How much does race really separate us, genetically?

People might argue there are mental differences but idk if that is just because of culture. Sure, blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else, but why is the important question. Its not because of their melatonin.

So you think that you and Honey Boo Boo have a higher IQ than Condaleeza Rice?

I think that says more about you racists than anything else.
My post had nothing to do with racism, you closed minded prick. They GENERALLY have a lower IQ. That's fact, its not racism. Grow up.
A study I've read showed that Africans immigrating here now, have higher IQs than native african americans. Maybe that shows africans aren't genetically inferior but african americans are being oppressed to the point that their community can not reach its natural potential.
politics section?
Where should I have posted?
Indeed. That's EXACTLY what I am saying lol.
Not in politics. Maybe race relations? General discussion?
But but but.....for Lefties race is THE political issue!

LOL- you racists- as usual- you lose the argument and then are left with nothing more than your usual expletives.

Lets look at what you actually said

Sure, blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else,

Your statement is that blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else- presumably every non-black.

Not 'generally'.

So what you were saying is that you think that you and Honey Boo Boo have higher IQ's than Condeleeza Rice.

Now you have been called on it- you want to back peddle from what you said.

Figures.
He was referring to a well known sociological controversy, that has been discussed ad infinitum.

Race and intelligence - Wikipedia

Declaring that all blacks are more stupid than everyone else- is far different than acknowledging that there is a scientific controversy regarding race and IQ-a controversy that is far from resolved.

Hell there is far more scientific consensus regarding Global warming than Harley's claim that "blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else," but something tells me he doesn't believe inhuman caused global warming.

Well, I guess it is all in how you want to spin it. You would make a great commentator/liar on MSNBC.

This was the quote;
People might argue there are mental differences but idk if that is just because of culture. Sure, blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else, but why is the important question. Its not because of their melatonin.

How do you get "Declaring that all blacks are more stupid than everyone else"
from that?

I understand that to mean he is familiar with the information that is in that Wikiarticle that I posted. Added to that, you know as well as I, if folks limit their reading to sites like Gateway Pundit or Breitbart, which side of that controversy do you think they are going to continually be exposed to? Yet you want to blame them?

And your used handle is "Syriusly,"
]

Harley said "Sure, blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else,"

That is a blanket statement- that doesn't mean he is aware of a 'controversy'- it means he believes what he said to be a fact.

And he was the one who chose to bring he belief in his statement into this thread.

And I called him on it.
It's a valid call out. I let it slide as i belive TN is good hearted, maybe just a little misinformed. But to declare under any context that one race is inherently stronger or weaker in a specific category, is racist. Not all african americans are dumb nor are all whites smart. That is the essence of racism, thinking a race is inherently better or worse than another.
How is truth racist?

We have all heard it- Black people are this, jews are that, mexicans are rapists but-
How much does race really separate us, genetically?

"Scientists have long suspected that the racial categories recognized by society are not reflected on the genetic level.

But the more closely that researchers examine the human genome -- the complement of genetic material encased in the heart of almost every cell of the body -- the more most of them are convinced that the standard labels used to distinguish people by "race" have little or no biological meaning.

They say that while it may seem easy to tell at a glance whether a person is Caucasian, African or Asian, the ease dissolves when one probes beneath surface characteristics and scans the genome for DNA hallmarks of 'race.'"

"If you ask what percentage of your genes is reflected in your external appearance, the basis by which we talk about race, the answer seems to be in the range of .01 percent,"

"Dr. Venter and scientists at the National Institutes of Health recently announced that they had put together a draft of the entire sequence of the human genome, and the researchers had unanimously declared, there is only one race -- the human race."

Do Races Differ? Not Really, DNA Shows

Science disagrees.

Race Is Seen as Real Guide To Track Roots of Disease

"Challenging the widely held view that race is a ''biologically meaningless'' concept, a leading population geneticist says that race is helpful for understanding ethnic differences in disease and response to drugs.

The geneticist, Dr. Neil Risch of Stanford University, says that genetic differences have arisen among people living on different continents and that race, referring to geographically based ancestry, is a valid way of categorizing these differences.

Dr. Risch's position was prompted by an editorial last year in The New England Journal of Medicine asserting that '' 'race' is biologically meaningless,'' and one in Nature Genetics warning of the ''confusion and potential harmful effects of using 'race' as a variable in medical research.''

Dr. Risch's assertion, in a paper in the online journal Genome Biology, comes as researchers and physicians are trying to interpret the DNA data streaming from the Human Genome Project and to make sense of the fact that the pattern of data differs among ethnic groups.

Continue reading the main story

All humans have the bulk of their genetic heritage in common and possess the same set of genes. But because of mutations, or changes in DNA, each gene comes in several slightly different versions, and some of them are more common in one ethnic group than another. These genetic differences often have medical significance, since some occur among genes that affect susceptibility to disease and the response to drugs.

It has long been known that some diseases are not evenly distributed. For example, a mutation that causes hemochromatosis, a disorder of iron metabolism, is rare or absent among Indians and Chinese but occurs in 7.5 percent of Swedes. A common mutation that causes sickle cell anemia is prevalent among Africans and is thought to have originated among Bantu-speakers before the Bantu expansion 2,000 years ago.

Lactose intolerance, the loss of the ability to digest lactose after weaning, is the default condition of humankind but among Northern Europeans the ability is often retained into adulthood. The reason is a mutation that may have been favored among early cattle farmers.

The apparent correlation between race, genetic data and disease has prompted at least two schools of thought among biomedical researchers. One holds that race is so poorly defined that it is not a reliable biological concept and should be banished, if possible, from scientific vocabulary. This is the view espoused by The New England Journal of Medicine.

Many population geneticists, on the other hand, say it is essential to take race and ethnicity into account to understand each group's specific pattern of disease and to ensure that everyone shares equally in the expected benefits of genomic medicine."

There are obvious differences in the different races of our species. Hair, skin tone, facial features, shapes of body parts(Asian eyes) all kinds of stuff.
However, we are all humans, so physical features shouldn't make a damn.

That's the point of the article. Scientifically all differences are superficial having to do with appearance. So no, blacks don't have a lower IQ than everyone else, genetically.
But there is still differences.
Like I said, I don't think their lower iq has much to do with their race as it does culture.
differences in physical appearances that makes up about .01% of our genes.
Doesn't matter. We have 90% common DNA with cats. We have almost a 99% shared DNA with monkeys. Are we all monkeys and cats too?

Every white person on earth has a different DNA from me- and you(unless you are a genetic twin)- does that mean we are all different species?
Less than .01% when excluding factors like gender and body type.

"The fact that, given enough genetic data, individuals can be correctly assigned to their populations of origin is compatible with the observation that most human genetic variation is found within populations, not between them. It is also compatible with our finding that, even when the most distinct populations are considered and hundreds of loci are used, individuals are frequently more similar to members of other populations than to members of their own population. Thus, caution should be used when using geographic or genetic ancestry to make inferences about individual phenotypes."

Genetic Similarities Within and Between Human Populations

"The fact that, given enough genetic data, individuals can be correctly assigned to their populations of origin is compatible with the observation that most human genetic variation is found within populations, not between them. It is also compatible with our finding that, even when the most distinct populations are considered and hundreds of loci are used, individuals are frequently more similar to members of other populations than to members of their own population. Thus, caution should be used when using geographic or genetic ancestry to make inferences about individual phenotypes."

Genetic Similarities Within and Between Human Populations

Obviously when discussing groups, you are discussing groups, and not individuals.

THe vast majority of people in my city speak english. Indeed, you could probably safely assume that any random individual you met would speak english.

But still individual exceptions would occur.

If you've ever seen those ancestry commercials , we are all mixed up anyway .

Yes. Our real differences are superficial - no more consequential than hair or skin color.

We are what we learn to be but we can un-learn racism and mindless hatred. We are all members of the same race but we can choose NOT to be influenced and sustained by anger and hatred.

We can CHOOSE to be different, just as we can choose to find common ground.

Trump is working to take that choice away from us, just as surely as he is working to put our money in his pocket.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

There are obvious differences in the different races of our species. Hair, skin tone, facial features, shapes of body parts(Asian eyes) all kinds of stuff.
However, we are all humans, so physical features shouldn't make a damn.

That's the point of the article. Scientifically all differences are superficial having to do with appearance. So no, blacks don't have a lower IQ than everyone else, genetically.

This includes different brain size, and structure in Africans.

Smaller brains which are linked to less intelligence..

FuturePundit: Brain Gray Matter Size Correlated To Intelligence

Dolichocephalic skulls which are linked to less intelligence.

http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jdms/papers/Vol15-Issue 5/Version-5/A1505050104.pdf

This data shows that there's racial disparities in genes for intelligence.

IQ-Genes-Chart.png

But there is still differences.
Like I said, I don't think their lower iq has much to do with their race as it does culture.
differences in physical appearances that makes up about .01% of our genes.
Doesn't matter. We have 90% common DNA with cats. We have almost a 99% shared DNA with monkeys. Are we all monkeys and cats too?

Every white person on earth has a different DNA from me- and you(unless you are a genetic twin)- does that mean we are all different species?
Less than .01% when excluding factors like gender and body type.
that has to do with race or is that a characteristic of all humans?:itsok:

He was referring to a well known sociological controversy, that has been discussed ad infinitum.

Race and intelligence - Wikipedia

Declaring that all blacks are more stupid than everyone else- is far different than acknowledging that there is a scientific controversy regarding race and IQ-a controversy that is far from resolved.

Hell there is far more scientific consensus regarding Global warming than Harley's claim that "blacks have a lower IQ than everyone else," but something tells me he doesn't believe inhuman caused global warming.

Well, I guess it is all in how you want to spin it. You would make a great commentator/liar on MSNBC.

This was the quote;

from that?

I understand that to mean he is familiar with the information that is in that Wikiarticle that I posted. Added to that, you know as well as I, if folks limit their reading to sites like Gateway Pundit or Breitbart, which side of that controversy do you think they are going to continually be exposed to? Yet you want to blame them?

]

That is a blanket statement- that doesn't mean he is aware of a 'controversy'- it means he believes what he said to be a fact.

And he was the one who chose to bring he belief in his statement into this thread.

And I called him on it.
It's a valid call out. I let it slide as i belive TN is good hearted, maybe just a little misinformed. But to declare under any context that one race is inherently stronger or weaker in a specific category, is racist. Not all african americans are dumb nor are all whites smart. That is the essence of racism, thinking a race is inherently better or worse than another.
How is truth racist?
it is not truth. I am not sure who raised you to believe some people are better than others but I can assure you, there is absolutely no science to back up your claims.

A study I've read showed that Africans immigrating here now, have higher IQs than native african americans. Maybe that shows africans aren't genetically inferior buti african americans are being oppressed to the point that their community can not reach its natural potential.
politics section?
Where should I have posted?
It likely has not occurred to you that those from Africa migrating today were not stupid enough to find themselves on slave ships. It is commonly called the brain-drain.

Still, they are few and far apart.
well you should've seen what they were wearing. They were asking to be kidnapped into slavery :asshole:

One has only to compare the DNA of chimpanzees, and humans to realize that even the smallest variations can result in a dramatic, and profound, differentiation amongst creatures. If one wants to be all kumbaya about it sure... You can say were all the "same". But the truth is; most creatures find even the slightest differences to be crucial for deciding who belongs in the "group".
If you want to just say we have more in common than differences... Well... All primates should get constitutional rights. And it's worth mention that no one hesitates to discriminate, amongst "breeds" of other creatures. Others seem to think humans are "special", and as such should be afforded a pass, on the same critcal judgment, and discrimination they bestow on every other group of creatures on earth.
They are wrong. And deep down they know it.

This was the quote;

from that?

]

And I called him on it.
How is truth racist?
it is not truth. I am not sure who raised you to believe some people are better than others but I can assure you, there is absolutely no science to back up your claims.
Its statistical fact. Blacks generally have a lower IQ than other races.
History of the race and intelligence controversy - Wikipedia

This was the quote;
from that?

]

And I called him on it.
How is truth racist?
linking wikipedia? really?

And I called him on it.
How is truth racist?
linking wikipedia? really?
The sources are at the bottom if you need to questions something. This has been around for decades. Its common knowledge, as a matter of fact :dunno:

Forum List

Back