I build myself

I'm an old man, but I built myself a log house myself.
Now, I'm building "some structure" on my land.
Can you determine what it will be?

:04:

View attachment 215488

those timbers are massive by today's standard; did they come from an old barn?

Pretty cool idea to use the two timbers bolted on to either side of the centrally/interior located support timbers to make what is basically a 'mortise & tenon' connection for the over head timbers. That is pretty slick.

Nice work & thanks for sharing!!

Thank you, but I did not understand what you mean?
Here
- the lower frame of the frame structure
- fastenings and connections
- "slanting strips" are not installed
- waterproofing

31610.jpg

View attachment 215488

Pretty cool idea to use the two timbers bolted on to either side of the centrally/interior located support timbers to make what is basically a 'mortise & tenon' connection for the over head timbers. That is pretty slick.

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504
Why did you knotch the inside of the lag bolts...........I understand knotching the outside to give the runner extra support, but why knotch the inner side...............

View attachment 215488

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504
Why did you knotch the inside of the lag bolts...........I understand knotching the outside to give the runner extra support, but why knotch the inner side...............
Yeah there's a lot going on there I don't really get...

View attachment 215488

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504
You mean like there is no solid foundation?

Concrete blocks on gravel is no way to build anything

View attachment 215488

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504
Only thing I can see there is that he's gonna put in more runners later...........predrill some more runners and slide them onto the lag bolts...........but he's using 6 x 6's notched for support runners......within only a couple of feet from each other.......which would only make sense if he's planning on storing some very heavy stuff on that side..........

You could do this with 6 x 6's and notch 3 sides and only use one for the outer wall.......

On the ceiling joists ....you could notch 2 sides and wouldn't need the extra wood on the outside and do the same thing....

He's putting 4 x 8's across the main crest......then cutting them to a pitch......You cold just span it with a 2 x 10 on both sides and then run roof rafters off of that...........

View attachment 215488

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504

He did concrete forms into the ground..........to the frost line......which we can't see........then anchored some 2 x's into it....and did a square frame on the concrete post on the edges of the concrete pour..........

88481279_1.jpg

9618ae18-5130-4525-9958-12ac33b2c164_1000.jpg

You can put those in during the concrete pour and put the 6 x 6 directly on the center of the concrete pour.

form_with_bell_footing_400x300.jpg

Concrete footer with a sona tube.........You can attach footer to it............need to did a bigger hole........set the sona tubes with tech screws.............Set them in the ground..........get your elevation and use a water level.....laser level or a level line to get all the heights uniform.............Then carefully cut the height with a razor knife...........

Observatory3_3182.jpg

rebar cage for strength.............use tie wire for attaching.....wrap the rebar around the right sized tree for the rings. LOL

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504

He did concrete forms into the ground..........to the frost line......which we can't see........then anchored some 2 x's into it....and did a square frame on the concrete post on the edges of the concrete pour..........

88481279_1.jpg

You can put those in during the concrete pour and put the 6 x 6 directly on the center of the concrete pour.

No he said they were concrete blocks on a "clay pillow" Post #18

And if you don't sink a footing below the frost line it is worthless

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504

88481279_1.jpg

No he said they were concrete blocks on a "clay pillow" Post #18

And if you don't sink a footing below the frost line it is worthless
The pictures aren't blocks ..........They are a square frame footing but you can't see if he dug it out and set the concrete below the frost line.........

Your right .........if you don't dig out a hole below the frost line......and then and form and set it.........Yeah......it be worthless.

Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504

88481279_1.jpg

A nightmare
. If you do this, the wooden rack will rot.

There is no waterproofing, no ventilation ..
As you know, concrete has the property of "pulling water from the ground," so any wooden structure that is put on concrete must be waterproofed. !!!!
This is protection from groundwater

In addition, one should never allow water after rain to accumulate under a wooden structure
This is protection from atmospheric water

Finally.. Any wooden structure should be located not lower than the height of the snow cover. Approximately 50 cm. This rule is leveled, if you lay rubble .

.. GOST (Government standard) of the USSR "storage of softwood" My photo shows how to do it.

Last edited:
Here
- waterproofing

View attachment 215504

88481279_1.jpg

A nightmare
. If you do this, the wooden rack will rot.

There is no waterproofing, no ventilation ..
As you know, concrete has the property of "pulling water from the ground," so any wooden structure that is put on concrete must be waterproofed. !!!!
This is protection from groundwater In addition, one should never allow water after rain to accumulate under a wooden structure This is protection from atmospheric water Finally.. Any wooden structure should be located not lower than the height of the snow cover. Approximately 50 cm. This rule is leveled, if you lay rubble .

.. GOST (Government standard) of the USSR "storage of softwood" My photo shows how to do it.
That's why they use sill plates and weatherproofing ..........LOL

You are using felt.........LOL

post 41 you can see the lines of block...........and you can see the concrete bubbled as well.........shaken and not stirred ............LOL

Air pockets in the pour.

Look at post 41 picture.............there ya go........air pockets in the pour........look closely and see the seams........

Observatory3_3182.jpg

rebar cage for strength.............use tie wire for attaching.....wrap the rebar around the right sized tree for the rings. LOL

Concrete footer with a sona tube.........You can attach footer to it............need to did a bigger hole........set the sona tubes with tech screws.............Set them in the ground..........get your elevation and use a water level.....laser level or a level line to get all the heights uniform.............Then carefully cut the height with a razor knife...........
Observatory3_3182.jpg

Bullshit.
Enough to deceive the people!
You are not a builder ...

Observatory3_3182.jpg

Observatory3_3182.jpg

Bullshit.
Enough to deceive the people!
You are not a builder ...
I'm an electrician...........been around construction sites for a long time...........we use steel and concrete all the time...........

But my field is fully automated electrical systems in a Industrial environment.........

I never said I built houses for a living..........but .......I could do it if I had to.........and there is nothing wrong with what I just showed for a shed............

You are in here trying to prompt an argument.........I'm just playing the devils advocate......

Now why are there bubbles in your concrete pour.............LOL

Nice work on that log cabin ..........I would never attempt that........Well done........

I only pulled your chain because.........well.......in the first post you kinda implied ........anti American sentiment.......

I hope your Garage loft turns out well and lasts a long time.......

:rock:

New Topics

Forum List

Back