD HICKORY . I can't imagine any of my grandmothers or even parents buying expensive knives . In the 60 - 70s we got what I remember people went to junk knives [imo] which were serrated and were stainless steel . Mild carbon steel is what I like !!

"Mild carbon steel is what I like !!"

That reminds me of a line from Pulp Fiction.

83. INT. JIMMIE’S BEDROOM – MORNING 83.

JIMMIE
Mr. Wolf, you gotta understand
somethin’ —

THE WOLF
— Winston, Jimmie — please,
Winston.

JIMMIE
You gotta understand something,
Winston. I want to help you guys
out and all, but that’s my best
linen. It was a wedding present
from my Uncle Conrad and Aunt
Ginny, and they ain’t with us
anymore —

THE WOLF
— let me ask you a question, if
you don’t mind?

JIMMIE
Sure.

THE WOLF
Were you Uncle Conrad and Aunt
Ginny millionaires?

JIMMIE
No.

THE WOLF
Well, your Uncle Marsellus is. And
I’m positive if Uncle Conrad and
Aunt Ginny were millionaires, they
would’ve furnished you with a whole
bedroom set, which your Uncle
Marsellus is more than happy to do.

(takes out a roll of bills)

I like oak myself, that’s what’s in
my bedroom. How ’bout you Jimmie,
you an oak man?

JIMMIE
Oak’s nice.

Script 4. Jules Vincent Jimmie The Wolf PulpFiction.de

I think that my COPENHAGEN badged little single blade knife is a Schrade , USA made , very sharp and small enough to fit in my watch pocket . I have 2 of them and got them maybe 92 as a COPENHAGEN promotion for about 5 bucks a piece . I'll look in the morning but I think its a Schrade . I want a TIDEBOUT whaler , lumberjack or sunfish but haven't bought yet and might not ever buy . Its really just useless tings to me as how many knives does a guy need . Think I want the LUMBERJACK if I ever buy .

Forum List

Back