I have a question for you hunter's out there!

dilloduck said:
Conveniently framed but not true---this thread has turned into whether hunting and the display of the catch is merely a male ego issue or a legitimate sport that is done for a variety of OTHER reasons. I suggested YOU not take a post so seriously once when you were crying. I'm perfectly in control of my emotions and in fact using them to counter untruths and myths.
I'm "trying" to do nothing but defend hunters here--if you are taking this as a personal attack I suggest you check your paranoia level.
Tacky--disgusting--fine----Just don't try to tell me it's all done by males who need to inflate their egos and we'll be fine.

Bingo.. There we go.. You're so angry you just assumed that I said all males. Now, can you point out precisely where I said all? Because I remember two specific instances wherein I stated that I was not referring to "all".

Let me break it down for you in simple to understand terminology:

Hunting for food - Acceptable. Consume what you catch.

Hunting for sport and trophies only (those that do NOT consume what they catch) - Wasteful, and egotistical.

Stuffed body parts mounted to a wall: Tacky in either case in my opinion. Have them in your house if you like - it's not like I'll see them.

Shattered said:
Bingo.. There we go.. You're so angry you just assumed that I said all males. Now, can you point out precisely where I said all? Because I remember two specific instances wherein I stated that I was not referring to "all".

Hunting for sport and trophies only (those that do NOT consume what they catch) - Wasteful, and egotistical.

Stuffed body parts mounted to a wall: Tacky in either case in my opinion. Have them in your house if you like - it's not like I'll see them.

in a nut shell, clearly stated and defined.

Shattered said:

Sorry, that number wasn't called---I never said you were accusing "ALL" men--show me where i said that !
Khafley asked why MEN keep trophies---the answer given by many was "to inflate their EGOS". This is simply false.
So how do you feel about varmint hunting ??? They throw away the whole damn thing when its killed .

dilloduck said:
Sorry, that number wasn't called---I never said you were accusing "ALL" men--show me where i said that !
Khafley asked why MEN keep trophies---the answer given by many was "to inflate their EGOS". This is simply false.
So how do you feel about varmint hunting ??? They throw away the whole damn thing when its killed .

You said: Just don't try to tell me it's all done by males who need to inflate their egos and we'll be fine.

Now we're going to get in to semantics? "it's ALL done by males who..." vs. "all males who hunt are..."??

Come on! You're better than that.

Are you going to tell me that NO men hunt merely to inflate their egos?

Shattered said:
You said: Just don't try to tell me it's all done by males who need to inflate their egos and we'll be fine.

Now we're going to get in to semantics? "it's ALL done by males who..." vs. "all males who hunt are..."??

YOU brought up the "all" issue so I guess you DID bring us into semantics.You're right, I am better than that--you just can't figure it out yet.
let me help you by explaining that sentance to you. " Just don't try to tell me that it (hunting) is all done by (males who need their egos inflated). Hunting is primarliy done for the sport of it by males and females and the trophy hunters are the exception--not the rule.

Shattered said:

not at all. they are out there for sure. but some of them do hunt for trophy, head mounts. but they donate the meat to worthy causes. there are a few feed the homelss and less fortunate charities out there that will take game meat and deer hits on the highway. so that is one aspect of trophying that has a good cause tied to it. its the ones that go out jsut to shoot a buck, take the head and leave the rest for wild animals are the ones that suck.

dilloduck said:
YOU brought up the "all" issue so I guess you DID bring us into semantics.You're right, I am better than that--you just can't figure it out yet.
let me help you by explaining that sentance to you. " Just don't try to tell me that it (hunting) is all done by (males who need their egos inflated). Hunting is primarliy done for the sport of it by males and females and the trophy hunters are the exception--not the rule.

The trophy hunters may be an exception in your corner of the world. They are not an exception in my corner of the world.

Thus, the difference in opinions.

Shattered said:
The trophy hunters may be an exception in your corner of the world. They are not an exception in my corner of the world.

Thus, the difference in opinions.

How do you know that??---Just because there's a trophy on a lot of peoples' walls doesn't mean they didn't also eat what they killed. You leaping to a conclusion here that you have no way to prove. THIS is the assumption that I'm contesting here. Do you have proof that for everyhead you see on a wall that there is an entire carcass out there just rotting away??? In Texas if hunters want to just hunt for horns, the carcass is given to food banks and shelters. It is ILLEGAL to leave a carcass to rot . Same with fish !!!

dilloduck said:
How do you know that??---Just because there's a trophy on a lot of peoples' walls doesn't mean they didn't also eat what they killed. You leaping to a conclusion here that you have no way to prove. THIS is the assumption that I'm contesting here. Do you have proof that for everyhead you see on a wall that there is an entire carcass out there just rotting away??? In Texas if hunters want to just hunt for horns, the carcass is given to food banks and shelters. It is ILLEGAL to leave a carcass to rot . Same with fish !!!

Since you wish to argue, rather than just agree to disagree, where is your proof that all hunters are, in fact, consuming what they kill? Just because it's illegal? Gimme a break. People break the law every single day.

Shattered said:
Since you wish to argue, rather than just agree to disagree, where is your proof that all hunters are, in fact, consuming what they kill? Just because it's illegal? Gimme a break. People break the law every single day.

I don't consider this arguing --it's an adversarial debate just like happens on many threads here. You would be shocked to see the sanctity with which most hunters and fisherman treat nature. They do more to protect the propogation of species than ANYONE. They police each other and turn in poachers. They report pollution and spend millions that goes directly to protect habitats. They have saved entire herds of deer from extinction by eradicating pests and diseases. To try to explain away trophies as "a thing men do to inflate their egos" is a statement made out of pure ignorance

dilloduck said:
I don't consider this arguing --it's an adversarial debate just like happens on many threads here. You would be shocked to see the sanctity with which most hunters and fisherman treat nature. They do more to protect the propogation of species than ANYONE. They police each other and turn in poachers. They report pollution and spend millions that goes directly to protect habitats. They have saved entire herds of deer from extinction by eradicating pests and diseases. To try to explain away trophies as "a thing men do to inflate their egos" is a statement made out of pure ignorance

You forgot that they also shoot each OTHER to death over a flipping tree stand. :D

For every good act, somewhere, there is a bad act.

This wasn't about the rights/wrongs of hunting. It was a question on why men feel the need to mount heads to walls.

Shattered said:
You forgot that they also shoot each OTHER to death over a flipping tree stand. :D

For every good act, somewhere, there is a bad act.

This wasn't about the rights/wrongs of hunting. It was a question on why men feel the need to mount heads to walls.

LMAO--wash away millions of good with an incident initiated by one fricken idiot. Pitiful comparison.

answer?--you'll have to ask em because they all have their individual reasons.

Why do women feel like they need a boob job---is there just one answer and that answer is EGO?

dilloduck said:
LMAO--wash away millions of good with an incident initiated by one fricken idiot. Pitiful comparison.

answer?--you'll have to ask em because they all have their individual reasons.

Why do women feel like they need a boob job---is there just one answer and that answer is EGO?

Increase? Yes. I think that's ego.

Decrease? No. Health reasons, and it's just plain damn hard on your back.

Shattered said:
Increase? Yes. I think that's ego.

Decrease? No. Health reasons, and it's just plain damn hard on your back.

In other words people do things for different reasons. I've made my point that many hunters have trophies for reasons OTHER than ego. If Khafley truly wants to know an HONEST answer to her question she will have to do more research and not simply throw the topic out and have it responded too with unfounded opinions.. Maybe she could personally just ask her hubby? Odd concept.
Some generalizations I simply will not let stand unopposed. That doesn't mean I have attempted to make you look weak or attacked you personally. It's all part of posting here. We all can express our thoughts and all are free to contest them.

dilloduck said:
I don't consider this arguing --it's an adversarial debate just like happens on many threads here. You would be shocked to see the sanctity with which most hunters and fisherman treat nature. They do more to protect the propogation of species than ANYONE. They police each other and turn in <b>poachers.</b> They report pollution and spend millions that goes directly to protect habitats. They have saved entire herds of deer from extinction by eradicating pests and diseases. To try to explain away trophies as "a thing men do to inflate their egos" is a statement made out of pure ignorance
now that is what really give hunters a bad name right there

..."You would be shocked to see the sanctity with which most hunters and fisherman treat nature. They do more to protect the propogation of species than ANYONE. They police each other and turn in poachers. They report pollution and spend millions that goes directly to protect habitats. They have saved entire herds of deer from extinction by eradicating pests and diseases. "

100% correct. I have hunted and fished all over the country and world and the common thread I continue to find is the reverence that sportsmen have for nature and the enviornment. It is the playground that we most visit and we damn sure dont want it trashed. As I posted yesterday, ego has nothing to do with the "trophys" I have collected, rather love for the beauty that is in nature. I could care less what anyone thinks of hunting or the occasional trophy I take. I can honestly say I know hundreds of hunters and fishermen and do not know one the does it just for the trophys. I shared with Dillo yesterday via PM that I taught both of my grown daughters to hunt and fish and am in the process of teaching my two young sons. I dont know a better gift I could bestow upon them. My very femenine wife also is very handy with a shotgun and a fly rod and I dare you to call her egotistical. Perhaps it is part of the reason that my grown children didnt waste much time in the malls or watching the crap that is on television. They were more interested in getting a good nights sleep so they could rise early, get to the duck blind before the ducks flew and waited with anticipation for our Lab to pick up the first downed duck just as the sun rose. If you have never experienced this or any of hundreds of similar scenarios you dont know what you have missed. Until you do please dont knock what you cant understand. Now I am rambling....bye

Shattered said:
*shrug* I know if someone told me they took out a 10 point buck with a bowie knife, I'd be less apt to roll my eyes, and say "yeah - like the poor thing ever had a chance anyway.", since, at that point, it does.

There are a LOT of things *everyone* (men and women alike) do stictly for ego. I think hunting with a giant gun happens to be one of them.

I think pride is based on more personal accomplishments...but that's just me.

Shattered baby I love ya but we disagree on this one, killing that ol' 10 point with your rifle of choice is definitely an accomplishment since he didn't become a 10 point by being the dumbest buck in the forest, those bastards are smart.

Shattered said:
Let's see... I'll use me as an example.. For as far back as I can remember, every single person in my family is an alcoholic, non-working, useless drain on society. It would have been easy as hell for me to follow that path, because it's what I grew up knowing.. Free money, booze, drugs, free (mostly) housing, no responsibilities...

Instead, I decided I didn't want that, so I walked away from it... completely. Haven't seen/talked to them in over 20 years.

They're living welfare/general assistance check to welfare/general assistance check. I have a very well paying job.

They're living in government assisted housing (or so I assume), I just bought a new house I'm *very* proud of, in a really nice neighborhood.

They're considered poverty level. I pushed *myself* up to "upper middle class".

Basically, I started from nothing, and worked my way up to what I wanted. I did it myself, with nothing handed to me. To me, that's a personal accomplishment. It's not one I brag about, and it's not one I talk about (this being an exception because you asked). But, it's something I feel *inside*, when I look around me, and just reflect on what I see.

Hunting? The deer doesn't have a change of surviving a bullet to the head any more than you do. You're hiding in a tree, silently waiting for it to come to you, so you can ping it off from a hidden spot off the ground.

All your accomplishments are def accomplishments and you have every right to be damn proud. The deer who just come wandering by the tree stand are yearlings at best and dumber than a box of rocks, you never see the big boys taken that way. They have to be stalked and planned out and a certain degree of luck is involved also.

remie said:
Hey dilloduck

Sorry I came across this thread after the discussion seems to have ended. Couple of things:

1 I used to be insulted by being called Bubba but now I just laugh because if that is the worst thing someone can come up with they arent worth my time worrying about them.

2 It is not an ego thing as Mr. P would have everyone believe. My love of hunting and fishing has from time to time allowed me to find a very special speciman of a particular species and yes I have had them mounted. It is not an ego thing, rather an appreciation of the beauty that nature blesses us with. In all my many outings with rod or gun the "trophys" I have taken are few and far between. That is what makes them special. That is not to say that all game I have taken are not trophys in their own way. I choose to honor some by consumption and some by taxidermy. My "bubette" wife killed the most beautiful drake red head duck last year I have ever seen and she chose to put it on the wall rather than in the freezer for consumption. Her choice and I was delighted.

3 Trophys come in many forms. A trophy wife, that nice big house, that new car and any number of posessions that one may have. I guess the fact that we choose to bring nature and a rod or gun into the mix makes it a problem for some. Their problem not mine.

I could go on but I think I have made clear my stance. Besides I just got the urge to go get my shotgun and go kill something. All the best to you Dillo.

Remie buddy how ya doing? How was the hunting down your way? The doves were excellent this year couldn't have been better, resident geese out of this world! Quail were good too but the ducks, damn the ducks sucked ass! Went 5 times got 1, count it 1 greenhead. There were no storms moving across Canada until like the last week of the season to freeze the ponds and move the ducks off the ponds and down into the states. Sucked my left nut! Spring turkey is coming and hopefully that will be good.

Forum List

Back