Huckabee on Obama

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
My respect for Huckabee continues to grow, weird but like Jimmy Carter he is a moral man and I'm not sure what America really thinks of moral people.

"Huckabee went much further. "I grew up in a very segregated South. And I think that you have to cut some slack . . . I'm probably the only conservative in America who's going to say something like this, but I'm just telling you. We've got to cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told you have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie; you have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant and you can't sit out there with everyone else; there's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office; here's where you sit on the bus.

"And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment and you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had a more, more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me."

John McCain, the assured Republican nominee resisted the attempt by FOX News's Sean Hannity to whip Wright's remarks into a pyre for Obama. McCain said coolly, "I do know Senator Obama. He does not share those views . . . I've had endorsements of some people that I didn't share their views . . . My life has been one of reconciliation. If people want to put their past behind them, to apologize, to say, 'Look, we made mistakes in the past but we want to move forward,' I respect that and embrace it. Because all of us have made serious mistakes in our lives and I am certainly one of them.""

From The black man's burden by Derrick Z. Jackson

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/03/25/the_black_mans_burden/

He didn't say Wright saw them, he said he experienced them. I don't think he did. He grew up in Philly, in Germantown, and from what I understand he had a pretty different experience than someone growing up in the segregated south, as Huckabee described it.

wow, I grew up in Germantown too at least for a while. But he is Black and I saw these things in the South while in the service, so you cannot be sure he didn't experience them too. The point is still racism.

I don't doubt that. I just think Huckabee was exaggerating Wright's experience.

Tell me, does it bother you that Obama condemned Wright's remarks?

No, as I am unsure how far the good reverend went and politicians have to remain neutral. Remember any politician who shouts is immediately labeled crazy.

If Huckabee saw them why would Wright not see them too?

Huckabee didn't "see" anything but his own white-pecker guilt and an opportunity to parade around as Mr. Sensitive White Guy. Fuck him. Whites who trash their own race and worship another to gain popularity are pathetic. Too bad that describes most white male Republicans today.

Forum List

Back