How Do Bad Cops Stay in Power? Just Look at Miami.

People in uniform aren't the only ones who have the power of life and death over you. What about those millions of people who have concealed carry permits and carry weapons? I doubt that many of them have had very much in the way of sensitivity training.

They stand behind you in the checkout line probably every day. You brush elbows with them as they pass you on the sidewalk. They sneak up behind you as you go about your daily life, unbeknownst to you. Many of them carry unsafe weapons, are poorly-trained, and carry in cheap Chinese-made holsters they bought at Walmart. Holsters that only take one errant nudge before their weapon falls out, clatters to the ground, and fires, giving you a big hole in the middle of your forehead.

The police are probably the last thing you should be worried about. :laughing0301:
I live in Idaho..and sometimes..I'm one of those people...not with a permit..since we don't bother with such here--but certainly armed. Not that often..cause, well..why, right?
Not a great deal of street violence here. It is a point of pride for people to be versed in the handling of firearms...and any amateurish handling usually brings people out of the woodwork to correct the abuser.
Nope....not worried about those folks. They have no status in the community..their word is not accepted over yours just because they have a badge.

I live in Idaho..and sometimes..I'm one of those people...not with a permit..since we don't bother with such here--but certainly armed. Not that often..cause, well..why, right?
Not a great deal of street violence here. It is a point of pride for people to be versed in the handling of firearms...and any amateurish handling usually brings people out of the woodwork to correct the abuser.
Nope....not worried about those folks. They have no status in the community..their word is not accepted over yours just because they have a badge.

I've rarely seen an issue with someone carrying and in the rare occasion it happens no one makes excuses for the person.

Charge them and hold them accountable.

This has what to do with bad cops? I admire how you get some talking points in...but this thread is about bad cops..not defunding the police or releasing the 'criminals'.
My point is that bad cops ARE criminals~

BTW..one can hold all cops accountable...and NOT release the criminals

Ahh..some of that good old corrupt policing..just like the the good ole days:

In a police department with a history of brutality, Captain Javier Ortiz holds a special distinction as Miami’s least-fireable man with a badge, a gun and a staggering history of citizen complaints for beatings, false arrests and bullying.
Over his 17 years on the job — including eight as the union president of the Fraternal Order of Police in South Florida — 49 people have complained about him to Internal Affairs as he amassed 19 official use-of-force incidents, $600,000 in lawsuit settlements and a book’s worth of terrible headlines related to his record and his racially inflammatory social media posts, many of which attacked alleged victims of police violence.
Yet Ortiz has repeatedly beaten back attempts to discipline him. He returned to work in March from a yearlong paid suspension during which state and federal investigators examined whether he “engaged in a pattern of abuse and bias against minorities, particularly African Americans … [and] has been known for cyber-stalking and doxing civilians who question his authority or file complaints against him.” The investigation was launched after three Miami police sergeants accused him of abusing his position and said the department had repeatedly botched investigations into him.
But investigators concluded their hands were tied because 13 of the 19 use-of-force complaints were beyond the five-year statute of limitations, and the others lacked enough hard evidence beyond the assertions of the alleged victims. The findings underscored a truism in many urban police departments: The most troublesome cops are so insulated by protective union contracts and laws passed by politicians who are eager to advertise their law-and-order bona fides that removing them is nearly impossible — even when their own colleagues are witnesses against them.
As a police officer with an encyclopedic knowledge of labor law and grievance procedures, Ortiz shielded himself over the years with the extensive protections woven into the local union’s collective bargaining agreement and Florida’s “Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights,” a police-friendly law that passed decades ago and has been continuously beefed up with bipartisan support. He has also availed himself of a controversial judicial doctrine, called qualified immunity, which shields police from certain forms of liability.
Among the special provisions that have made policing Florida’s police so difficult is a rule in the bill of rights that says all investigations must be wrapped up in 180 days. Critics say the rule is a vehicle for sympathetic colleagues to protect an officer simply by dragging their feet. In its review of Ortiz, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported that between 2013 and 2018 seven citizen complaints against him were voided because the department failed to finish investigating within the prescribed time limit.

Hell, that's the case in every one horse town police dept in America.

This has what to do with bad cops? I admire how you get some talking points in...but this thread is about bad cops..not defunding the police or releasing the 'criminals'.
My point is that bad cops ARE criminals~

BTW..one can hold all cops accountable...and NOT release the criminals

I agree. And the one way to hold those cops accountable, is to refer to them to what they are. Criminals.

I agree, let's do both.

Let's call for accountability across the board, and hold everyone who breaks our laws, accountable.

Let's start with the *president.

Let's go back even further than that. Was the top cop of the Justice Department ever charged for supplying assault weapons to Mexican drug cartels, under Obama?

His name is Eric Holder.

In a police department with a history of brutality, Captain Javier Ortiz holds a special distinction as Miami’s least-fireable man with a badge, a gun and a staggering history of citizen complaints for beatings, false arrests and bullying.
Over his 17 years on the job — including eight as the union president of the Fraternal Order of Police in South Florida — 49 people have complained about him to Internal Affairs as he amassed 19 official use-of-force incidents, $600,000 in lawsuit settlements and a book’s worth of terrible headlines related to his record and his racially inflammatory social media posts, many of which attacked alleged victims of police violence.
Yet Ortiz has repeatedly beaten back attempts to discipline him. He returned to work in March from a yearlong paid suspension during which state and federal investigators examined whether he “engaged in a pattern of abuse and bias against minorities, particularly African Americans … [and] has been known for cyber-stalking and doxing civilians who question his authority or file complaints against him.” The investigation was launched after three Miami police sergeants accused him of abusing his position and said the department had repeatedly botched investigations into him.
But investigators concluded their hands were tied because 13 of the 19 use-of-force complaints were beyond the five-year statute of limitations, and the others lacked enough hard evidence beyond the assertions of the alleged victims. The findings underscored a truism in many urban police departments: The most troublesome cops are so insulated by protective union contracts and laws passed by politicians who are eager to advertise their law-and-order bona fides that removing them is nearly impossible — even when their own colleagues are witnesses against them.
As a police officer with an encyclopedic knowledge of labor law and grievance procedures, Ortiz shielded himself over the years with the extensive protections woven into the local union’s collective bargaining agreement and Florida’s “Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights,” a police-friendly law that passed decades ago and has been continuously beefed up with bipartisan support. He has also availed himself of a controversial judicial doctrine, called qualified immunity, which shields police from certain forms of liability.
Among the special provisions that have made policing Florida’s police so difficult is a rule in the bill of rights that says all investigations must be wrapped up in 180 days. Critics say the rule is a vehicle for sympathetic colleagues to protect an officer simply by dragging their feet. In its review of Ortiz, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported that between 2013 and 2018 seven citizen complaints against him were voided because the department failed to finish investigating within the prescribed time limit.
And the Supreme Court is determined to allow police lawlessness and criminality to continue.

I agree, let's do both.

Let's call for accountability across the board, and hold everyone who breaks our laws, accountable.

As long as we start considering financial crimes not just a civil crime.

Let's go back even further than that. Was the top cop of the Justice Department ever charged for supplying assault weapons to Mexican drug cartels, under Obama?

His name is Eric Holder.

He should have been.

I agree, let's do both.

LOL! You just can't help yourself, can you? This is not the 'trash Biden' thread.
I appreciate your agreement though--how about, let's start with the cop on the beat--and work our way up?
BTW..I seem to remember a lot of people on the Right making the argument that Trump..as the President...was NOT accountable to the law...and in fact, was above it.
Impeachment is definitely not accountability..I think we've all seen that~

His name is Eric Holder.
LOL! You guys...let's just set our sights a bit lower..and a bit more non-partisan eh?
No one cares about Fast and Furious anymore...and most are not interested in using the criminal justice system for payback.
I get that you are the exception---again, let's start with the cop in the radio car....and work our way up.

The reason is right there in your article:
including eight as the union president of the Fraternal Order of Police in South Florida

Miami is a great Place. You just have to know where to go and how to get there.

LOL! You guys...let's just set our sights a bit lower..and a bit more non-partisan eh?
No one cares about Fast and Furious anymore...and most are not interested in using the criminal justice system for payback.
I get that you are the exception---again, let's start with the cop in the radio car....and work our way up.

Holder was the top cop. Reform must go there also. What he did was as corrupt as all get out.

He should have been.

But he wasn't. His actions were responsible for something like 200 murders, including some American Border Patrol Agents.

Derek Chauvin only killed one drug-addicted home-invader part-time counterfeiter, which earnestly, I have no problem with.

Forum List

Back