I Intend To Buy A Generator:

generators have a lot of pros and cons.....i have a small one...we switch off the water heater and the tv/net.....runs on gas....one big con....they are hard to crank and maintain..... but they will keep the freezer cold....o and they are loud

mine has a battery operated on/off key..... but if all else fails you can crank it. Ive never had to crank up.

After this storm, which mercifully spared me and my immediate neighbors from the kind of devastation or prolonged inconvenience suffered by so many others, I'm going to buy a generator.

Does anyone experienced with these things have some advice on brand, type, model, etc.?

I have been considering the same thing, but, it was recommended that I buy this...Honeywell 45kw Generator
350-594293-847__1.jpg
...price tag $14,999.99 just for the unit.

The most I have been without power is 12 hours at a clip and this powerhouse does not seem to justify that costly and enormous generator.
That's waaaaay too big for a single house. Maybe you could get some neighbors to go in on it with you...?

After this storm, which mercifully spared me and my immediate neighbors from the kind of devastation or prolonged inconvenience suffered by so many others, I'm going to buy a generator.

Does anyone experienced with these things have some advice on brand, type, model, etc.?
Depends on what you want to do. Do you want to power the whole house, or just the freezer/fridge/water heater/some lights? Do you have natural gas or propane available? Do you want the genny to come on and transfer automatically, or manual start and transfer?

No matter what you get, unless it's just a small campsite-type of generator to keep your fridge running, get an electrician to do any wiring.

When it comes to generators, you get what you pay for.

There are many types of generators.

At the low end, you have your low wattage, pull-start, gasoline powered generator which will power a few critical items in your house with a long extension cord.

At the top end, you have auto-start, natural gas powered (with a propane backup) generators which can be wired directly into your home's fuse panel and generate enough power to run a missile silo.

And then there is everything in between.

So the real question is, how much are you willing to spend?

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back