I don't really understand the Dems' "need," for lack of a better word, for a national $15 min wage.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.

I don't know what's magic about $15 an hour. Let's get ahead and make it $45 an hour.

How does the minimum wage affect the income of those who do not/cannot work?
Does anything we do to the minimum wage affect those people or the poverty in which they live?
Raising the minimum wage will most certainly help the working poor but will do nothing for the non-working poor.
Unemployment compensation that faithfully conforms to our at-will employment laws could solve simple poverty in a market friendly manner. Right wingers also have a problem with that.
You should join our show tonight, we look for Dems. to come on and explain this new direction we're heading towards.

Sorry. When I take my pants off it's not to get cheetoized. But, enjoy.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
Entry level jobs will disappear. Employers will not train employees @ $15/Hr.; Restaurant workers better get used to no tips--I am not going to pay an inflated price for a meal (to cover higher wages) and give the server a tip too. Most servers I have known make more in tips than their wage. We've already been set up for a gig economy--especially with covid. Got skills? If not, you'll be on the dole before too long.

The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees who receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage#Tipped_minimum_wage_law

img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

I am not the one complaining about taxes.

No surprise, as you know, forty-seven percent of workers pay no Federal Income Tax. Why would you care?

Greed-S.jpg
Means nothing since doubling the minimum wage means more people would be paying income tax.

And, I have never understood why right wingers complain about taxes when according to them, the Poor can simply get a better job to lift themselves out of poverty by making more money to where paying taxes doesn't bother them.

Do you have the same job you had in high school for the same wage?

Do people remain in the same tax bracket all their lives or do they move up and down the brackets?

Think. What single entity benefits from an increase in the minimum wage?
Women for one. Government for another (due to more tax revenue).

Contrary to popular conceptions, the majority of minimum wage earners are not teenagers. Roughly 80 percent are adults—almost two-thirds are women—and most are working to support their families. Women of color are overrepresented in minimum wage jobs—while they make up 17 percent of the population, they are almost a quarter of minimum wage workers. So it’s no surprise that women of color experience higher poverty rates and higher wage gaps than their white counterparts.--https://womenemployed.org/minimum-wage/

I don't know what's magic about $15 an hour. Let's get ahead and make it $45 an hour.
Are you trying to be more fiscally responsible and balance the budget from the tax revenue collected?

I am not the one complaining about taxes.

No surprise, as you know, forty-seven percent of workers pay no Federal Income Tax. Why would you care?

Greed-S.jpg
Means nothing since doubling the minimum wage means more people would be paying income tax.

And, I have never understood why right wingers complain about taxes when according to them, the Poor can simply get a better job to lift themselves out of poverty by making more money to where paying taxes doesn't bother them.

Do you have the same job you had in high school for the same wage?

Do people remain in the same tax bracket all their lives or do they move up and down the brackets?

Think. What single entity benefits from an increase in the minimum wage?
Women for one. Government for another (due to more tax revenue).

Contrary to popular conceptions, the majority of minimum wage earners are not teenagers. Roughly 80 percent are adults—almost two-thirds are women—and most are working to support their families. Women of color are overrepresented in minimum wage jobs—while they make up 17 percent of the population, they are almost a quarter of minimum wage workers. So it’s no surprise that women of color experience higher poverty rates and higher wage gaps than their white counterparts.--https://womenemployed.org/minimum-wage/

Why did you refuse to answer any of my questions? Women benefited most the years' President Trump was in office along with other minorities and low-income workers.

Your far left-wing source posts no sources for the figures they throw out.

Demographics%20%202020-11-20-XL.jpg

Please show us where the poverty rate for women or anyone dropped below what it was in 2019 anywhere in this chart.

2021-02-04%20Poverty%20Level%202019%2010%205-L.jpg

Poverty - USAFacts

How are your questions relevant on the macro level?

Labor force participation was increasing regardless. And, any democrat would have done better than Your guy.
Screenshot from 2021-02-19 07-11-02.png

Barely 10 years past the end of the Great Recession in 2009, the U.S. economy is doing well on several fronts. The labor market is on a job-creating streak that has rung up more than 110 months straight of employment growth, a record for the post-World War II era. The unemployment rate in November 2019 was 3.5%, a level not seen since the 1960s. Gains on the jobs front are also reflected in household incomes, which have rebounded in recent years.

But not all economic indicators appear promising. Household incomes have grown only modestly in this century, and household wealth has not returned to its pre-recession level. Economic inequality, whether measured through the gaps in income or wealth between richer and poorer households, continues to widen.--https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/

How are your questions relevant on the macro level?

Labor force participation was increasing regardless. And, any democrat would have done better than Your guy.View attachment 459082
205Barely 10 years past the end of the Great Recession in 2009, the U.S. economy is doing well on several fronts. The labor market is on a job-creating streak that has rung up more than 110 months straight of employment growth, a record for the post-World War II era. The unemployment rate in November 2019 was 3.5%, a level not seen since the 1960s. Gains on the jobs front are also reflected in household incomes, which have rebounded in recent years.

But not all economic indicators appear promising. Household incomes have grown only modestly in this century, and household wealth has not returned to its pre-recession level. Economic inequality, whether measured through the gaps in income or wealth between richer and poorer households, continues to widen.--https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/

What a ridiculous, ignorant, DESPERATE effort. You posted the wrong chart. You posted a chart showing the number of workers in the LABOR FORCE, NOT THE LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION RATE!

NEWS FLASH! WOW, THE LABOR FORCE INCREASED! WOW, THE POPULATION INCREASED! NEWS FLASH!

Here is a chart that is actually relevant concerning the population and working force.

2021-02-19-XL.jpg

As even you can easily see, the labor participation rate began to increase only during the administration of President Trump. The rate dropped precipitously after President Biden's business partner, the Communist Chinese, unleashed COVID-19 on the world.

Last edited:
DBlack, you’re entirely incorrect. Every increase of the federal minimum wage is an increase of that rate’s purchasing power. That’s its purpose and justification.

To the extent of its purchasing power, the federal minimum wage rate reduces the incidences and poverty among the working poor. Permitting the rate’s purchasing power to lag the U.S. dollar’s inflation rate reduces the minimum rate’s ability to accomplish its purpose. Respectfully, Supposn

Show us. You can't because it is entirely false. Why lie?

There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a federal minimum wage. Our country is far too diverse and the individual cities and states can do as they wish.

The rate of poverty in 2019 was 10.5 percent. In 2016, that rate was 12.7 percent. Had there been an increase in the minimum wage? No, of course not. In 1967, when President Johnson's failed "War on Poverty" went into effect, the unemployment rate was 14.7 percent which is not, you'll agree, a significant decrease to 12.7 percent. That after spending trillions and trillions of dollars and federal minimum wage increases.

Is that why the federal minimum wage stagnated for over a decade?

It proves why a federal minimum wage is useless.

Real median household income in the United States in 2010 was $49,445

In 2020, $68,400.00 was the median household income in the United States.

How do those facts support raising the minimum wage?
Because it is misleading. Income and earnings are two different things.

Between 2017 and 2018, the real median earnings of all workers increased 3.4 percent to $40,247 (Figure 4 and Table A-6).

The real median earnings are equivalent to approximately $20 per hour yet the (federal) minimum wage was not adjusted for around a decade.

DBlack, you’re entirely incorrect. Every increase of the federal minimum wage is an increase of that rate’s purchasing power. That’s its purpose and justification.

To the extent of its purchasing power, the federal minimum wage rate reduces the incidences and poverty among the working poor. Permitting the rate’s purchasing power to lag the U.S. dollar’s inflation rate reduces the minimum rate’s ability to accomplish its purpose. Respectfully, Supposn

Show us. You can't because it is entirely false. Why lie?

There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a federal minimum wage. Our country is far too diverse and the individual cities and states can do as they wish.

The rate of poverty in 2019 was 10.5 percent. In 2016, that rate was 12.7 percent. Had there been an increase in the minimum wage? No, of course not. In 1967, when President Johnson's failed "War on Poverty" went into effect, the unemployment rate was 14.7 percent which is not, you'll agree, a significant decrease to 12.7 percent. That after spending trillions and trillions of dollars and federal minimum wage increases.

Is that why the federal minimum wage stagnated for over a decade?

It proves why a federal minimum wage is useless.

Real median household income in the United States in 2010 was $49,445

In 2020, $68,400.00 was the median household income in the United States.

How do those facts support raising the minimum wage?
Because it is misleading. Income and earnings are two different things.

Between 2017 and 2018, the real median earnings of all workers increased 3.4 percent to $40,247 (Figure 4 and Table A-6).

The real median earnings are equivalent to approximately $20 per hour yet the (federal) minimum wage was not adjusted for around a decade.

You must be drunk or stoned. You are making no sense, which on its own, is typical. Seek help!

I compared MEDIAN income with MEDIAN income. You then responded by saying that "income and earnings are two different things". Say what?

Then you went off on a rant about the Labor Participation Rate, referring to and posting a detailed chart about the LABOR FORCE. Two radically different things. When called to your attention, typical of the far-left, you answered a question that had not been asked.

I posted the link. Real income and real earnings are very much different and you were using them to "mislead" about any need to increase the minimum wage. Real median earnings are approximately equivalent to @20 an hour while real median income is approximately equivalent to $35 per hour. Yet, you allege there is no need to raise the minimum wage.

And, the labor force participation rate is a subset of the labor force not a completely different metric. How was I trying to mislead you by posting the relevant information regarding job creation for 110 months straight? And, why does it show the drop in labor force participation when the population and the labor force by extension, must still be growing with the population?

Forum List

Back