HSC Invests $7M to Research Why African Americans Are at Greater Risk of Alzheimer’s

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Fort Worth’s University of North Texas Health Science Center has today announced a $7 million investment to research why African Americans are at a greater biological risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Long-term, the goal is to develop new treatments that can prevent the deadly disease.

With the capital, 1,000 North Texas-based African Americans over 50 will be recruited to participate in HSC’s HABLE (The Health and Aging Brain among Latino Elders) study.

HABLE is a five-year project created by Sid O’Bryant, professor and executive director of the HSC Institute for Translational Research in 2017 with a $12 million National Institutes of Health grant. It is now co-led by O’Bryant and Leigh Johnson, associate professor and associate director of the institute.

In September, Dr. O’Bryant and Dr. Johnson received $45 million from the National Institute on Aging to expand their research into Alzheimer’s disease and how it affects Mexican Americans.

The new investment builds on that—and means African Americans will join Mexican Americans and non-Latino Whites in the HABLE study.

Good! If only people worked as hard and fast on this as they do on COVID0-19 then we might get some treatment and answers all around.

Gee, it couldn't be the pot smoking & other such mood altering chemicals now could it? :dunno:

Now can I have 7 million dollars?

Fort Worth’s University of North Texas Health Science Center has today announced a $7 million investment to research why African Americans are at a greater biological risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Long-term, the goal is to develop new treatments that can prevent the deadly disease.

With the capital, 1,000 North Texas-based African Americans over 50 will be recruited to participate in HSC’s HABLE (The Health and Aging Brain among Latino Elders) study.

HABLE is a five-year project created by Sid O’Bryant, professor and executive director of the HSC Institute for Translational Research in 2017 with a $12 million National Institutes of Health grant. It is now co-led by O’Bryant and Leigh Johnson, associate professor and associate director of the institute.

In September, Dr. O’Bryant and Dr. Johnson received $45 million from the National Institute on Aging to expand their research into Alzheimer’s disease and how it affects Mexican Americans.

The new investment builds on that—and means African Americans will join Mexican Americans and non-Latino Whites in the HABLE study.

Good! If only people worked as hard and fast on this as they do on COVID0-19 then we might get some treatment and answers all around.

be not optimistic ---IMHO Alzheimer's is not a viral
disease. (probably) As far as I can DISCERN--there is a gross confusion in the literature regarding the terms "ALZHEIMER'S DEMENTIA" which is a specific sickness -------and "DEMENTIA" which is diminished cognitive ability due to a HUGE MYRIAD of different reasons.---A person bearing the Dx "ALZHEIMER'S" is VERY VERY LIKELY to harbor lots of DIFFERENT reasons for cognitive decline. The situation is so HAZY that
doctors are often reduced to the diagnosis of
"dementia of the alzheimer's type"

I'm not optimistic. I'm not even an idealist. I do know that the majority of medication/treatment have been designed for the average white male. I don't think it's a muhahaha white privilege thing. It has been like that forever. It was like that for women as well. There are different types of dementia and some is hereditary. And...........there is such a thing as gene editing. The more knowledge that can be gained of different populations the better the treatment.

One hopes.

It's 7 million more than it was. It's added to the $45 million in September and it's built on top of that.

Forum List

Back