How Did You Quit . . .

I was a heavy smoker 2-3 packs a day for years. I got my doc to prescribe Chantix and I quit in a month haven't had a cigarette in 15 years.
Although I still want one at times. There are times when a cup of seems to tell me "I would be a lot better with a Lucky Strike".
If there is a secret it is what my grandmother called "the wantitis" you have to want it really badly.

You know, I've heard good things about Chantix and Wellbutrin. I haven't taken them myself, so I can't say for sure. But I've known other people who've taken them who swear by them.

SMOKING . . .

While in the damn middle of a major—um—professional project?

Because at the moment I've got a Nicorette Lozenge shoved down one lip, and a pinch of Kodiak Wintergreen down the other lip side, and, and, and . . . not working.

Will return later. Heading out for another smoke break.

View attachment 220435

View attachment 220435

View attachment 220436
My mom was 40 when she quit smoking cold turkey.

But then she did not have any other major stressors in her life at the time.

I have no desire to quit. I ENJOY it too much. Even if it's a nasty, unhealthy habit.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I do understand that perfectly. It's hard to replace that nerve-soothing first cigarette in the morning. When your nerves feel a little "crackly" (for lack of a better term) the instant nicotine of a cig feels like a wave of calmness washing over your restless nerves. Almost like water cooling an overheating mechanical device.

Damn good question, but don't just focus on treating the physical addiction because it is more of a mental habit......have a cup of coffee, have a smoke...after supper, have a smoke...on the phone, have a smoke.....just before bed, have a smoke, etc, etc, etc. You get the idea. These are what & how we've conditioned ourselves and that is much of what needs to be addressed to successfully quit.

Best of luck in your endeavors

Thanks, JustAnother,

I first started habitual smoking around 1992 while stuck in an extremely high stress environment. Psychologically, my best guess is I associate the nerve soothing memory of that first puff with relief from current and future high stress issues. We watched Office Space the other night. Maybe hypnosis is the way to go?

It might be, everybody is different and what it takes to help them. I hope it works for you.

That's certainly true, everyone's body is biochemically a little bit different so what might be salvation for some is poison for others.
"Will Power" Is Nothing to Be Proud Of

People who quit didn't like the smell of smoke before they started smoking. They would put up with it when they started smoking for social reasons, then begin to enjoy it, which was probably enhanced by addictive forces. So it is your preconditioned genes that determine how hard or even impossible it will be to quit. Medical science is more mercenary than competent; this idea that we all have the same physiology shows how stupid PhDs are. After all, they didn't earn a living until they were 30 years old; all that produces is crooks, quacks, and crackpots.

Another characteristic of unnatural smokers is the situations in which they won't smoke, such as never missing part of a good movie to go out and sneak a cigarette. I always do that, and have even sneaked one inside the theater so I didn't miss any part of the movie. The bandits who own theaters are now too cheap to hire ushers.

It is no conspiracy theory, but has been recognized for thousands of years that the ruling class has its secret cures. So only they know how to cure those who have the tobacco-friendly gene.

Damn good question, but don't just focus on treating the physical addiction because it is more of a mental habit......have a cup of coffee, have a smoke...after supper, have a smoke...on the phone, have a smoke.....just before bed, have a smoke, etc, etc, etc. You get the idea. These are what & how we've conditioned ourselves and that is much of what needs to be addressed to successfully quit.

Thanks, JustAnother,

I first started habitual smoking around 1992 while stuck in an extremely high stress environment. Psychologically, my best guess is I associate the nerve soothing memory of that first puff with relief from current and future high stress issues. We watched Office Space the other night. Maybe hypnosis is the way to go?

It might be, everybody is different and what it takes to help them. I hope it works for you.

That's certainly true, everyone's body is biochemically a little bit different so what might be salvation for some is poison for others.

People who quit didn't like the smell of smoke before they started smoking. They would put up with it when they started smoking for social reasons, then begin to enjoy it, which was probably enhanced by addictive forces. So it is your preconditioned genes that determine how hard or even impossible it will be to quit. Medical science is more mercenary than competent; this idea that we all have the same physiology shows how stupid PhDs are. After all, they didn't earn a living until they were 30 years old; all that produces is crooks, quacks, and crackpots.

Another characteristic of unnatural smokers is the situations in which they won't smoke, such as never missing part of a good movie to go out and sneak a cigarette. I always do that, and have even sneaked one inside the theater so I didn't miss any part of the movie. The bandits who own theaters are now too cheap to hire ushers.

It is no conspiracy theory, but has been recognized for thousands of years that the ruling class has its secret cures. So only they know how to cure those who have the tobacco-friendly gene.

I may very well have the "tobacco friendly" gene in me. Even though both my parents are nonsmokers, my paternal grandma (as well as a few of my other extended relatives) was a 2+ pack a day lifelong chainsmoker who succumbed to lung cancer at 83. She was one of those relatives in which we don't have a single picture of her without a lit cigarette permanently welded to her fingers.

Thanks, JustAnother,

Also, as I'm sure you're smart enough to know, nobody wakes up one morning and randomly thinks, "Today I'm going to get hopelessly addicted to such-and-such substance." As you seem to be implying in your post, most people try a substance out of curiosity, enjoy it a little too much, so in their mind they rationalize reasons to try it again in the future. And again. And a again. Slightly more and more often each time. Regardless of a person's exact genetics, addiction is one of those things that creeps up on you so gradually it's extremely hard to notice. In my case in my younger days, once the head-rush gratification of cigarettes ended and it became a mundane thing, I was already addicted to Ms. Marlboro and would get into a horrible mood without them.

In my nicotine patch dream odyssey last night, I was traveling through this nearly fractal, beautifully constructed underground tunnel. Filled with all sorts of golden, sparkly ornate decorations and incredibly fancy bric-a-brac. This mood-lit tuinnel ran for dozens of miles from around the South Bay, under the Santa Cruz Mtn.spine and its mouth opened up north next to Woodside Road, but....and this is a big but, this tunnel also had a right fork slightly before the opening mouth which lead to another tunnel with a train track and an old, retired 1800's steam locomotive parked on it. I suppose it's just one of those museum pieces that people love to put in nicotine-patch-dream tunnels.

So I'm wearing the patch to bed again tonight because, damn it, I want to see where that dream train track tunnel leads now. I can't possibly left hanging like this, can I?

Forum List

Back