How many times are they going to remake "Dune?" It was an okay book, but they made it twice already...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Just watched the trailer for the re-remake of Dune.....how many times does this movie have to be remade? It was an okay book......but come on! And the new EMO Paul Atreidies.......it looks like he can barely get out of bed to listen to depressing music let alone fight hand to hand against actual warriors..............

Now I figured it out....he looks like Edward Scissorshands....

Just watched the trailer for the re-remake of Dune.....how many times does this movie have to be remade? It was an okay book......but come on! And the new EMO Paul Atreidies.......it looks like he can barely get out of bed to listen to depressing music let alone fight hand to hand against actual warriors..............
Are there any sci-fi writers today who even come close to the late great ones like
Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, or Robert Heinlein ?

I thought the first movie was bad, but the miniseries on ScyFy was excellent. I also thought the book was just OK (the first, I never read any more of the series).

It's an extremely iconic sci-fi book. I'm not surprised people keep trying to redo it.

I thought the first movie was bad, but the miniseries on ScyFy was excellent. I also thought the book was just OK (the first, I never read any more of the series).

It's an extremely iconic sci-fi book. I'm not surprised people keep trying to redo it.

Yeah...but there are other books and movies far better that don't get remade so many times.....

Shouldn't you be combing through international news looking for shooting in countries with gun control?

Shouldn't you be combing through international news looking for shooting in countries with gun control?

That gets exhausting when their gun control laws fail so often...I need to take a break every once in a while.

Are there any sci-fi writers today who even come close to the late great ones like
Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, or Robert Heinlein ?

NO

So don’t watch it

Thanks, 2A, I hadn't heard about this. Of course you realize that Dune was an iconic SF novel, I love the original movie (both versions), but Hollywood has totally run out of ideas and has been remaking / stealing old plots for years to stay alive!

That said, the trailer looks very good and interesting. I might actually have to go see this!

They're trying Asimov on TV. I have grave doubts.

The first Dune film was gorgeous but pure camp. Seriously over-acted. The studio demanded a two-hour film which would have killed it regardless. Lynch removed his name from it later.

The mini dealt with the story a tad better, but sucked in all other ways.

Third time's the charm. Good cast and a gritty, medieval look. Spindly Chalamet can pass for 15-18, the age span in the book. Authentic ornithopters, not anti-grav machines or oversized air conditioning fans.

The Sandworms look like big assholes.

The first Dune film was gorgeous but pure camp. Seriously over-acted. The studio demanded a two-hour film which would have killed it regardless. Lynch removed his name from it later.

Third time's the charm. Good cast and a gritty, medieval look. Spindly Chalamet can pass for 15-18, the age span in the book. Authentic ornithopters, not anti-grav machines or oversized air conditioning fans.

As usual, I don't recognize any of the cast names in the new movie. I guess all the good old actors are dead. There was one name in there I recognized: Javier Bardem. I loved him in No Country For Old Men.

As usual, I don't recognize any of the cast names in the new movie. I guess all the good old actors are dead. There was one name in there I recognized: Javier Bardem. I loved him in No Country For Old Men.

Josh Brolin was also in that.

I recognize at least 8: Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Oscar Isaac, Stellan Skarsgard, Charlotte Rampling, and Javier Bardem.

Forum List

Back