I forgot how to cut trim

Box Knife with a new blade?

No, I mean the angles where the base molding meets to the corner molding. I'm just using a hacksaw and a mitre box.

The maintenance department at a major hospital used a box knife with a new blade to cut rubber base molding but only used precision cuts. Similar to an MD and his/her scalpel.

edit: I don't know what you mean by base molding. Are you talking about roofing?

Last edited:
Found this and about 50 other how-tos:

Your pic shows rubber base molding like used in a hospital but I still don't know what kind of base molding he is asking to cut. He should use a chop saw which I did not know what meant but they still hired me.

edit: After looking at your pic in depth that is pre-painted wood base molding used in fancy mansions where a table miter cut saw is the best. Always remember plumb, level and square when erecting steel frames.

Last edited:
Your pic shows rubber base molding like used in a hospital but I still don't know what kind of base molding he is asking to cut. He should use a chop saw which I did not know what meant but they still hired me.

edit: After looking at your pic in depth that is pre-painted wood base molding used in fancy mansions where a table miter cut saw is the best. Always remember plumb, level and square.

Oh, I should have said crown molding. It's wood.

Here's what I'm trying to do...

Sorry for the rudimentary drawing, it's early heh.

ZZDlTCE.jpg

Last edited:

edit: After looking at your pic in depth that is pre-painted wood base molding used in fancy mansions where a table miter cut saw is the best. Always remember plumb, level and square.

Sorry fir the rudimentary drawing, it's early heh.

ZZDlTCE.jpg

You need a little 45 wedge?

Make it so

PS: Your 45 looks like 30 to me.

Chop saw or crosscut saw with miter box.

Or speed square and skilsaw/jigsaw.

I think I have to cut the inside and the outside corner molding twice, once on each side on the same end to make two inside 45s. Kind of like an inside and outside V.

I don't remember.

Last edited:

I think I have to cut the inside and the outside corner molding twice, once on each side on the same end to make an inside 45. Kind of likje an inside and outside V.

I don't remember.

Yeah, that's like I was with re-stringing a lawnmower. Had not done in 15 years..I did it wrong twice. Maybe I could do it today the 1st time, but I don't need to.

Sorry fir the rudimentary drawing, it's early heh.

ZZDlTCE.jpg
45 degrees? I didn't get it about the 22.5" measurement in the video. I think there might be videos more to your liking at youTube, because all I had was to quote your first post into their message box. My hat's off to you for working in carpentry. About all I use in quilting is the Pythagorean theorem when doing half-square triangles, which is only two-dimensional when carpentry requires third-dimension thinking. Best wishes in your project. You're gonna make someone proud. :).

45 degrees? I didn't get it about the 22.5" measurement in the video. I think there might be videos more to your liking at youTube, because all I had was to quote your first post into their message box. My hat's off to you for working in carpentry. About all I use in quilting is the Pythagorean theorem when doing half-square triangles, which is only two-dimensional when carpentry requires third-dimension thinking. Best wishes in your project. You're gonna make someone proud. :).

I was wondering what you meant by mitering sheets. I didn't know how to respond. Ha. Thanks for the kind words, beautress.

Sorry for the rudimentary drawing, it's early heh.

ZZDlTCE.jpg

Thanks for your hand drawn diagram but what is the scale factor?

I found a picture of what I need to cut. So, crown molding on the ceiling and the floor with the corner mold needing cut on both ends.

Of course, the outside corners would be reverse angles, so opposite multiple cuts.

trim003.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your hand drawn diagram but what is the scale factor?

I'm probably gonna go 3 1/8 with the crown molding. Probably 1 1/8 on the inside and outside corners, I'd like 2 1/8 , though, if I can find it.

I think I have to cut the inside and the outside corner molding twice, once on each side on the same end to make two inside 45s. Kind of like an inside and outside V.

I don't remember.

I wrote an answer and deleted it because I was wrong. Hospital base molding corners come pre-molded. To get the corner perfect then buy a pre-molded base corner and stick it on with mastic.

Forum List

Back