How do humans “think”?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
How do humans “think”?

A Chinees statement in Chinese Jiǎntǐzì hé fántǐzì shì shǔyú wénzì fànchóu de wèntí. Dànshi xiànzài wǎng shàng guānyú zhè gè wèntí de yǒuxiē shuōfa chángcháng bǎ yǔyán

The Chinese symbols----
1643495550416.png

Japanese---
1643495569066.png

Russian—
Президент Путин поручил до 1 мая проанализировать практику применения российских законов об «иностранных агентах» и «при необходимости» представить предложения о внесении в них изменений. Такая формулировка не гарантирует смягчения действующих правил, но робкую надежду на это всё же дает.

English language--
English is a Germanic language of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England

Our minds “think” using words as if we were talking to ourselves. I think in English so I know how it works, but thinking in Chinese just boggles my mind.

How can you get a meaningful meaning out of
1643495694267.png

Are these thoughts or what-?
We have adjectives, adverbs, pronouns and nouns.
What do they have?
-

How do humans “think”?

A Chinees statement in Chinese Jiǎntǐzì hé fántǐzì shì shǔyú wénzì fànchóu de wèntí. Dànshi xiànzài wǎng shàng guānyú zhè gè wèntí de yǒuxiē shuōfa chángcháng bǎ yǔyán

The Chinese symbols----

View attachment 594424

Japanese---

View attachment 594425

Russian—

Президент Путин поручил до 1 мая проанализировать практику применения российских законов об «иностранных агентах» и «при необходимости» представить предложения о внесении в них изменений. Такая формулировка не гарантирует смягчения действующих правил, но робкую надежду на это всё же дает.

English language--

English is a Germanic language of the Indo-European language family, originally spoken by the inhabitants of early medieval England

Our minds “think” using words as if we were talking to ourselves. I think in English so I know how it works, but thinking in Chinese just boggles my mind.

How can you get a meaningful meaning out of
View attachment 594427

Are these thoughts or what-?
We have adjectives, adverbs, pronouns and nouns.
What do they have?
-

You get that we don't actually think in text, right?

Be it Chinese, Japanese, English, or Cyrillic, all text-based writing systems are simply representations of the sounds of our language.

Thats a great question that I am not qualified to answer with certainty but I must leave my opinion anyways because I thought about this for some time.

I believe that most all animals with a brain think in order to make decisions on how to act. The smaller the animal and the smaller the brain the less complex and nuanced this thinking is, but deep down at the base of this thinking that most all animals can do it is the same. So, how a turtle decides to run or fight is the same process that human has for the same choice, except, the human can do more with this process.

What is thinking? Is it mysterious like your soul, or constructed like a machine? I believe that your thinking is a summation of the processes in many parts of your brain, that if dissected and thoroughly blueprinted could be fully explained with as much detail as the process of any complex machine and that most human brains process information for decision making in nearly identicle ways with tiny variations and rare exceptions. This made possible by the parts in your brain and how well they work together.

An argument for my belief is that damaging particular parts of a human brain can disable a particular function of how that person can think and act and this can be and has been repeatedly proven to be verifiable in all humans. There is no mystery to thinking, we simply dont precisely know how this all works, yet. Someday we will and seriously, this will put a lot of guessworkers out of business.

Our minds “think” using words as if we were talking to ourselves
This is not true. Language affects concepts, it can distort them. But language thinking is not the only one, nor is it the best. There is associative, figurative thinking and so on. For example, when you take an IQ test, you don't need a language.

Forum List

Back