How many of you still collect albums (vinyl) or CD's?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
I still collect mostly CD's, but very few albums. The price of new vinyl is just ridiculous. The last vinyl I purchased was most likely a few years ago. It was a three disc set of great Sun Records recordings under the title "Sam Phillips, the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll", or something to that effect. I got a very good deal on it at my local Barnes and Noble, especially with my B&N member discount. I think I paid about 40 bucks for it, including tax. I'm NOT a fan of downloading music, but I DO see how that can be very convenient. With downloaded material, you don't actually own something tangible, that you can touch and feel. And even if you download it to a CD copy, you don't have the booklet and liner notes.

I still have a lot of cd's, I find it practical in the summer when I receive putting cd's of ambient French music and I also have records especially from Elvis.

Cd a French song :

I have a lot of albums and CD’s. There for awhile I was collecting them pretty regularly. Not much anymore and I haven’t listened to them in several years either.

Forgot to mention that I agree with you about downloaded music. I have some but I prefer CD’s...same with books. I like reading inserts, covers and looking at the art. More satisfying for me.

I still collect mostly CD's, but very few albums. The price of new vinyl is just ridiculous. The last vinyl I purchased was most likely a few years ago. It was a three disc set of great Sun Records recordings under the title "Sam Phillips, the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll", or something to that effect. I got a very good deal on it at my local Barnes and Noble, especially with my B&N member discount. I think I paid about 40 bucks for it, including tax. I'm NOT a fan of downloading music, but I DO see how that can be very convenient. With downloaded material, you don't actually own something tangible, that you can touch and feel. And even if you download it to a CD copy, you don't have the booklet and liner notes.
I had a closet full of boxes of albums that went up in smoke
in a house fire about 15 years ago. Not a good day.:(

Last edited:
I stopped supporting the music industry years ago when the mode of music to listen to kept changing and your previous purchases were negated by the fact that the new unit of listening was not compatible. I stream the music now for free.....

I still have all my vinyl...classic rock mostly.

I never thought of it as a "collection"...but I guess it is now.

Remember when you could tape a penny to the piece of paper & get 14 albums from the RCA record club? :banana:

I had a closet full of boxes of albums that went up in smoke
in a house fire about 15 years ago. Not a good day.:(
Sorry to hear that. I lost about a couple hundred albums due to water damage some years ago, including several Beatles albums. The White Album(s) was one of them. I DID replace the Beatles' ones with remastered CD's.

I still have all my vinyl...classic rock mostly.

I never thought of it as a "collection"...but I guess it is now.

Remember when you could tape a penny to the piece of paper & get 14 albums from the RCA record club? :banana:
Yep, I DO remember those RCA AND Columbia House days. You got a killer deal at first. But then to complete your membership you had to buy something like 5 albums at their outrageous prices within the next two years, I believe. I ran away SEVERAL times before completing the membership agreement. The funny thing is they kept accepting me back after this, both RCA AND Columbia House!

I use to have an extensive record and cd collection. Now my ex's new dude has a great collection. Has alot of new tools also.Does not seem as though the judge likes that I might get the shit back. I would let her keep them if she signed the dotted line today though. I just want one of my houses and my boats. I have replaced all the lost music with mp3 files so I still listen to them. I keep every version of every song by the beatles on my phone. I also keep all beatle solo career on my phone. Pinnk floyd, the stones, and Bill withers. All music always on phone. The rest I cycle on and off the phone I am currently trying to catch up on post 1995 rock n roll. Family and work kinda took over in 95. I am currently listening to some Moon dog Travis Haddux. Got all that haddux music from the man him self. This time last year haddux and his buddies were gettting their fish cleaned at the marina I take off out of. I got his buddies on my boat later in the year for a charter but Travis only made it to the mouth of the river before yacking. Had to trun around and let him off the boat. I guess some peolpe get real sea sick. Thank god it aint me. At the begining of this lock down crap I had 3 lady freinds all to young but thats ok was not going to marry. Now on tuesday the last one decided to get a long term boy freind. So I am hoping things open real soon especially up on the lake where it is like shooting fish in a barrell. Better happen soon or this may become my theme song.

not my normal music but it speaks to me right now. Bet my son is feeling the same way. He is lead singer for the popular campus band and was tearing it up with the ladies in ways I could have only dreamed. No gigs right now though I am proud of that kid in some ways.

Nothing sounds better than vinyl, but these days all of my albums are in mp3 format. I just plug my phone into my car stereo and that's how I listen to music. But then I have all of them copied onto my mac, too, so I sometimes listen to music when I'm tinkering around on that.

Right now on my phone I have 913 albums for a total of 9,946 songs.

It's a really good point about the books and the album art and all of that. Those days are basically gone. Back in the day kids would save their grass cutting money and then hop on the bike and go to the record store and the ncome home and flip through the album art and inserts and all of that while they were listening to what they just bought.

I really doubt that there will ever be another classic rock n roll band or another classic album either. These days things stay popular only as long as the next download comes along.

I don't even listen to modern music, I hate it.

Last edited:
Nothing sounds better than vinyl, but these days all of my albums are in mp3 format. I just plug my phone into my car stereo and that's how I listen to music. But then I have all of them copied onto my mac, too, so I sometimes liten to music when I'm tinkering around on that.

It's a really good point about the books and the album art and all of that. Those days are basically gone. Back in the day kids would save their grass cutting money and then hop on the bike and go to the record store and the ncome home and flip through the album art and inserts and all of that while they were listening to what they just bought.

I really doubt that there will ever be another classic rock n roll band or another clasic album either. These days things stay popular only as long as the next download coes along.

I don't even listen to modern music, I hate it.
Going to the store and looking at the album art and talking with others about the music was a big part of the draw. It was a great excuse to talk to that hot chick with the album in heir hand. Got a few dates that way.

I believe. I ran away SEVERAL times before completing the membership agreement.

Same here...I would buy 1 or 2 albums & figured that was good enough.
Yep. AND we got away with it! But that most likely happened with pretty much anyone that started a membership.

We always joked...what if you filled out the order but didn't tape the penny on?

Would they still send the albums?
:auiqs.jpg:

I believe. I ran away SEVERAL times before completing the membership agreement.

Same here...I would buy 1 or 2 albums & figured that was good enough.
Yep. AND we got away with it! But that most likely happened with pretty much anyone that started a membership.

We always joked...what if you filled out the order but didn't tape the penny on?

Would they still send the albums?
:auiqs.jpg:
THAT'S a good one!

Forum List

Back