CDZ How we isolate ourselves and each other -- another example

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I was watching a lecture by psychologist Steve Pinker (one of my favorites) and he made a point that really hit me. One of the many drivers of our increasing division is the internet, obviously, and he pointed one example out that hadn't occurred to me: Marketing & Content Algorithms.

These are the software programs that watch what you're shopping for, how you shop, and the online content you consume. Then, as you're on the internet, many of the advertisements you see are based on what the program figures are your interests.

So, what they essentially end up doing is just feeding you more and more of what you like, including "news" and "information", and less of what you don't like. That can include "news" and "information". Pinker mentions that as one of the contributing factors to our isolation from each other.

Thoughts?

I was watching a lecture by psychologist Steve Pinker (one of my favorites) and he made a point that really hit me. One of the many drivers of our increasing division is the internet, obviously, and he pointed one example out that hadn't occurred to me: Marketing & Content Algorithms.

These are the software programs that watch what you're shopping for, how you shop, and the online content you consume. Then, as you're on the internet, many of the advertisements you see are based on what the program figures are your interests.

So, what they essentially end up doing is just feeding you more and more of what you like, including "news" and "information", and less of what you don't like. That can include "news" and "information". Pinker mentions that as one of the contributing factors to our isolation from each other.

Thoughts?

obviously true.

although there were times, i was like, wtf is that doing in my feed?

oh, and there is no excuse for the black activist crap in my amazon page (since floyd) no way that was from looking at my past purchases and thinking i wanted to see that. indeed, i was able to find a button to dismiss it, and it came back.

Thoughts?

Computer programs definitely reinforce Liberalism. The ads that I see are online for companies like Walmart and that reflect what I've been looking at. On the other hand, our liberal friends who browse a lot on gay cruising sites, see ads for gay related products and services. Gives them the impression that everyone is into it.

Thoughts?

More crap.

Frankly, if you look at my Facebook or LinkedIn feeds, you can tell I'm pretty progressive, but I STILL end up getting a bunch of garbage from right wing websites... They really don't distinguish between left and right, they just throw everything under the general heading of "politics".

Thoughts?

More crap.

Frankly, if you look at my Facebook or LinkedIn feeds, you can tell I'm pretty progressive, but I STILL end up getting a bunch of garbage from right wing websites... They really don't distinguish between left and right, they just throw everything under the general heading of "politics".
Oh please.....way fakebbok is banning people I doubt you see anything but reinforcement

Thoughts?
Any women want to help me practice full body massage and help me get really really Good at it? Let's not isolate ourselves.

Thoughts?
Any women want to help me practice full body massage and help me get really really Good at it? Let's not isolate ourselves.
Thinking out of the box, that's very good.

Thoughts?

More crap.

Oh please.....way fakebbok is banning people I doubt you see anything but reinforcement
Same with Twitter.

Thoughts?

It’s much more insidious than that. What they are really doing is training you on how to think and programming you with what they want you to desire as a consumer. Studies have shown that the actual physical brain is being altered by our increasingly common interface with technology including such algorithms. Of course, this is merely another step in our ongoing evolution.

Thoughts?
Algorithms do not influence intelligent shoppers, just dimwitz that click the shit. When I shop an item I get this garbage after I already bought so the software loses

The internet, among many technologies, is detrimental to society as a whole.
It probably influences weak people the most, though.

Have most online ads blocked and reflexively ignore the ones I do see.

Expose myself to the "news" from the usual suspects and rotate between asking myself "gee, I wonder if that's really true?" and "shit, I cant believe that they're expecting anyone to swallow that".

Maybe I'm just jaded, but there it is.

but I STILL end up getting a bunch of garbage from right wing websites...

That means The Internet still has hopes for you. Give in to it.

WhoppingDapperCob-size_restricted.gif

Forum List

Back