How to create a budget.

I took the 2013 White House budget,
E-Book | The White House
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d43CRg1GwhUfZlA&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&cad=rja
and put each department listed, total budget, and the amount changed over 2012 budget. I left out all other information which might be important but how would I know. I will try to find the numbers in the House budget so a comparison can be made. The sum of all departments listed is $1269.349B or about $1.27Tor $1.27 x 10^12
(for the those who know my document program kept crashing so I did this in gvim :))

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
$23B, -3%, -$700

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
$8B, +5%, +$380M

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B
achieve $486.9 billion in savings by 2021.

NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE PROGRAM
$52.6B

OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS
$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
$69.8B, +2.5 percent, +$1.7B

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
$27.2B, +3.2

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
$76.4B, +$0.3 billion

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
$39.5B, -0.5%, -$191M

DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
$44.8B, +3.2%, +$1.4B

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
$11.4B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
$27.1B, -0.4%

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
$12B, -slight

DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
$51.6B, +1.6%, +$0.8B

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
$74B, +2%, +$1.4 billion

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
$14B, -2.7%

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
$64B, +4.5

CORPS OF ENGINEERS—CIVIL WORKS
$4.7B, -5.4%

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
$8.3B, -1.2%, -$105M

NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
$17.7B, -0.3 percent, -$59M

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
$7.4B, +$340M

SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
$949M, +3%, +$32M

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
$11.7B, +slight

CORPORATION FOR NATIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
$1.1B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B

$52.6B

$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Looking at this is disturbing, I mean most of it I find disturbing but this section in particular. All that money spent on war is so crazy, what a waste. I think that public education should be switched over to a voucher system but then triple the education budget.

I like that "OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS"

A couple days or so I watched Panetta and Dempsey sit at a table and said that they had created a budget for Defense Department which took a heck of a lot of money out of it. The amount ended up being the same after 10 years as what the sequester would do.

I was looking over the Simpson-Bowles report. They have a lot of recommendations but I don't think it really translated into how one would create a budget. The panel was economists when it should have been accountants. I think what really needs to happen is a congressional hearing and bring in people like Paul Krugman. There are some really smart people who think about this problem all the time who are really smart but may not be buddy buddy with someone on the committee and not going to say what they want to hear. One issue with that however is Simpson-Bowles took seven months and we have about two. Also have each person who summits a budget for a department come in front of the committee and defend exactly how much money they want and what they are going to do with it. You want 525.5B for defense? Why? You really need that much? You better tell me our nation will be overrun by the Hun if you don't get it. How much do you want for education? 69.8B! Are you crazy. What in the world would you do with all that money? Educate our children for a better future you say? Well, have 80B and go do your job. Next. Want 52.6B for intel? What are you going to do with it? Won't tell me? Well I'm not going to tell you whether you can have it. :cool:

I took the 2013 White House budget,
E-Book | The White House
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d43CRg1GwhUfZlA&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&cad=rja
and put each department listed, total budget, and the amount changed over 2012 budget. I left out all other information which might be important but how would I know. I will try to find the numbers in the House budget so a comparison can be made. The sum of all departments listed is $1269.349B or about $1.27Tor $1.27 x 10^12
(for the those who know my document program kept crashing so I did this in gvim :))

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
$23B, -3%, -$700

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
$8B, +5%, +$380M

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B

$52.6B

$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
$27.2B, +3.2

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
$76.4B, +$0.3 billion

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
$39.5B, -0.5%, -$191M

DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
$44.8B, +3.2%, +$1.4B

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
$11.4B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
$27.1B, -0.4%

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
$12B, -slight

DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
$51.6B, +1.6%, +$0.8B

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
$74B, +2%, +$1.4 billion

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
$14B, -2.7%

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
$64B, +4.5

CORPS OF ENGINEERS—CIVIL WORKS
$4.7B, -5.4%

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
$8.3B, -1.2%, -$105M

NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
$17.7B, -0.3 percent, -$59M

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
$7.4B, +$340M

SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
$949M, +3%, +$32M

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
$11.7B, +slight

CORPORATION FOR NATIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
$1.1B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B

$52.6B

$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Looking at this is disturbing, I mean most of it I find disturbing but this section in particular. All that money spent on war is so crazy, what a waste. I think that public education should be switched over to a voucher system but then triple the education budget.

I like that "OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS"

A couple days or so I watched Panetta and Dempsey sit at a table and said that they had created a budget for Defense Department which took a heck of a lot of money out of it. The amount ended up being the same after 10 years as what the sequester would do.

I was looking over the Simpson-Bowles report. They have a lot of recommendations but I don't think it really translated into how one would create a budget. The panel was economists when it should have been accountants. I think what really needs to happen is a congressional hearing and bring in people like Paul Krugman. There are some really smart people who think about this problem all the time who are really smart but may not be buddy buddy with someone on the committee and not going to say what they want to hear. One issue with that however is Simpson-Bowles took seven months and we have about two. Also have each person who summits a budget for a department come in front of the committee and defend exactly how much money they want and what they are going to do with it. You want 525.5B for defense? Why? You really need that much? You better tell me our nation will be overrun by the Hun if you don't get it. How much do you want for education? 69.8B! Are you crazy. What in the world would you do with all that money? Educate our children for a better future you say? Well, have 80B and go do your job. Next. Want 52.6B for intel? What are you going to do with it? Won't tell me? Well I'm not going to tell you whether you can have it. :cool:

dear, this is called zero based budgeting as opposed to baseline budgeting. Starting from zero is obviously opposed by Democrats since they want all the personal bailouts and the vote they bring to be permanent!!

dear, this is called zero based budgeting as opposed to baseline budgeting. Starting from zero is obviously opposed by Democrats since they want all the personal bailouts and the vote they bring to be permanent!!

We can get back to that but first please answer me this question. What does a dollar figure for 'Global War on Terrorism' refer to?

We can get back to that but first please answer me this question. What does a dollar figure for 'Global War on Terrorism' refer to?

dear its not important!! What is important is to establish a process through a budget cap or Balanced Budget Amendment so there would be some organization or discipline to the process

Just got done watching the 1 hour 21 minutes of the RULES COMMITTEE debate of HR 325. That was the three month debt ceiling extension plus the 'no budget, no pay' addition. Although this bill has gone from the House, to the Senate, and signed by the President I hope that review of this process will give some insight into the process which is currently being followed.

The Democrats made several points in reference to how they were not part of the process. The bill was written up the day before, MLK's b-day, by the Republicans of the committee who were on retreat at the time. The bill was moved to the floor through a closed hearing. This means no changes or amendments could be made to the bill only an up or down vote after debate. There are guidelines for what can justify a closed hearing.
  • involves national security information
  • concerns committee personnel, management, or procedures
  • invades the personal privacy of an individual, damages an individual’s reputation or professional standing, or charges an individual with a crime or misconduct
  • identities or damage operations relating to law enforcement activities
  • discloses certain kinds of confidential financial or commercial information
  • divulges information that other laws or regulations require to be kept confidential

Since none of these seem to apply the reason hearing was closed is not evident. Why even have a hearing for over an hour on a bill that is unchangeable and will be voted on along party lines seems an waste of time.

The constitutionally of the bill was questioned as the 27th amendment states that congressional pay may not be modified within the current congressional session. When Rep. Candice Miller was asked about this. She replied that she had checked with the House Congressional attorney which had cleared it. Given that they wrote up the bill on a national holiday I am not sure how this was done. The only example given of precedence was that a cola allowance was added to the pay at one point. There is clearly a question of constitutionality with this bill that was not vetted properly.

Rep. Sessions, the Chairman of the Rules Committee, started the hearing by throwing softballs to Rep. Ryan who then proceed to knock them out of the park, so to speak. The lock step of the House Republicans seems not to have completely passed yet.

From this hearing I will draw a couple of conclusions. Not including any input from the other party does not give the best product. Constitutionality matters and to have no defense for a bill that clearly has Constitutional questionably should not be allowed. If this process is not modified I foresee the House budget proposal in serious jeopardy.

Quote of the hearing goes to Rep. Hasting, "If this was a contest for kicking the can down the road we would win the gold and the silver and the bronze and the aluminum."

Just got done watching the 1 hour 21 minutes of the RULES COMMITTEE debate of HR 325. ."

you'll will never be intelligent if you waste your time like that. Issue of history is liberalism versus conservatism. Ever spent 2 hours o that in your life????

You've got to be organized to be intelligent!!Sorry

Given the current state of affairs it is safe to say creating a budget is not an easy task. That is why I have created a thread to explore this very topic.

There has been many references to the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, or the Simpson-Bowles, report. The Commission included 18 members and one executive director appointed by the president. This included six members of the U.S. House of Representatives, and six members of the U.S. Senate. There were five public meeting in which 12 individuals testified and one public forum featuring nearly 90 groups and individuals. The report seems to be well referenced but not very well liked. I went through the bio's of the twelve individuals who gave testimony and only one person seemed to have a relevant background to the topic, Doug Elmendorf. Full list below at end of post.

This thread will be similar to my other threads in which I chase a topic hoping to gain a little insight, or at least a little argument. Please feel free to provide either.

1. Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve
2. Director Peter Orszag, Office of Management and Budget
3. Rudolph Penner, The Urban Institute
4. Robert Reischauer, frm. Congressional Budget Office
5. Carmen Reinhart, Professor, University of Maryland
6. Carlo Cottarell, International Monetary Fund
7. Doug Elmendorf, Director, Congressional Budget Office
8. Public Forum featuring nearly 90 groups and individuals
9. Maya MacGuineas, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
10. Barry Anderson, fmr. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
11. Paul Posner, George Mason University
12. Janet S. Laurent, Government Accountability Office
13. Patricia Dalton; Government Accountability Office

All they need to do is stop spending when the money is gone.

Just got done watching the 1 hour 21 minutes of the RULES COMMITTEE debate of HR 325. ."

you'll will never be intelligent if you waste your time like that. Issue of history is liberalism versus conservatism. Ever spent 2 hours o that in your life????

You've got to be organized to be intelligent!!Sorry

So the cleaner your desk is the smarter you are? There are some scientists out there who are real idiots.

dear its not important!! What is important is to establish a process through a budget cap or Balanced Budget Amendment so there would be some organization or discipline to the process

Hey, I got one. Instead of the sequester if the House and the Senate can not get a budget on the President's desk by the deadline, whatever that might be, the President's budget is automatic enacted. That would kick some Republicans in the butt.

Hey, I got one. Instead of the sequester if the House and the Senate can not get a budget on the President's desk by the deadline, whatever that might be, the President's budget is automatic enacted. That would kick some Republicans in the butt.

too stupid why would you want to kick them when they are the party of Jefferson. Why not move to Cuba???

No contribution from me beyond a note to say 'great thread'.

Despite some dark-nighters apparently delighted by their own lack of knowledge and/or ability to connect any dots.

OK, smart guy. I got another one for you. The House budget lists Social Security for 2013 as $813B with a 0 deviation from the President's budget. I included a image of the Social Security section of the President's budget. Nowhere in there I can see are numbers that can be added together or subtracted from one another in any meaningful way to get even close to 813. Explain that.

Attachments

• $ryan_s3.png
    $ryan_s3.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 66
  • $b_2013_ss.jpg
    $b_2013_ss.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
From time to time and more often then not the republicans get their balls broken over the use of the filibuster.

Yet the Democrats never seem to get shit about the fact that it's 4 years now without a budget.

From time to time and more often then not the republicans get their balls broken over the use of the filibuster.

Yet the Democrats never seem to get shit about the fact that it's 4 years now without a budget.

Show me a single budget the Republicans have produced. It's not Democrats and Republicans by the way. It's the U.S. Government.

I have been going through budget numbers from various sources and the more I look at this the more I come to believe:

We don't have a snowball's chance in Hell of passing a budget this year, maybe ever.

What has come to mind so far would be two options:
  1. Accept the President's proposal verbatim. The only modifications which could be offered would be specific, line item changes. These would be easy to understand and debated. Documents about 'what would be nice to do' are meaningless. Hard numbers are what make a budget.
  2. Each department would have the opportunity to either give a budget that would match the amount the sequester would cut over 10 years or get the sequester version. There are 15 executive departments. Defense claims to already have one.

Most of the time my posts are for other people's pleasure, or pain, but sometimes they are just kind of a placeholder for me to put things I might need to reference later. This is probably more the later but I still think it will do others as much good as it has done me. It is the most helpful article I think I have found on this subject. There are two video embedded in the article which are very informative.

How realistic is the Republican promise to balance the budget in 10 years? - Jan. 25, 2013
By Jeanne Sahadi @CNNMoney January 25, 2013: 11:23 AM ET

This explains a lot about Ryan's 'budget'. Is not actually a budget but a budget resolution, which is very different than an actual budget. The talking heads might want to clarify that. Probably won't however.
One reason it may be plausible is that the House will be putting out what's called a budget resolution, which sets broad targets for spending and revenue. It's the starting point in a months-long process and doesn't require lawmakers to offer all details on how to meet those targets.
Think the Republicans are going to go back and try to undo that tax increase on the rich?
Another reason: Ironically, given Republicans' opposition to raising taxes, Ryan's job will be made somewhat easier this year by the more than $600 billion in new revenue that will be raised thanks to the fiscal cliff deal that Congress passed over New Year's.
Not exactly sure what this means but it does seem meaningful so this is the next thread I pull on.
A balanced budget is virtually guaranteed to be a non-starter with Democrats. Their goal is to stabilize the debt by the end of the decade. That is, reduce annual deficits enough so that total public debt remains constant as a share of the economy.

Off topic but good info from the same page referenced above.
Economic Calendar
Next Update Latest Report
Jan. 29 - Home prices
Jan. 29 - Consumer confidence
Jan. 30 - GDP
Feb. 1 - Manufacturing
Feb. 1 - Jobs
Feb. 21- Inflation (CPI)

Forum List

Back