How in the heck

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
do you guys keep your sanity? Only been on this forum for a short time, my first time doing something like this. Already seen some posts which might be described as 'unusual', but also a few intelligent and lucid ones whether I agreed with them or not. But some are less than respectful, some outright angry and resentful, and some weird ones too. So, for those of you that've been here awhile, how did you manage it and remain rational?

Or have I made a rash assumption?

:eusa_angel:

do you guys keep your sanity? Only been on this forum for a short time, my first time doing something like this. Already seen some posts which might be described as 'unusual', but also a few intelligent and lucid ones whether I agreed with them or not. But some are less than respectful, some outright angry and resentful, and some weird ones too. So, for those of you that've been here awhile, how did you manage it and remain rational?

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7uGEPgoXk]YouTube - The Twilight Zone Intro[/ame]

First, you have to realize this isn't real life.

Second, you will come to see that the same people post the same stuff over and over in the same threads.

You'll learn to scroll over their posts, or make fun of them for being so damn funny without even trying.

I have my favorite trolls on here, in time you will too!

On the good ship
lollipop
its a sweet trip
to the candy shop
where bon-bon's play,
on the sunny beach
of peppermint bay
Lemonade stands,
everywhere
crackerjack bands,
fill the air,
and there you are,
happy landings on a chocolate bar.
See the sugar bowl
do a tootsie roll
in a big bad devils food cake,
if you eat too much,
oh, oh,
you'll awake,
with a tummy ache.

On the good ship
lollipop
its a nice trip,
in to bed you hop,
and dream away,
on the good ship
lollipop

(Lyrics007)

6a00e54ed05fc288330120a6807552970c-800wi

Two things....

#1. USE THE IGNORE FEATURE. I know it works great for me.

#2. It helps to be slightly "insane" or bombastic yourself to survive at a place like this. Milque toast posters tend to find themselves very annoyed at places like USMB

Two things....

#1. USE THE IGNORE FEATURE. I know it works great for me.

#2. It helps to be slightly "insane" or bombastic yourself to survive at a place like this. Milque toast posters tend to find themselves very annoyed at places like USMB

If you continue on with your 'ignore list' soon you won't have anyone to talk to.

I was a bit shocked too when i first joined too, but you learn to deal with it. Other boards i came from were all about "respect" and "no flaming" and being "civil" that is not so much the case here.

Think of all of this as freedom of speech. If you want to be able to say what you want, in the fashion that suits you best, you have to allow others to do the same.

Wade in and enjoy yourself. After all if you are not enjoying yourself here what is the
point?

You should do something about that rash.:eek:

If you continue on with your 'ignore list' soon you won't have anyone to talk to.

Zoom, I haven't even STARTED on the Ignore List. At another site I used to frequent, ,y Ignore List had well over THREE HUNDRED posters on it. Now the site had about 50K of registered members and a 500-600 poster active group.

Messageboards, like houses are often much happier places to be when one cannot hear the wailing and crying of little children, so the larger the Ignore List gets, the more likely this place is to be a happier place for me to visit.

I confess to being puzzled. The OP asks how we keep our sanity. Whatever gave him the impression that any of us had this 'sanity' shit to start with? Can one keep what one has never had? I don't think so.

Anyhoo, if the OP doesn't like the forum, he can fuck off and find a nice respectful one.... they're usually desperate for newbies.

Zoom, I haven't even STARTED on the Ignore List. At another site I used to frequent, ,y Ignore List had well over THREE HUNDRED posters on it. Now the site had about 50K of registered members and a 500-600 poster active group.

Messageboards, like houses are often much happier places to be when one cannot hear the wailing and crying of little children, so the larger the Ignore List gets, the more likely this place is to be a happier place for me to visit.

What is the point of the message board then? To only talk to, listen to or be exposed to people who share the same views and opinions as one's self?

If you've got children, you already know how to filter out some nonsense and hear the necessary things. There are just lots of kids who yell with their fingers here. So to speak.

Let me give you my perspective - and it is worth every cent you're paying for it, btw. Every person on this earth knows something I do not. Therefore, every person can teach me something. If I write them off, I may miss something that could be useful, important, humorous, etc.

This place is amazing and very enjoyable if you let it be. Don't take people too seriously, remember you can always hit the little white "x" in the the upper right corner if it gets too bad. But there are a lot of very good people here.

What is the point of the message board then? To only talk to, listen to or be exposed to people who share the same views and opinions as one's self?

It's a place to exchange information. For DISCUSSION. Once it turns to DEBATE or ARGUEMENT, I have no interest. I know what my viewpoints, worldview, and opinions are. There is nobody here at USMB that is likely to ever make me even consider changing any of them.

If you've got children, you already know how to filter out some nonsense and hear the necessary things. There are just lots of kids who yell with their fingers here. So to speak.

I have no children and want none. My sister in law's mother saw me playing with my nephew a couple years ago and commented that I should have a couple kids of my own. I told her she was nuts. She asked me why. I told her that I have zero patience, a massive temper and a violent streak. I also have significant Control Issues (I have to be in charge). She said... "So what?" That's when I explained that I could easily see myself accidentally shaking a baby to death at 3am because I couldn't get the kid to be quiet.

That "filtering" is what I use the Ignore List for. In my real life I can't and wouldn't want to do that for personal reasons, but here online thankfully I can.

Let me give you my perspective - and it is worth every cent you're paying for it, btw. Every person on this earth knows something I do not. Therefore, every person can teach me something. If I write them off, I may miss something that could be useful, important, humorous, etc...

I will agree with your second sentence. Everyone does know something I don't. However, more often than not it's not anything I have an interest in knowing or that will be beneficial to me in any way.

This place is amazing and very enjoyable if you let it be. Don't take people too seriously, remember you can always hit the little white "x" in the the upper right corner if it gets too bad. But there are a lot of very good people here.

I take every moment of life as seriously as a heart attack. I assume everone is a threat to me until proven otherwise and act accordingly. Humor, joy, fun, and happiness are not significant factors in my life, nor will they likely ever be.

I do it by pretending Phoenix looks like her avi.

Forum List

Back