Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Just as it should be.

In the aftermath of last year’s aborted military campaign against Syria, two senators want to rewrite the rules that have — in theory at least — governed the way the United States has used military force for the last forty years.

Following the chemical attack in Syria that killed hundreds, the United States for a time seemed on the verge of launching military action against Syria to punish its unleashing of such deadly weapons. That original determination to retaliate against Syria for crossing President Obama’s so-called “red-line” in turn launched a debate over whether the president had the authority to take such action without Congressional approval. That’s where the recently introduced War Powers Consultation Act comes in.

The new legislation — which Sens. Tim Kaine (D-VA) and John McCain (R-AZ) introduced on Thursday — would replace the War Powers Act of 1973 in its entirely, enacting a new set of rules to, in the senators belief, better keep the president accountable when it comes to the use of force. Rather than only having to notify Congress after launching military action, Kaine and McCain want the force presidents to consult with legislators prior to sending U.S. soldiers, sailors, and pilots into harm’s way
Under current law, the president has to notify Congress whenever placing forces in areas where “imminent” hostilities are likely, and is given a sixty-day window to conduct the operation absent Congressional approval and another thirty-days allotted towards withdrawal. The new proposal would reduce that autonomy, requiring the Executive Branch to “consult with Congress before ordering deployment into a ‘significant armed conflict,’ or, combat operations lasting, or expected to last, more than seven days.”

How Two Senators Want To Change The Way The U.S. Wages War | ThinkProgress

I would like to see how the legislation is written, but I like the idea.

The rules have been rewritten. It's Vietnam revisited where the elitist democrat administration ignores the body bags and pretends that everything is fine while Troops risk Court Martial if they accidentally kill a citizen when the freaking enemy consists of non-uniformed citizens. Crazy anti-war protesters were all over George Bush but they faded away when Hussein was elected and the Military mission degenerates. The enemy in Afghanistan has managed to force the greatest Military in human history to wage war by rules set by 6th century fanatics. Do the freaking job or get the hell out.

Yep, it should be difficult to engage in war. I'd like to skip some of these wars for other people's freedom that is for sure. We need a little more isolationasim IMHO. And that goes double for foreign aid.

Forum List

Back