How cool are Ford Focus ST's?

Im super bummed. It turns out that these mods significantly raise you insurance rates. I figured there would be a bump in the rate, but my research suggests it could be an 80-90% increase.

Dont tell em.
I added a blower to my Tacoma,a tune and several other things and just didnt tell em.

I never ever had even thought about telling my insurance company. Had two Integra's (one bolt on, one boosted), a Miata, a Mazdaspeed3, Camaro SS, Chevy Silverado, and an F150 Ecoboost all which I'd done some level of modding to.

The only thing you tell em about is none performance parts like rims and tires,sway bars and the like.

From what I read and seen in youtube videos, the Civic Type R has a lot more power. Top speed advertised 170. Actual top speed on autobahn: 176.

Honda Civic Type R Exceeds Official Top Speed In Autobahn Test

5 out of 5 stars by Car and Driver:

2019 Honda Civic Type R Reviews | Honda Civic Type R Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver

In a head to head test, the Type R beat the Focus RS. It would eat your Focus ST for lunch. It's stopping distance was shorter than the Acura NSX 200 thousand dollar supercar. It pulled 1.02G's on the skidpad, unheard of for a FWD car. It was also the fastest FWD car ever tested by C and D.

2017 Ford Focus RS vs. 2017 Honda Civic Type R | Comparison Test | Car and Driver

The type R has 50 less HP than the Ford.
2017 Ford Focus RS vs. 2017 Honda Civic Type R | Comparison Test | Car and Driver

I think most hatchbacks look terrible, but i love these turbo charged ST's. They come out of the factory with a top speed of 155 mph, but its really easy to tune them for A LOT more horsepower, though most of that power goes towards 2-4th gear, but thats where you spend most of your driving.

I was thinking i was going to buy a Honda Accord Coupe, but i think ill get one of these instead and have it tuned by Ford Performance, which doesnt void the warranty.

avant_garde_m310_18x85_matteblack_ford_focus_st_pb-img001.JPG

gunsmoke-lamin-x-headlight-tint-17_1.jpg
ghey and weak...

Im super bummed. It turns out that these mods significantly raise you insurance rates. I figured there would be a bump in the rate, but my research suggests it could be an 80-90% increase.

Dont tell em.
I added a blower to my Tacoma,a tune and several other things and just didnt tell em.

I never ever had even thought about telling my insurance company. Had two Integra's (one bolt on, one boosted), a Miata, a Mazdaspeed3, Camaro SS, Chevy Silverado, and an F150 Ecoboost all which I'd done some level of modding to.

The only thing you tell em about is none performance parts like rims and tires,sway bars and the like.

I never even mentioned that. I don't ever think I was even asked it or giving a place to write it down. One of my cars was totaled once by a drunk driver, and I mentioned it then to the claims guy, but that was it.

Dont tell em.

I never even mentioned that. I don't ever think I was even asked it or giving a place to write it down. One of my cars was totaled once by a drunk driver, and I mentioned it then to the claims guy, but that was it.

If it gets stolen and they dont recover it you'll get screwed out of those mods.
No harm in telling them about things that cost you money but dont inflate your premium.

Dont tell em.

If it gets stolen and they dont recover it you'll get screwed out of those mods.
No harm in telling them about things that cost you money but dont inflate your premium.

Yup I could see in that case.

Back to the focus st, I do like hot hatches. Ive heard the fiesta St is an absolute blast to drive. But a bit small for me. Had a mini s for a year as a commuter and that was about the same size.

I think if I'd go a size step up I'd probably look at a VW GTI. Hard to find a review that doesn't like that one. And it's kind of in that sporty but not overdoing it with the looks and powerful enough to be quick but not in the RS/ type r range. Can get it in a two or four door and if you did go automatic I heard that theres is one of the best. And I do like the interiors, with the plaid seats but that is a taste I'm sure not everyone enjoys.

volkswagen-golf-gti-interior.jpg

I do wish Mazda still made their speed 3. Even the regular Mazda 3 is one of the most fun driving hatches. The speed 3 had 270ish horsepower, and the first generation of them was a sleeper. The 2010 redesign had The :) front end and a functional hood scoop, but wasn't over the top. I used to take mine to track days, and all sorts of twisty mountain roads in Colorado. Truly enjoyed it more than my Camaro SS. Actual back seats and 4 doors and could fit plenty.

Dont tell em.

Back to the focus st, I do like hot hatches. Ive heard the fiesta St is an absolute blast to drive. But a bit small for me. Had a mini s for a year as a commuter and that was about the same size.

I think if I'd go a size step up I'd probably look at a VW GTI. Hard to find a review that doesn't like that one. And it's kind of in that sporty but not overdoing it with the looks and powerful enough to be quick but not in the RS/ type r range. Can get it in a two or four door and if you did go automatic I heard that theres is one of the best. And I do like the interiors, with the plaid seats but that is a taste I'm sure not everyone enjoys.

View attachment 258537

I do wish Mazda still made their speed 3. Even the regular Mazda 3 is one of the most fun driving hatches. The speed 3 had 270ish horsepower, and the first generation of them was a sleeper. The 2010 redesign had The :) front end and a functional hood scoop, but wasn't over the top. I used to take mine to track days, and all sorts of twisty mountain roads in Colorado. Truly enjoyed it more than my Camaro SS. Actual back seats and 4 doors and could fit plenty.

Meh...I'm not looking for a daily driver that hauls ass.
As I've said that shit only gets you in trouble.
Although I'm considering the Magnuson SC for the Tundra....for towing capacity of course.

View attachment 258537

Although I'm considering the Magnuson SC for the Tundra....for towing capacity of course.

Haha. Sounds like a good reasoning. That's why I got a chip for my pickup.

So if you want the fastest in a straight line, I believe the golf R would have that unless you want to go Audi. Civic R for track though the GTI I believe competes there well, just not as much in the straightaways. Focus RS has the drift mode which looks fun... Until the tire bill comes.

NVM one that doesnt. GTI is 220 I think. More than a basic hatch, but still able to be finctional

I'd put the RS, Type R, and Golf R on the performance car group. Don't think they make an STI hatch anymore, and while I loved those 15 years ago they've fallen back.

Then the Civic SI, Focus ST, mini S and GTI in that 2nd tier of sports hatches that are still really functional. With the WRX kinda between.

And the Mazda 3 as one that's a blast to drive but not powerful.

View attachment 258537

So if you want the fastest in a straight line, I believe the golf R would have that unless you want to go Audi. Civic R for track though the GTI I believe competes there well, just not as much in the straightaways. Focus RS has the drift mode which looks fun... Until the tire bill comes.

NVM one that doesnt. GTI is 220 I think. More than a basic hatch, but still able to be finctional

I have to admit having the Tundra run 12's is very appealing.
But then the 100 hp Polaris General forken rips to the point it's scary!!!
I can't imagine the latest s x s that double that!!!

View attachment 258537

Yeah I love the looks of the tundra. And Toyota always makes a fine truck, reliable and better off road than most. Ended up falling in love with Ford's ecoboost, even though mostly I am a Chevy guy and not too fond of the looks. Set my tuner once for the 93 octane. And holy crap that thing moves.

I've thought about a UTV. But just not sure I'd get anything out of it. Plus have a Wrangler Rubicon I take off roading which I like.

Thinking for a 3rd vehicle of getting another hot hatches though. Good for trips I'm not pulling a trailer and fun as a daily driver. And was between the GTI and Speed3 back in 2011.

View attachment 258537

Yeah I love the looks of the tundra. And Toyota always makes a fine truck, reliable and better off road than most. Ended up falling in love with Ford's ecoboost, even though mostly I am a Chevy guy and not too fond of the looks. Set my tuner once for the 93 octane. And holy crap that thing moves.

I've thought about a UTV. But just not sure I'd get anything out of it. Plus have a Wrangler Rubicon I take off roading which I like.

Thinking for a 3rd vehicle of getting another hot hatches though. Good for trips I'm not pulling a trailer and fun as a daily driver. And was between the GTI and Speed3 back in 2011.

Ecoboost = equals a dead motor around 100k if you're lucky.

View attachment 258537

I keep hearing that but still no data out there to show some big cliff for them. Now it's getting into it's 2nd decade of making that motor, and while I get when it was the in thing to say as a twin scroll turbo direct injection that was brand new and went against everything truck motors had been, but its kinda going the way of the "you'll have to spend $5k to change the batteries in your Prius at 100k".

Not a pile of used batteries or ecoboosts sitting in the junkyard even though millions of them on the road.

I've got a second gen and they get 650 horse out of that motor for the GT. I'm not going to come close to that myself.

I keep hearing that but still no data out there to show some big cliff for them. Now it's getting into it's 2nd decade of making that motor, and while I get when it was the in thing to say as a twin scroll turbo direct injection that was brand new and went against everything truck motors had been, but its kinda going the way of the "you'll have to spend $5k to change the batteries in your Prius at 100k".

Not a pile of used batteries or ecoboosts sitting in the junkyard even though millions of them on the road.

I've got a second gen and they get 650 horse out of that motor for the GT. I'm not going to come close to that myself.

LOL...
Do I really have to link it for you?
Those puny engines relying on boost die early,if it isnt the turbo it's the motor itself.

LOL...
Those puny engines relying on boost die early,if it isnt the turbo it's the motor itself.

So, we've got 4-5 million of them on the road. Over half a million of the 1st gens out there at 6-10 years old. So we are talking hundreds of thousands of F150 ecoboosts hitting 100k miles based on normal truck owner mileage.

I'd like to see the link to the failure rate now that we have a large source of data to use and how it compares to other engines...

LOL...

So, we've got 4-5 million of them on the road. Over half a million of the 1st gens out there at 6-10 years old. So we are talking hundreds of thousands of F150 ecoboosts hitting 100k miles based on normal truck owner mileage.

I'd like to see the link to the failure rate now that we have a large source of data to use and how it compares to other engines...
You can get 200,000+ miles out of most newer cars if you maintain them properly.

How Many Miles on a Car Before It Dies? (Tip: Maintenance is Key)

Last edited:
We just installed better ignition coils and different plugs in my friend's Focus ST. He also got new, lighter wheels and better tires. The thing is really dialed in nicely now. His brother has a 2016 GTI which I've also driven. A Stage One tune can get you a lot of HP in the GTI, so he may do that. Evidently the GTI engine is severely detuned, I suspect for fuel economy.

We just installed better ignition coils and different plugs in my friend's Focus ST. He also got new, lighter wheels and better tires. The thing is really dialed in nicely now. His brother has a 2016 GTI which I've also driven. A Stage One tune can get you a lot of HP in the GTI, so he may do that. Evidently the GTI engine is severely detuned, I suspect for fuel economy.
I saw somewhere that the Ford ST motor is detuned to 60% out of the factory.

I saw somewhere that the Ford ST motor is detuned to 60% out of the factory.

Could be. With the Cobb tuner, upgraded exhaust, CAI, Larger intercooler, coils, etc he's up to just over 300 HP at the wheels. I think stock they are 252 HP. I think the tune alone on the GTI can get you 60 HP. It is a no brainer.

Forum List

Back