How to mitigate future risks of global pandemics impacting US?

LeftofLeft

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2011
In 7 short months, we will be at a cross-roads as to which direction we are going to take this country. This pandemic has made me re-think our policies.

- US is too dependent on global supply chain. MORE manufacturing and cultivation of raw or synthetic materials NEEDS to be done here.

- Immigration: More screening and vetting needs to be done before letting people in. Illegal immigration needs to be substantially reduced. Right now, New Yorkers are being profiled in other states to make certain they are quarantined. I donā€™t think the American people are in any mood for debates over similar policies when it comes to non citizens. That is, the bullshit racism and xenophobe charges.

- National BioDefense: instead of lying about Trump eliminating pandemic teams and not being truthful that it was consolidation due NSC bloat, why donā€™t we come up with what a model of what it is supposed to look like.

In 7 short months, we will be at a cross-roads as to which direction we are going to take this country. This pandemic has made me re-think our policies.

- US is too dependent on global supply chain. MORE manufacturing and cultivation of raw or synthetic materials NEEDS to be done here.

- Immigration: More screening and vetting needs to be done before letting people in. Illegal immigration needs to be substantially reduced. Right now, New Yorkers are being profiled in other states to make certain they are quarantined. I donā€™t think the American people are in any mood for debates over similar policies when it comes to non citizens. That is, the bullshit racism and xenophobe charges.

- National BioDefense: instead of lying about Trump eliminating pandemic teams and not being truthful that it was consolidation due NSC bloat, why donā€™t we come up with what a model of what it is supposed to look like.

Unfortunately, with supply, plant, and labor costs, that's not going to happen. You might be able to bring a few things back but unless you are going to mandate people work for slave labor wages and that companies make little to no profit and penalize them with heavy taxing and fines, this country won't be a manufacturing powerhouse again.

Immigration is what it always had been. In large part, a pool of people for businesses to draw on for cheap labor. The lion share of immigrants don't come here to suck off our government assistance, they come here to escape the miserable situations they were in and make a better life for themselves and their families. And they contribute. This country was built on immigration. I'd appreciate ANY debate on immigration. Unfortunately, it appears no one on either side wants to have a debate.

I hope this pandemic makes us re-assess our priorities as a nation but I'm not holding my breath. Whether you like it or not, Trump did these things. Gutting the government programs that could help. Replacing competent individuals with the yes people that bowed down to him. All of which had the effect of kneecapping the response. Then doubled down on inaction by campaigning, denying, and just flat out ignoring the growing virus threat. All the deflection in the world won't change that.

- US is too dependent on global supply chain. MORE manufacturing and cultivation of raw or synthetic materials NEEDS to be done here

People bring in the virus, not goods. It would have no effect on current spread of virus.

Illegal immigration is insignificant compared to the legal movement of individuals moving in and out of our country and would have no effect.

I believe we actually did that.

And they contribute. This country was built on immigration. I'd appreciate ANY debate on immigration. Unfortunately, it appears no one on either side wants to have a debate.

There really is no substantive debate to be had on immigration as Lefties have completely twisted things at the root of it all.
Good Americans firmly believe that We The People should be afforded the right to decide who traverses our borders and joins us in elevating America....Lefties believe ANYBODY ā€œseeking a better life for themselves and their familiesā€ should have the right to invade our country....Lefties hate our Declaration Of Independence.
How do you reason with the unreasonable?

Last edited:
These things have been happening all through human existence ... for the first 199,800 years or so, travel was very difficult and so transmission of these viruses were confined to a small population ...

What's changed is that world-wide travel is common now, scheduled airline flights between New York and New Zealand ... with Congress bailing out the airline industry, we can expect this to happen again ... maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but someday this will happen again ... a deadly virus' best friend, 200 people confined in a small space with an infected and contagious individual ... not just one confined space, but thousands every day all over the world ...

There's many better reasons to reduce our fossil fuel consumption than a slight rise in world temperatures ... eliminating unnecessary travel (and the associated vectoring of deadly pathogens) is one ...

This would be recessionary, and it would be a permanent reduction in production, no bouncing back ... the alternative is what we're experiencing now, yes a recession, but with all expectations of a recovery perhaps in short order ... which is best for the most number of people? ...

... or just let the gubbermint mother us ... "wash your hands" ...

- US is too dependent on global supply chain. MORE manufacturing and cultivation of raw or synthetic materials NEEDS to be done here

People bring in the virus, not goods. It would have no effect on current spread of virus.

Illegal immigration is insignificant compared to the legal movement of individuals moving in and out of our country and would have no effect.

A supply chain dependent on foreign nations puts us at overall risk. Disease is just a part of it. All the more reason to rebalance that risk.

Unfortunately, with supply, plant, and labor costs, that's not going to happen. You might be able to bring a few things back but unless you are going to mandate people work for slave labor wages and that companies make little to no profit and penalize them with heavy taxing and fines, this country won't be a manufacturing powerhouse again.

Immigration is what it always had been. In large part, a pool of people for businesses to draw on for cheap labor. The lion share of immigrants don't come here to suck off our government assistance, they come here to escape the miserable situations they were in and make a better life for themselves and their families. And they contribute. This country was built on immigration. I'd appreciate ANY debate on immigration. Unfortunately, it appears no one on either side wants to have a debate.

I hope this pandemic makes us re-assess our priorities as a nation but I'm not holding my breath. Whether you like it or not, Trump did these things. Gutting the government programs that could help. Replacing competent individuals with the yes people that bowed down to him. All of which had the effect of kneecapping the response. Then doubled down on inaction by campaigning, denying, and just flat out ignoring the growing virus threat. All the deflection in the world won't change that.

Mechanization and robot-ization it's happening already in China. Robots work just as cheaply here as they do overseas.

A supply chain dependent on foreign nations puts us at overall risk. Disease is just a part of it. All the more reason to rebalance that risk.

Not as much as people want us to believe. We need very little manufacturing capacity to cover just the essentials.

And they contribute. This country was built on immigration. I'd appreciate ANY debate on immigration. Unfortunately, it appears no one on either side wants to have a debate.

There really is no substantive debate to be had on immigration as Lefties have completely twisted things at the root of it all.
Good Americans firmly believe that We The People should be afforded the right to decide who traverses our borders and joins us in elevating America....Lefties believe ANYBODY ā€œseeking a better life for themselves and their familiesā€ should have the right to invade our country....Lefties hate our Declaration Of Independence.

That's because Righties just come off as bigoted and xenophobic. Good Americans? You mean white Americans. Honestly, just say what you mean. Again, most immigrants are coming here to find a better life. And since we don't heavily fine and penalize those good right leaning corporations who hire them, the current system will continue despite best efforts at trying to wall the country off. A discussion on immigration is warranted on both sides.

Reason with the unreasonable? We have a reality TV game show host in the White House. You tell me.

I agree with things like medical supplies and medicine itself. These things need to be made locally and the labor cost for most of these is small a they are near 100% automated. I could not care less who makes my phone or TV.

I agree about illegal immigration, but in order for that to work we need a coherent guest worker program so industries that need the labor can get it legally. I am not sure how screening legal immigrants helps to slow a pandemic like this.

one thing that this has proven, we are woefully unprepared for a major bio-attack. That needs to be fixed very quickly.

That's because Righties just come off as bigoted and xenophobic. Good Americans? You mean white Americans. Honestly, just say what you mean. Again, most immigrants are coming here to find a better life. And since we don't heavily fine and penalize those good right leaning corporations who hire them, the current system will continue despite best efforts at trying to wall the country off. A discussion on immigration is warranted on both sides.

Reason with the unreasonable? We have a reality TV game show host in the White House. You tell me.

You think itā€™s ā€œbigoted and xenophobicā€ to expect that we rigorously and aggressively defend our right to sovereignty?
You think only white Americans can be good Americans?
You think only white Americans think America should remain a sovereign nation?
You think those seeking ā€œa better lifeā€ should have the right to shit on Americans and our laws?
You have a reality TV game show host in the White House for one reason....Because no politician had/has the balls to firmly address the issue of MEXICAN immigration and the mass degradation caused by it.

Forum List

Back